Back home

Roll Like A Wolf

Chanyeol watched the slow rise and fall of his Alpha’s chest. Every time the larger wolf exhaled he caught the sight of the smaller body rolled behind him. The red tipped fur occasionally peering over. Chanyeol sighed, shaking his head a little at Kris’ choice of companion. His mind replayed the day over and over again, wishing that the sequence of events would change if he thought about it hard enough. The relentless memory of Baekhyun’s back view taunted him in his half awake state.

 

Then he felt it.

 

Chanyeol didn’t know what it was but it jerked him from his dreamy state. It tugged at his chest refusing to let go. He knew what it was and he knew if he ignored it he would regret this moment for the rest of his life. It was the sort of tugging that pulled at a person that is standing at a threshold. Not knowing whether to enter or turn back.

 

But he ignored it.

 

He couldn’t watch the snow-white wolf be swallowed by the rough tangle of bush again. He knew that if he went out, it would be the last time he would see Baekhyun. The tugging melded in with the beating of his heart, that painfully lulled him to sleep

 


 

“Wake up”

 

Tao’s eyes opened slowly at the warm beckoning of Kris’ voice. He blinked a few times, adjusting to the light that once again filled the den. The caramel brown eyes watched Tao as he slowly arose and stretched out the night’s sleep.

 

Kris watched with a smile playing in his eyes.

“Quickly, you’re the last one up”

 

Tao surveyed the room and saw that everyone had already evacuated the damp den for the warm sunlight outside. He followed the fresh tracks left by the wolves out into the clearing, with Kris not far behind. The morning greeted the pack with a tight embrac that radiated heat in thick waves from the sky.

 

As soon as Sehun caught sight of Tao, he bounded straight towards him after bathing in Kai’s attention. Tao greeted him with affection, his ears and nudging his chin. Kris, a little annoyed, stepped in with a small cough in his throat. Sehun glanced momentarily sideways at the alpha and seemed to smirk at his attempt to stop him.

 

“We’re all going hunting this morning,” Kris announced to the whole pack

 

“Bu-” Chanyeol’s protest was cut down by a sharp exchange with the alpha.

 

“Lay will be in-charge of Tao and Sehun while the rest of us are in formation. I want to remind you that they are not prisoners and are allowed out of this compound”

 

But you aren’t allowed to leave

 

The words intruded Tao’s thoughts, as he knew exactly what Kris was implying. He wanted to assimilate them into the pack. These words chilled Kris’ warm demeanour and sent Tao into alert. Tao didn’t know what he wanted. He knew he had to leave, but at what price? Would he be able to leave when the time came? Would Sehun be able to? Would he have to leave Sehun behind if he refused? These thoughts all rushed at Tao in a mad jumble of anxiety. His mind kept exploring the next question, building onto the tension inside his heart. He didn't know what he wanted but he knew the moment where he would have to choose would come soon.

 

Chanyeol eyed Tao and Sehun suspiciously but let it go at Lay’s soft nudge. Kai reluctantly left Sehun’s side and joined Chanyeol at his side.

"Try to keep up" Kris joked, playfully nipping at Chanyeol's ears, attempting to defuse the tension.

Kris left first in a fast sprint into the trees with Chanyeol and Kai close behind.

 

Lay allowed them to disappear in the forest first.

“Stay close,” he suggested after Tao and Sehun flanked his sides.  They then matched their paces and rushed into the forest after the trio.

 

“Where are Suho and Chen?” Tao panted between strides.

“They left before dawn and scouted a path for the rest of us. Kris picks up on the scents that they leave to make hunting more efficient” Lay answered.

 

Tao had never heard of this method of hunting before. They had always scouted individually then grouped back to hunt together. They didn't like be separated for long, the pack fought better as a group.

 

The thrill of the chase was something Tao missed, he enjoyed the trees as they brushed past his fur and the rocks that tickled his feet. The fear of being hunted through these woods hit him momentarily but he pushed them out of his thoughts and focused on the rush of the wind against his face. Suddenly, something else rushed past his face. It was the smallest silver of his scent, but Tao knew it was him. An image of those blue eyes cut into his vision, an invisible chain pulled him towards his alpha. Tao quickly glanced at Lay, thankful that he had not picked up the scent that would have been unfamiliar to him. His eyes travelled to Sehun, who had already been staring at Tao. Their eyes contact didn't break for the next ten paces.

 

Tao silently counted down in his head, as their telepathic conversation began, a battle between their eyes

 

Ten

 

“This is our chance to leave. Our only chance”

“But I can’t just leave Kai behind like this. I thought you didn’t want to leave Kris either”

“I don’t know what I want but I’m not leaving Luhan and the others like this. We can go home”

 

Nine

 

“My home has always been with you but I feel like a part of Kai now and I can’t leave without even saying goodbye”

 

Eight

 

“Sehun… I don’t want to force anything on you. What you do is up to you…but I’m going”

The last three words struck a chord with Sehun. It pained Tao to say it as well as he had no intention of leaving without Sehun.

 

Seven

 

“Don’t leave me…”

 

Six

 

“Then let’s go home”

 

Five

 

Sehun dug deep into Tao’s eyes and bore into the familiar blue and green eyes. As much as he connected with Kai, Tao was someone he would not leave. Sehun could betray the world, Kai and even himself, but not Tao.

 

Four

 

Sehun’s eyes said it all.

 

Three

 

Tao’s thoughts filled with Kris once more. The first time they met, the alpha’s gaze radiated with such warm.

 

Two

 

And he was about to betray those eyes. He clenched his teeth and signalled Sehun.

 

One

 

They both dug their claws into the earth and skidded to a halt. Lay too slow to react, kept up his pace. Tao and Sehun turned and grabbed hold of Luhan’s scent as they sprinted its direction. They both prayed that their legs would hold out all the way back to the pack.

 

They were going back home.

 


I know I’ve apologised for things being late many times, but I want to apologise again.

This year and last were big years for this fandom and I had a lot of things going on as well.

It’s not much of an excuse but I hope you all forgive me.

I really want to thank everyone that has supported this story and subscribed even though I haven’t been updating as much.

I am going to update another chapter in the next few days, as an apology and I hope you enjoy it.

This fic will be ending soon and as something extra I wanted you guys to give me your thoughts on whether you wanted a happy or sad ending. Of course we all like happy endings but for the other few of you out there, voice your opinions please J

Or the third option is to just let me write it out whether it is a happy or sad ending.

Thank you everyone that has subscribed, commented and upvoted. It means a lot that you enjoy my story.

Please stay tuned for the end

Thank you

 

exotichime