Odd

Cerulean

Chapter 7: Odd

My breath came out in ragged gasps at I rushed back to the apartments, the image of Len at the steps patiently waiting for me to unlock the doors of the room 607 flashing in my mind and encouraged me to hurry. Growls from my empty stomach slowed my already staggered pace, and skidding to halt, no doubt shaving off a good amount of my rubber soles, I looked up at an angry red light, shouldering my purse again and again.

I clenched my teeth, staring at the red light as if enough willpower and arrogance would change the glow to a fluorescent green, but I failed. I had realized that I told Len that I’d be there soon; however, I didn’t know work would carry out to be that long!

The moment the illumination of the harsh hand transformed into the cheerful walking sign, I bolted, stepping across the cracked white stripes against the crosswalk and kept the quick tempo of jogging until I reached the parking lot of the building, encountering a few crosswalks on the way, but I’d bypass them without any falter in my steps. I guess that time I was just lucky with the green lights.

I leaned against my knees, taking hungry gulps of cool air at the base of the slightly weathered stairs. I spotted Len’s vehicle, my heart beating frantically in my chest as I began to worry if Len had to wait long. To put it simply, I was a bit concerned about my etiquette, as it was rude to invite one and not show up at the correct time. Then again, Len insisted and begged to move in with me, so I can’t say I invited him, but merely accepted him into my household.

While clambering up the stairs I began to become aware of the appearance of my small apartment. It wasn’t anything big or roomy, just cozy and perfect for two. Everything was a bit plain with crème walls and cocoa couches and cabinets, anything wood really. There were plants placed here and there along with a couple of picture frames and ceramic pots to liven the place up, but all of it seemed like it came out of a magazine. Well-placed and elegant. Not really seeming like a place a college student would live at, but it was perfect for me. It made me anxious to think that Len might not enjoy being in such a boring place, with his outgoing personality and all, it probably wasn’t his cup of tea. Heck, I didn’t even know if he drank tea.

I was a bit out of breath by the time I reached the small dip in the flooring that helped me indicate my room, which was about five paces away. But I grew troubled the longer I was away from Len. I spotted his car earlier, so why haven’t I seen him yet? It was quite odd to me until I turned the knob, trying to make sure that no one attempted or succeeded in breaking into my room, and was astonished to find it unlocked. At first I was startled, and afraid that someone stolen my things, but the deeper I went into my apartment, the stronger the smell of food became.

“Rin-chan! Welcome home!” Len’s merry voice echoed in the small kitchen.

The sight of Len in one of my frilly pink aprons was quite hilarious, and I covered my amused smile with the back of my hand, shielding my expression a little too late. My worries of burglary dissipated when I saw Len’s girly attire, he wore it as if he was used to it made me crack up even more. “You look…great.” I gasped between small chuckles.

He gave me a lopsided smile and continued to stir whatever was in the large pot on the stove. “Yeah, yeah, well it was the only thing I could find. Oh, and did you know that you forgot to lock the door?”

I sighed, leaning against the doorway that led into the living room. “Mm, I assumed so after I walked in. I was expecting to find my place to be all messed up and my precious things stolen, not…this.” I gestured back to Len’s cute apron. I threw myself onto the couch, propping my legs onto the armrests with a deep sigh.

Len smirked, ladling the contents of the pot onto one of my transparent blue plates. “Long day?”

I grunted, “No, I’m a bit tired.”

“Yeah? Well, here,” He placed the dish onto the table, the bottom clattered harshly against the dark wood causing everything to jump. “You skipped lunch, so I made this,” Len gestured to the curry messily spooned onto the white lumps of rice.

I stared at it blankly, a little honored and astounded that Len decided to cook for me; however, the appearance of the dish seemed a bit unappetizing. “It looks terrible.” I said frankly yet vaguely exaggerating as I overturned a lump of cooked rice soaked in caramel-colored sauce.

Len wiped his hands, removed his ridiculous apron and moved to my side, sitting casually on the couch. I had a premonition that Len was already relatively comfortable with my apartment, and had seemed to consider it home even though he entered it a while ago. He took a glance at the untouched plate and frowned. “Hey, I worked hard on that. Eat it.

Make me.” I challenged him with a daring glare.

Len sighed, his shoulders dramatically rising up and down as he positioned himself, turning his torso towards mine and grabbing the plate in one hand. “Alright.”

What?

I gave him a strange look, mentally telling him that he was crazy.

He replied smoothly, “Well, you told me to make you.”

My eyebrows shot up, incapable of taking him seriously even though I figured that he’d do it. No, it was as if I couldn’t take him seriously. I just couldn’t force myself to, and it bothered me but I managed to brush the strange feeling off as Len began scooping stable piles of rice and curry and leveling it with my lips, his hand hovering below the shining utensil to catch any crumbs.

“Hurry or else it’ll fall.” He cooed, not doing a very good job reassuring me that his cooking was safe in any way possible.

I pressed my lips together, unable to open as it was embarrassing enough to see Len in a pink apron, but now he was feeding me like a child. I looked away from the glistening spoon inches away from my mouth and caught the sight of Len’s pink face, a little pleased to see him as physically flustered as I was emotionally. It proved that I was a tad better at hiding my emotions.

My mouth began to open, annoyed enough to attempt to get over with this farce as fast as possible, yet it was if I was a fish, parting my lips but quickly shutting them as fast as I had opened. I was too reluctant to let Len feed me, and it embarrassed me as well.

When I finally kept my mouth open for a decent amount of time, the heat emitting off Len’s cooking startled me so much that I jerked my head back, holding my hands against my lips and staring at the spoon in shock.

Len flinched, a few grains of rice tipping into his palm, and he quickly ate it up before turning back to me, eyes filled with concern. “You okay? Did I burn you?”

I shook my head, fingers still on my warm lips as if they’d protect my rose-stained flesh from the intense heat. “No, I was just startled. Can you blow on it?” It dawned on me that I could’ve cooled the curry myself but Len already commenced to blow, his puffed up cheeks sending gusts of air that wavered the white trails of steam rising from the rice.

“Here,” He raised the food back to my mouth and I took it in gratefully, the renewed feeling of awkwardness fluttering in my chest when I finally realized that he actually was going to hand feed me, so I at least had to try his cooking. And I had to admit, the moment the curry merely grazed my taste buds and the rich flavor of the curry beautifully bloomed and flowered until my whole body was embraced in a sort of homey feeling, I began to recognize that Len did an excellent job making this simple dish. I’ve never tasted such great tasting curry even in a restaurant, but maybe I was just biased.  

“Wow,” I mumbled sounding as if I was in a trance. I was still chewing; a hand blocked my lips to prevent any form of discourtesy when eating with my mouth open. “This is delicious.”

Len’s face broke out into a large smile and I stared up at him with faint awe. It was as if a cloud had finished passing over the sun, the bright rays of light filtering through the cracks of the clouds and then finally being able to break through, its glow shone a dazzling yellow, setting the room ablaze with intense radiance. “Right? I told you, I worked hard on this. It should be.”

He began to scoop another spoonful of the curry but I stopped him, lightly touching his hand with mine. “I can eat, I’m not a kid.”

Len’s sweet grin remained on his face. “Yeah? But isn’t it more fun this way?”

I was left without a way to bite back (no pun intended), and dejectedly ate the small portions after taking precautions and making sure Len had blown the spoon at least twice, as I didn’t want to burn my lips. This went on for a few minutes in silence that was surprisingly at ease, and as the dish emptied till its last scraps of rice and meat my belly ceased to groan. At last, I again sprawled over the couch, kicking my feet back onto the armrest as Len offered to wash the single blue dish, and since doing that simple task didn’t require much work, I allowed him.

“Better?” Len asked, placing the plate into the dish rack with a loud rattle.

I mumbled under my breath an agreement with incomprehensible words, but it seemed that Len didn’t need to hear what I said to understand. As he padded back to the couch, I turned my head towards him with bright, curious eyes. “Where did you learn how to cook like that?” I asked as Len quietly sat at the other end of the couch, next to my head.

For a moment I had thought that a painful  expression flashed across Len’s face, his lips twitching as if hesitant to speaking, however this all disappeared to be replaced with a wry smile. Searching deep into his eyes, I realized that his sudden mood swing was not a ruse my mind had cruelly tricked me into believing. No, because the immense sadness clouding Len’s cerulean eyes were true, even if his smile says otherwise.

“Ah, my mom taught me this recipe a long time ago.” Len said, his face revealing an unnatural smile alongside his forced positivity. I caught grief seeping into his tone, but didn’t think much of it except how I wanted to wipe this depression off his face. Maybe he was just a bit homesick.

Attempting to relieve him of his illness, I stood up. “Well, how about we sleep early?” I nodded at my own offer. “Yeah, I’m tired and you do not seem very high in spirits. Maybe a bit of shut eye will get us going for tomorrow?”

Len paused before showing his reassuring smile. Although it was only a few minutes, I missed that smile. 

“Alright.”

I quickly smoothed the pale sheets that lay on Len’s bed. I’ve had this apartment for about a year and yet, this was the first time someone would use this room. It was a replica of my own room, closets, lamp and furniture all the same; however, the large window that led into the balcony was missing and replaced with a plain wall coated with eggshell streaks of paint and a small painting centered. As my apartment room was on the top floor, there was a small square skylight on the ceiling, which was another example as to why Len’s and my room were slightly different.

He stretched out onto the spread with a sigh, and to my irritation, re-ruffled the sheets. Len turned his head towards me, half of his face buried into the plush pillow but the grin on his face remained visible. “Thanks, Rin-chan.”

I stood under the doorway, one hand on the frame with the other hugging my waist, his large luggage at my feet. I gave him a weak smile in return. “No problem. Just finish your nightly routine first.” I dragged his yellow bag deeper into his room and he moved to receive it with jerky motions. It was only about 19:00, but it looked like both of us needed some rest.

“Got it.” Len grunted as he dug though the pockets of his case, searching for his toothbrush.

Before leaving his room, I turned back. “Do you know where the bathroom is?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah.” Len said without lifting his head. “Found it!” He held up a small transparent bag filled with items required for teeth care.

The corners of my mouth lifted in a small smile as I mentally smirked, ‘Of course,’ when seeing that they were all in a differing shade of yellow.

“Night.” I left his room and moved into the bathroom, figuring that it might be a bit crowded if both Len and I were in the restroom together and tried to finish my routine as fast as possible. I managed to finish as Len entered, and I left quickly, squeaking an awkward, “Have a nice sleep.” Moving into my room, I sat on my bed, watching the noisy cars bustle around the streets, streaks of yellow red and blobs of green brightening the seemingly dark roads. Other fluorescent colors flashed amusingly on electronic ad boards. The honk of a train rang in the distance.

I stared in astonishment, really wondering if I could sleep through all this. I shifted against the bed, it making a slow growling sound, almost resembling a toad’s deep and throaty croak. With another creak, I pushed myself off the mattress and headed to my closet, plucking comfortable sleepwear that probably would’ve been mistaken for any daily outfit, or at least in my case.

I stripped off my skirt and replaced them with somewhat baggy maroon shorts, its purpose actually for running yet comfortable enough to call them nightclothes. ing my white flannel shirt, I began to slip my arms out of the sheer sleeves and remained in my undershirt, not bothering to change it until realizing that my light jog back to the apartment allowed me to sweat quite a bit. That thought disgusted me, and so I resumed changing into an orange t-shirt adorned with yellow silk bows.

The sun set slower than usual yet time seemed to have passed hastily this day, and now, I felt like I only woken up a couple of hours ago. Running into Len was a surprise, and now he lived, temporarily, with me until spring break where he’ll return to his own home. Of course, I allowed him to come back after each break ends so tardiness won’t constantly stamp his attendance. I shut my eyes, waiting for sleep to take hold of me.

I assume that this school year is going to be quite interesting.

A/N *Boop* Wow, I'm sorry guys! It seems that this chapter was finished the whole time...I just forgot...-_-" Wow. Sorry. Then I had this terrible writer's block that lasted a lo~ng time on chapter 8 and so I didn't post anything since I didn't have that chapter ready and UGH. Oh, well, hopefully I DON'T do that again! Thanks so much for reading Cerulean! :D