After all these years

After all these Years

"If only you knew what happened Kyuhyun. We wouldn't be like this, wouldn't we?" Sooyoung muttered as she continued to cry but Kyuhyun still heard it. Clearly.

"Pfffttt. Yeah right" He let out a scoff as the memories came rushing back and replayed inside his head over and over again. He even had to clench his jaw to prevent himself from bursting out. He then closes his eyes and brought his hands up to held his throbbing head, pain slowly creeping onto his mind. Ever since that dreadful day, he would always have nightmares and massive headaches which often brought him to hospital for several days to monitor his condition.

Upon realizing this, Sooyoung immediately held Kyuhyun's head whilst caressing his right cheek. She was both surprised and glad because he didn't shove her away and just let her touch him. But that didn't last long when she saw a single drop of liquid fell onto the table cloth followed by a series drop more.

There, Kyuhyun was also crying. Having to bear both the pain in his head and aching heart is too much already. The girl on the other side of the table fell into silence, thinking of an idea on how to help the crying guy.

She quickly got up from her seat and went beside him. She stood there for a while, contemplating if that is the right thing to do but her hesitation was soon washed away when the guy beside him starts to tremble. She immediately draped her thin arms around his shoulders and hugged him tight in hope of alleviating his pain, even a bit.

Slowly, Kyuhyun's breathing came back to normal. Sooyoung smiled, proud of herself that she managed to calm him just like the old times. Feeling relieved, she decided not to move from her current position, trapping Kyuhyun with her arms, hugging him.

Having his senses back, Kyuhyun harshly pushed Sooyoung away making her fall backwards and land on the floor with a loud thud along with some other utensils and food when she tried grabbing onto something to hold on. This caused the customers of the restaurant to stop what they were doing and looked at the sudden commotion.

Kyuhyun was taken aback, shock written all over his face. His eyes kept looking back and forth from his hands and onto Sooyoung. He didn't intend to push her away. And hell no did he intend to hurt her. He just did that out of pure reflex. Having to find the person who crushed and caused him grievous pain for the past 7 years of his life hugged him.............. of course it's natural to shove her away from him. But he DID NOT and WILL NEVER intend to hurt her. It just.............. happened.

Without further ado, he instantly averted his gaze from Sooyoung and stared somewhere, not wanting to see the hurt and pained expression on her face right now. He quickly searched for his wallet and placed some cash on the table.

"I'm sorry for the sudden mishap. Please continue what you were all doing a while ago" Kyuhyun bowed to the customers before heading to the door, not sparing a single glance at the girl on the floor.

"WAIT KYU!! STOP!!" Sooyoung stood up, ignoring the pain on her and followed him outside.

"I SAID STOP KYUHYUN!!" She yelled. Kyuhyun stopped on his tracks but remained still, giving his back to face her. Both of them are now in the middle of the road, all drenched because of the heavy rain.

"Turn around Kyu"

"I ALREADY TOLD YOU TO NEVER CALL ME WITH THAT NICKNAME!" Kyuhyun yelled as soon as he turned around to face her. He noticed that Sooyoung was startled because she just jerked from her position but she quickly regained her composure.

"AND WHY SHOULD I NOT CALL YOU THAT?!" She countered back.

"BECAUSE I ALREADY TOLD YOU TO NEVER CALL ME THAT WAY AND BECAUSE I SAID SO!!" He shouted with voice rising in each word that escaped his mouth.

"AND WHY SHOULD I FOLLOW YOU?! YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME! YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO TELL ME WHAT SHOULD OR SHOULD I NOT DO! Sooyoung also raised her voice, matching Kyuhyun's.

"Oh, Right!" He mocked "I'm not your boss. You don't even consider me as your boyfriend. I'm just nobody to you" He chuckled bitterly and let his tears stream down his face. Good thing it's raining quite heavy, his tears were completely hidden from view.

"No Kyu, you don't understand" Sooyoung crooked as she buries her face in her hands. Kyuhyun could easily tell that she's also crying, judging from her trembling shoulders up to the sound of her sobs.

"Tell me Sooyoung what part do I not understand, because I'm sure I understand it all. STARTING FROM THE PART WHERE YOU BETRAYED ME, THE PART WHERE YOU HURT ME, UP TO THE LAST PART WHERE YOU ABANDONED ME. Now tell me Sooyoung" He moved closer and removes her hands that were covering her face. His face softens when he saw the doleful expression in her face "What part do I not understand?"

"E-e-everything" Soooyoung choked out as more tears gush out from her eye sacs. Kyuhyun watched her as she shed more tears, flowing continuously one after the other like it will never ever stop. He had this little urge inside of him to hug and comfort the whimpering girl but his anger and pride got the best of him and so, he just stood there, watching her.

Amidst of all the raining and crying, Kyuhyun could still see the stunning beauty of the creature trembling in front of him. Her skin glowing and radiating despite the poor lighting of the surroundings due to the horrible weather. Even if she was all wet and drenched, broke and melancholic, trembling and whimpering, for him........ She was still the most beauteous girl he had ever set his eyes upon on. Breathtaking. Heart-stopping. Priceless.

Kyuhyun soon realized that he was still crying and it seems like he's not going to stop anytime soon. The tears that were pouring down, runs along his well-defined features creating hot traces that made him feel a light burning sensation on his skin. It made him feel delighted and at the same time uneasy, just like what Sooyoung is doing to him now. It gives off a feeling of contentment to see the girl who hurt him, now in pain and vulnerable just like what he experienced. He wanted her to feel the pain he had been through for the past 7 years. But a part of him also feels uneasy because he never wanted to see the girl he loved the most broke. To be hurt and be in pain. He just wants her to be happy. That's all he ever wanted for her. For him. For themselves. His trains of thoughts were soon put to an end when Sooyoung spoke.

"I-I was s-stuck. I-I don't know what to d-do" She managed to say as she cried harder. Kyuhyun then moved closer and wiped her tears with his thumb while staring at her with soft and tender eyes, signaling her to continue. He feels that this was the right time to hear her explanations. To hear her side. To know why she did that. But most of all, to erase the pain in his and her heart.


~Flashback~

Sooyoung woke up to the sound of a ringing phone echoing all throughout her apartment. She lazily sat up from her bed and took her phone from the side table. She squinted her eyes, trying her very best to see the screen, it showed 3:27 a.m. 

'Ughh... who would call at this time?' She thought for a moment. She then rubbed her eyes to clear her vision. Slowly, her sight became clear and she stared again at her phone. Her eyes almost popped out of its sockets when she saw the caller I.D. ‘OMAAA calling~’ without wasting any time, she quickly pressed the green button.

"Omma, why did y-----"

"Sooyoung, dear, we need you. We need you here. Please come here. Please dear" Her mother cut her off and spoke frantically.

"Omma, I will. Just stop and take a breath first. You're running out of air you know that" Sooyoung mother to shake off the negative feeling. She heard mother took a big breath on the other line. After making sure that she already calmed down, she bravely asked a question.

"Omma, why? What's wrong? Did something bad happen?" She clutched the phone tightly in her hands. Preparing for what's coming on her way.

"Sooyoung....... a-are company..... i-it's in the verge of b-bankrupt. Your father and sister are so stressed out. They need you. We need you." Her mother replied in a pleading tone.

"I understand. I'll book a flight there later after I finish and settle everything here first, then by tomorrow before dawn, I'll be there" Sooyoung said with much certainty. When it comes to family, she'll do everything for them. Anything. Even sacrificing her own happiness. That's how much she loves her family.

"Thank you so much Sooyoung. We really owe you a lot. And about your flight here, you don't have to worry about that. Your dad will pick you up sometime next week. Okay dear?"

"Oh, okay omma. Don't tire yourself too much and also appa and unnie. Take care"

"Will do dear. Now go to sleep, I think I interrupted your deep slumber. It's around 3 in the morning there right?"

"Yeah. You too. Sleep tight" With that, Sooyoung pressed the red button, ending their conversation. She then put the phone away and lay again on her bed.

“I need to tell this to Kyuhyun" Was the last thought that crossed her mind before going to her dreamland.

Morning came and as usual, Sooyoung did her morning routines. She went to take a refreshing shower, wore casual clothes for work, and ate breakfast. But as soon as she stepped outside, she saw a man standing in front of her apartment door.

"Appa" She squealed like a little girl and tackled him for a tight hug. She can't even remember when was the last time he saw him. She quickly shooed those thoughts away and instead bombarded him with questions.

"Appa, how have you been doing? Are you eating well? Do you get enough sleep? Is the work stressing you so much? Is Soojin helping?"

"Calm down Sooyoung. Geez, you're just like your mother" He laughed.

"First, I'm doing perfectly fine. Second, yes, thanks to your diet guide. Third, yes, an old man needs his proper rest. Fourth, yes but I'm managing it pretty well. And lastly, yes. Your sister is indeed a great help to me" He replied each questions calmly to erase Sooyoung's worry.

"Well that's good to hear. But aren't you supposed to be here next week, just like what mom told me?" Sooyoung asked out of curiosity. He then adjusted his tie and fixed his suit.

"I came here early because I wanted to see my youngest daughter so much" He hugged her daughter affectionately "And also to tell you that we're gonna leave in 4 days"

"What?! In 4 days?! UGH! I only have 4 days to fix my office works" Sooyoung ruffled her hair in exasperation "Anyway, how long will I be staying there? 6 months prior?"

"You don't have to worry about that Sooyoung. I already handled it" His father reassured him.

"Really? You did all my paper works? WOAH! That's daebak!" Sooyoung showed a fist pump earning a laugh from her father.

"Well, I did handle it all but I didn't do your paper works" Sooyoung cocked her head sideway, confused on what her father had said"What I mean is............ You're not going back here anymore. You're staying in America for good"

"W-what? You know I can't do that dad. I have friends here. My work. And I have a boyfriend" Sooyoung tried to reason out.

"I knew you'll say that. That is also one of the reasons why I came here earlier than expected. To persuade you" He eyed the pictures that were lined up on the table and onto the walls, particularly the guy, Kyuhyun was his name he presumed.

 "I want you to break up with him"

Soooyung looked at him with so much shock "Appa, you know I can't do that. I love him"

"Then choose Sooyoung. I want you to choose. Him, your boyfriend. Or Us, your own family" Sooyoung looked down, not knowing what to answer. A moment ago, her father was all fun and loving but now, he's totally different. He was now a cold and selfish man.

"Appa, don't do this! I-I don't want to choose between you two. Please, stop this. Jaebal!" She pleaded to her father and slumped down, knees not being able to support her own weight. Her father soon knelt down and touched his daughter's face before heading to the door and disappearing from her sight.

Sooyoung just kept still on the cold tiled floor. She pulled her knees together, burying her face between them and cried her heart out until she fell asleep. Another day passed and Sooyoung's phone suddenly rang. She ignored the ringing and continued to wonder in her own thoughts but the ringing sound became more and more annoying as it continued over and over again, not even stopping for a second. Leaving her irritated and stressed out from all the problems she was thinking. She dragged her body all the way to her room since she slept on the living room the whole night and answered her phone without even bothering to look at the caller I.D.

"Soo!" Sooyoung cringed as the person on the other line shouted.

"Yah! Hyoyeon-ah! You don't need to shout you know" She answered irritatingly.

"Oops. I didn't mean to do that. But seriously, you need to come here quickly. We're at the Seoul National Hospital, room 344"

"Wait, who's 'we' you're talking about?" Sooyoung asked but the only answer she received is a sound of *beep*. Just then, she suddenly received a text from Hyoyeon.

From: HyoChoding 
P.S: Your boyfriend is at the hospital with me right now.

He got into a car accident earlier this morning. 

P.S again: I forgot to tell you a while ago. Peace!

After reading Hyoyeon's message, Sooyoung immediately made a mad dash to the bathroom and took shower then she randomly wore any clothes she saw and went outside to her car. After driving for several minutes, she arrived at the hospital. She parked her car near the entrance and sprinted to room 334.

 Her heart beats faster than usual. She feels all nervous just by standing at the door. She doesn't want to see the love of her life all bruised and hurt but she has to. She has to be strong. He needs her more than ever. Slowly, she opened the door and took a peek inside. It's all silent. 

‘Maybe Kyuhyun's sleeping’  She thought and proceeded inside, trying to braven up herself in each step she took. After walking further inside, she saw Kyuhyun on the bed, sleeping peacefully. She scanned his whole body, there's no bruise or whatsoever on any part of his body.

"Don't worry Soo, I'm fine. Hyoyeon just wanted to trick you" The supposed to be sleeping figure spoke up making her surprised. She quickly run to his side and held his hand.

"Don't worry, it's just a scratch" Kyuhyun smiled as he sat up from the bed and showed her the bruise on his left arm "I was lucky enough that I was already out of my car before another car collided with it"

"I'm sorry" She muttered and buried her face on his broad chest.

"What are you apologizing for? We both know it's not your fault. It's just an accident, so don't say sorry"

"Still, I'm sorry" She apologized again. Not knowing why but she just feels that she had to.

After the tiring event today, Sooyoung returned in her apartment. She was startled again when she saw her father already inside her apartment.

"Appa! How did you get here?" She asked a bit amused and flabbergasted.

"Well, I have my own ways. And when I mean my own ways, it also includes your boyfriend being sent to the hospital this morning" Her father smirked.

"What are you talking about? Wait..... Don't tell me.... You're the reason why Kyuhyun's in the hospital?" Her father laughed maniacally.

"You're correct. I hired someone to crash his car. But don't worry, I did not intend to kill him. I just want to give you a warning" He smiled wickedly.

"But why? Why are you doing this?" Sooyoung sounded desperate. Desperate to hear her father's reason.

"Because he will be a burden to your work. You will get distracted because of him. You'll lose focus. Concentrate my child"

"But I can handle it. I'm serious in work appa. I can handle both. Just don't do this anymore" She tried to persuade him.

"He will just become a hindrance to your success. To our success. And that I don't want to happen" He then grabbed something inside his coat and placed it in front of Sooyoung.

 "Here is the ticket. If you choose us, go to the airport and leave that man BUT if you choose him, then you better prepare yourself for a bloody scene" He then stood up and went to the door but before going outside, he spoke.

"And oh, you only have 2 more days to decide" And vanished from her view.

Again, Sooyoung didn't know what to do. She just cried and cried all night until sleep took over her consciousness. Morning came with the sun shining so brightly, cold breeze entering the room, and birds chirping gleefully but Sooyoung did not feel any happiness. Even a bit. She just felt broken. Devastated. Helpless. Tiringly, she sat up from her position and stretched her body. She groaned hearing some of her bones crack, having to sleep again on the floor really brought her body in a bad condition. She went to her room and checked her phone.

From: EvilKyu~ 
Hey shikshin! I just want to tell you that I got release 
from the hospital! L(>o<)/ 

You better look for me now! 

P.S: (Here's a clue) I'm at our favorite cafe

Sooyoung chuckled reading her boyfriend's dorkiness. This is really one of the things she needs the most right now to forget her problems and worries even for a short time only. After processing what the text message meant, Sooyoung immediately went to the bathroom, washing herself, wearing random clothes, and went outside her apartment. She was all worried that something bad might happen to Kyuhyun now that he's out in the public, being a more vulnerable target to his father.

Upon arriving at the said cafe, Sooyoung rushed out from her car and entered the place. She scanned the whole place with keen eyes, hoping to find the person she loves sitting safe and sound. After several minutes of looking around in the crowded cafe, she finally gave up and decided to call him instead.

~Ring Ring Ring~

"Hello, this is Kyuhyun speaking"

"Kyu, it's me, Sooyoung. Where are you?" She asked with a concerned voice.

"Oh, I don't think I'll be able to come there. Something came up"

"Really, what happened?"

"My sister just fell from the stairs in her office then mom and dad got into a car accident, just like me. But don't worry, they're all fine now. The doctor said it's not that serious. They all just acquire some bruise here and there" Kyuhyun replied reassuringly.

"I-I see. Then just take care. And tell them to be safe. S-sorry" She quickly hang up her phone and head straight home. She jolly well knows who did this. It's no other than her own father. She quickly tossed herself on the bed, not bothering to change her clothes and went to sleep.

~Ring Ring Ring~

Sooyoung answered her phone that kept ringing for the past 2 hours ever since she arrived. A soft and low voice entered her ears as the man on the other line spoke.

"How are you Sooyoung?"

"Appa, how could you? How could you do that to Kyuhyun's family?!" Sooyoung shouted not bothering to answer his question. Her father laughed mischievously.

"I already answered that for you right. I'll force you to break up with him"

"Please, stop. You don't have to do this" Again, Sooyoung pleaded for the nth time around.

"I just want you to make the right decision. Remember Sooyoung, you only have less than 24 hours to decide and I'm expecting you to choose the correct one" The man hang up, leaving a very troubled and confused Sooyoung behind. Staring at the white ceiling above her, so many thoughts rushed inside her head. After hours and hours of thinking and contemplating, she finally came to a decision. 

"Leave him"

End of Flashback~


Kyuhyun just stared at the girl in front him, trying to process all the information she had said just now. He couldn't believe that Sooyoung had gone through that kind of experience. It must have been really hard for her. Making her choose between her family and him. And on top of that, her very own father was the one who made her choose and even threatened her. Slowly, his arms wrapped instinctively around her, securing her. He now understands why she did that. And he now knows that he was not the only one hurt, in fact, she might had been more hurt than him. Maybe twice or even thrice.

"It's okay Sooyoung. I understand and I'm....... I’m sorry. Sorry for everything" He kissed the top of her head. Slowly, Sooyoung's cries subsided. She gently pushed Kyuhyun away and grabbed something from her pocket. She then knelt down and presented a red velvet box. With trembling hands, she opened it. There lays a simple yet elegant ring.

"Will you, Cho Kyuhyun, a devilishly gamer and an annoying and irritating person who loves to tease me......... acccept me, Choi Sooyoung, the girl whom you thought had abandoned and forgot about you but in truth, still loves you to the fullest……..”

She paused for a moment.

 "Be your wife?" Sooyoung said with so much love in each word and stared lovingly at him. Kyuhyun took the ring and helped her stand up.

"No" He answered shortly. Sooyoung looked down at the wet asphalt under them.

"I-I guess I w-was already l-late huh" She tried to joke but her voice came out crookedly. Kyuhyun then rummaged something inside his pocket and knelt down too, just like what Sooyoung did a while ago and opened the box revealing a silver ring.

"Will you, Choi Sooyoung, the girl who has a set of aegyo that calls for a punch and a stomach of a dinosaur....... accept me, Cho Kyuhyun, the man who hated and despised you for 7 long years because of not knowing the real reason" 

He showed her a toothy grin.

“Be your husband?" Sooyoung also took the ring and let him stood up.

"Nope" She too answered the same. Kyuhyun's jaw dropped.

"What? Why not?"

"Because you rejected my proposal" She stuck her tongue out at him.

"Well that's because it's a guy's task to propose. Not the other way around" Kyuhyun reasoned out.

"Still, you rejected me, that's why I'm rejecting you too." She crossed her arms and acted stubbornly.

"Why you..... Come here!!" Kyuhyun shouted and chased her around, ignoring the heavy rain that was pouring. He swiftly held her waist and tickled her.

"Hahaha! Stop Kyu! Stop!" Sooyoung pleaded as she tried hard not to burst in laughter.

"No, not unless you say 'I do'" And he continued to tickle her.

"Okay okay. I do. I do!" Hearing those, Kyuhyun immediately stopped his tickling assault.

"Do you really mean that?" Sooyoung leaned her forehead to his and intertwined their hands together.

"I do" Kyuhyun couldn't contain his smile anymore and grinned widely. He soon spotted something from his peripheral view, their rings to be exact. He brought their hands up near to him and examined it. That's when it hit him! They actually have the same ring. An identical one.

"Wow! We bought the same ring" Kyuhyun sounded like an elementary kid who was all excited to see something.

"Pabo! These were the ring we both promised to buy in the future" Sooyoung knocked his head.

"So you still remembered"

"Of course I did" She smiled. Kyuhyun then moved closer to her.

"After all these years, we still ended up together" And closed the gap between their lips.


THE END

thank you for reading~ ^o^/