Chapter 24

You Can't Control Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I lay in my bed and thought about last night.  Why was I so concerned about Bang anyways? I wasn’t supposed to be like this towards him. Last night, I stayed with him for an hour or so until he insisted he had to get some work done. I could have ended it right there but I also took it upon myself to get him some tea.

I groan and pull myself out of bed. There was no point thinking about it now. What’s done has been done.

After washing my face, I went downstairs. I stopped at the bottom of the steps after seeing everyone in the living room. I knew what this meant and my first instinct was to run upstairs back into my room and hide. I spun around quickly before Bang called out.

“Na Ri, come here.”

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before turning back. I stood in front of the boys and waited for Bang to tell me the awful news that there was somewhere we needed to go.

Bang looked at me before he spoke out. “Today you can stay home if you promise me something.”

I looked up in surprise. So God hasn’t forsaken me. “Anything.” I answered without hesitation.

“No matter what, you stay in the house.” Bang said sternly and I nodded my head without thinking it over. I didn't have to.

“I promise.” I would promise anything if it meant I didn’t have to come with them. My body has gone through enough. I didn’t need another injury to remind me of all the trips I had to go on.

Bang nodded. “Good. We’ll head out then.” The boys stood up and followed after Bang. My eyes watched Him Chan who had been quiet the entire time. I guess their fight hasn’t been resolved yet. “If you need anything, call me.” Bang said before opening the door and leaving.

***

Like I promised, I stayed inside the house and didn’t think once about leaving. I was just counting down the hours before Chin Ho would come home from school and relieve my boredom. If I was still working at the hospital, I would be running around right now, busy with errands to do. 

But, I wasn’t anymore. My life had changed drastically. There would be days where I was busy but I was scared out of my wits and there would be days where I would do nothing and couldn’t wait until the day ended. Life with Bang had no in betweens. It was always one extreme to another. I pulled out my medical books to read some more when my phone went off. Was Bang so worried that I would break my promise that he had to call and make sure? I picked up my phone thinking that I would hear Bang’s voice when a female voice spoke instead.

“Ms. Kim? I’m calling from Seoul’s Hospital.”

“Yes, can I help you with anything?” It was only yesterday that I gave them my number, did something go wrong?

“Yes, you’re listed under Yoo Ha Mi’s emergency contact and I’m sorry to inform you that she is in critical condition at the moment.”

My heart jumped painfully in my chest while I straightened up in bed. “What do you mean?”

“This morning, she unfortunately experienced an allergic reaction from one of her pills.”

“Okay, I’m coming right away.” I shut off the phone and quickly dialed the taxi’s number. “Can you come to the Bang’s residence please, right away?”

After getting the confirmation, I quickly got dressed and headed out the door. In just five minutes, I broke two promises. I called a taxi with the new number and I was about to leave the house. Yet, right now, halmeoni mattered more than the promises I made with Bang. I didn’t even know why those promises were so necessary to begin with.

Soon, I received a phone call and rushed out the house to the awaiting taxi in the driveway.

As soon as the taxi came to a stop, I paid and sprinted into the hospital and found the nurse at the front desk. “I’m Yoo Ha Mi’s family, what room is she in?”

“302.” The nurse typed in her name and told me the room.

“Thank you.” I didn’t focus on anything, just that I needed to get to the room quickly and check on halmeoni myself. I got into the elevator and got off at the third floor. I knew this hospital inside and out and quickly found the room.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter