Chapter 23

You Can't Control Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I can’t believe I’m here right now.” I stated blankly and Bang looked up from his paperwork to offer me his attention.

“You brought it up yourself last night.” He said amusingly before going back to the task on his desk.

“I didn’t mean it literally!” I gaped at him. This morning Bang forcibly removed me from my bed and made me get ready. He was seriously taking my ‘24/7’ joke too seriously and took me to work so he could keep an eye on me.

“I have work.” He shushed me.

Oh my God. I can’t stand him.

I looked down at the medical books that Bang had taken the liberty to take from my room and pushed it aside. I stared at him irritably. “You can’t expect me to read for the entire day.”

“Just until lunchtime, now would you sit there quietly?”

I bit my lip and paused for a moment. “I won’t shut up.”

“Na RI.” Bang groaned and sat back in his chair. “What do you want me to do, entertain you?”

I arched my brow at him. “You should have left me at home.”

“Na Ri, do you see this company?” He spread his arms out. “I own this place.” I rolled my eyes and he continued to speak. “I will find an empty room here and lock you in there if you don’t be quiet.” He warned me.

But was I going to take him seriously? No. “I’m hungry.”

He sighs loudly. “Would you –“ He pauses and takes a deep breath before speaking in a calmer voice. “Wait until lunchtime.”

“Fine.” I gritted my teeth.

***

“Where do you want to eat?” It was finally lunchtime and Bang was driving around trying to find a place. “How about there?” He pointed at a restaurant out my window.

“No. I told you I don’t like those kinds of things.” It was the fifth expensive place he had pointed out and I thought he would understand by now that I didn’t like it when large amount of money is to be spent.

“That one?”

“No.”

“That one?”

I didn’t bother looking this time because I knew I wouldn’t like it. “No.”

He glanced at me. “Fine, where do you want to go?”

I looked around until I saw the street food stalls. “Let’s go there.” He didn’t say anything but drove over and parked. I could already smell what they had there. We both walked over until I found the spicy rice cake stand and my lips at the delicious sight.

“Auntie, 2 orders please.” I smiled and she quickly got to work. We both took a seat and when the order was finished, I couldn’t help but dig in. I looked over at Bang and saw that he didn’t touch his food. Instead, he was just staring down at the plate.

“What is it? You don’t like it?” I asked.

He looked up and shook his head. “It’s just been awhile.”

“Then, hurry and eat it. You’re missing out.” I nudged his arm and he grabbed a fork. I was sure I saw a smile playing on his lips for a moment before he started filling his mouth with the steaming street food.

***

I took the last bite and sighed in satisfaction. “This is my favorite place.” I smiled and looked over at Bang. “My parents took Chin Ho and I here all the time when we were younger.” I watched the auntie work and memories flashed through my mind.

“My sister used to bring me here too.”

I snapped my head in his direction. It was the first time Bang has ever talked about himself and it was the first time he has ever mentioned a sister. I expected a nostalgic smile but instead, he looked anything but happy.

“You guys don’t come here anymore?”

He shook his head. “No, not anymore.”

“Then, we can come here again next time.” I offered. “It doesn’t mean we have to stop coming around.” Soft chuckles slipped from my lips.

A smile tugged at his own. “I guess.” He paid for our orders and we got up to return to the parked car. “Alright, now you’ll stay quiet and behave, right?”

“You only fed me so I would be quiet?”

“Yes.” He bluntly answered.

“Whatever you want, Mr. Bang.” I imitated the workers at his company. They were well-behaved, like how Bang wanted people to act. Though annoyance was what I was hoping for, he smiled instead. 

***

Bang was back to work and I was back to being bored. “Bang, I can’t do this.” I pushed my medical book aside again. My eyes were getting tired and a yawn was leaving my lips every few seconds.

Nope, I can't do it.

“Na Ri, can you at least let me get this done?” He looked at me, annoyed.

I glanced at the couches and got up once getting an idea. “Fine.” I walked over to the couches and promply lied down - I'll just sleep the rest of the day away.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter