Chapter 16

You Can't Control Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up and realized that I had forgotten that I had to visit halmeoni today. But, with what happened last night I don’t even think that would be possible. There was only one solution that came to mind.

I got dressed and literally paced back and forth in my bedroom to mentally prepare myself for what I was going to do. I was still angry of course for the way he spoke to me but at the moment, visiting halmeoni was more important. I did breathing exercises and I pepped myself but it didn’t seem to be enough.

But all of those worries were pushed aside when I realized Bang was going to leave soon and I wouldn’t have a chance to even talk to him. It was now or never.

I had to beg.

“Bang!” I opened my door, catching him walking by me in his usual suit for the company. He turned and gave me a blank look - his usual expression. “About last night, I take back my words.” I pressed my lips together. It pained me to say it more than I could imagine. This was like saying I give in to him.

“It’s not going to change anything.” He went to turn to leave.

“Wait!” He stopped and looked at me. I took a deep breath. “I’ll do whatever you want me to do from now on.” I said quietly. When I said those words, it really felt like I was betraying myself and everything I believed in. But, I kept telling myself that halmeoni was worth all of it. I hate myself now, but I would hate myself more if I didn’t keep my promise to her.

Bang let out a short laugh. “You’re going to listen to me from now on.” I nodded reluctantly. He looked at me for a second before turning towards the stairs. “Take Daehyun with you.” When I heard that, I felt myself release a breath that I didn’t know I was holding.

I followed him downstairs and walked up to Daehyun.

“Daehyun take her to the hospital.” Bang nodded my way.

Daehyun got up and followed me out.

“Na Ri, I’m giving you two hours.”

I closed my eyes. “Okay.” I managed to squeak out and shut the door behind us.

***

I was staring out of the window when I heard something that surprised me.

Daehyun speaking.

To me.

Yeah I know.

“You’re being obedient.” Did his first three words towards me have to be those? He really knew how to make people mad with such little words.

“Yeah, I like changing things up.”

“I can see you struggling.” Really, every word that is coming out of his mouth is really raising my blood pressure.

“You really have a knack for irritating people.” I gave him a tightlipped smile. He doesn’t look at me and continue to look straight ahead as he drives.

“I’m not as good as you.”

I was speechless, this was the first time where I didn’t have a comeback and it was because of Daehyun, out of all people.

“I really liked you better when you didn’t speak to me.” I turned around after saying that to look out the window again but when I glanced back, I saw a small smile playing on his lips.

Weird kid.

***

“Hi, halmeoni!” I opened the door. Instead of finding her smiling back, I saw a frown etched on her face.

“You know I have been getting my shots, following my part of the deal.”

I knew exactly why she was upset with me. But, if only she knew why I couldn’t come, she would cry sympathetic tears for me. “I know, I’m sorry I didn’t come visit you like I said.” I gave her an apologetic smile and went closer to her bed to sit down.

“It’s fine. You have a job to be responsible for.” She sighs and glances behind me. “You brought him again.” She smiled and motioned for him to come closer.

Daehyun does so and without me telling him this time, he greets her. “Hi again, halmeoni.”

She smiles and squeezes his hand. “You’re keeping an eye on her? Make sure she comes to visit me.”

“I will.” He gave her a small smile. Once letting go of his hand, he walks behind me to take a seat in one of the chairs against the wall.

“So, work has made you too busy for me, huh?” She glares playfully at me.

“It was especially busy yesterday, I’m sorry.” Well the boys were busy and then I was too busy reading the medical books that visiting halmeoni slipped my mind.

“I’ll let you off this time, but never again.” She waved a finger in front of me.

I grabbed her hand squeezed it. “I promise.”

“Is Yoo Yong Guk treating you right?”

“Huh? Who is – “ My eyes widened. Oh my God, she remembered the made-up name. “Right, he is – he is treating me… you know like normal.” I weakly laughed. When it came to these things, I really couldn’t keep a straight face and lie about Bang.

Halmeoni eyes me suspiciously. For a second I thought she caught onto my lie so I closed my mouth out of nervousness. She leaned in so she could whisper. “You have a thing going on with your boss?”

I jerked backwards and blurted. “No!” I couldn’t have gotten that word out faster than I did. “Of course not!”

She le

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter