Forgetting to Breathe

The Difference Between Then and Now

Why would he do that? That was the question that ran through Gui Gui’s mind after he left. She hated Ok Taecyeon. Right then after the door slammed behind him, she decided that she hated Ok Taecyeon. She decided to tell him the truth and all she got from that is nothing but what she already received before. Tricks.

 

Of course, he would apologized. No matter how much of a badass he was, he would always apologize. Only because it’s the right thing to do. Because he has manners. And he did admitted that he shouldn’t have done that. It must have been the alcohol. Let’s just blame it all on the alcohol.

 

She tossed and turned in her bed that night. She couldn’t sleep, she couldn’t think. Her mind was in a jumble and she was too angry. A little after midnight, she decided she would see whether the gym was open to release her frustrations. Once she got to the gym, she was greeted by the sight of Taec’s sweating shirtless form on the treadmill. She didn’t eve dare to go in. She wasn’t going to show any emotions to him. She left the gym without even going on to go to the swimming pool instead.

 

The hotel has a nice indoor swimming pool on the 24th floor overlooking the busy city. Gui Gui was able to talk the workers to let her use their pool after hours—her schedule being the reason. Taec must have done the same with the fitness center. All thoughts of Taec aside, Gui Gui swam with all her might in the pool. Somewhere in between , she had started crying loudly without her realizing so herself. Her tears and the water from the pool mixed together. If it wasn’t for her loud sobs, no one would be able to tell she was crying. Soon her arms began to cramp and she let herself sank down to the bottom of the pool holding her breath.

 

After running on the treadmill on full speed, Taec decided to freshen up at the pool. He had already enter the pool when he heard loud sobbing noises. At first he thought it was a ghost or something—a sound only the Martyl would make. But then he made out an outline of someone in the pool beating at the water with her arms. When he realized that it was Gui Gui, he hid on the corner where it was darker. He watched with pity as Gui Gui cried and screamed. He couldn’t do anything more than watch her. For one moment he took his eyes off of her and the next, she was gone. He was sure she did not leave, that would require her to pass his hiding place. Plus, he would have heard her coming out of the water.

 

He ran to the edge of the pool as he panicked. He made out Gui Gui’s outline in the water with her arms splayed out and her eyes closed. She seemed to be holding her breath on purpose. After debating with himself for two minutes whether he should pull her out or not, he jumped in after her. He did his best pushing her out of the pool before pushing himself out.

 

She was unconscious. Her eyes were shut tightly, and she was still holding her breath. She had escaped to dreamland.  This wasn’t the first time she had done this. She did, once before, the same thing in a bathtub in Taiwan. It was after she found out about Jessica. Her manager found her and she was rushed to the hospital quickly. It happened again in China while she was shooting a movie. There was a lake nearby the shooting site and she had gone for a dip to cool herself off. She held her breath and forgot to ever let go and surfaced. That happened on their supposed two years anniversary. Aaron found her that time. This was her way of forgetting Taecyeon. It was not the best way, but it was what worked best.

 

It wasn’t that she intentionally held her breath with the hope of dying. She ended up being rushed to the hospital every time because her brain simply forgot. In order to forget whatever Taecyeon was reported doing, her brain had forgotten to tell herself to breathe again. It was the cheesiest thing she had ever heard coming out of a doctor. But if it was a doctor saying it, it must have been right. After the visit with the doctor, her manager and Aaron were always on the watch on news on Taec. If something came out that they think would weary Gui Gui, they would rush to her side and made sure she wouldn’t go anywhere near a body of water, no matter how small.

 

Back to the story. Taecyeon had gotten her out of the pool and she was unconscious. He didn’t hold a license in CPR, but he knew the basic. And at that point, he would do whatever he could to make Gui Gui breathe again. He did basic CPR to get the water out of her lungs and to get her to start breathing again. He continued to do this while murmuring to himself to keep going. Every now and then he would mumble something for Gui Gui, but it was mostly insults at himself at how badly he treated her.

 

After many tries, he was able to get her to start breathing again, but she was still unconscious. This happen all the time after her episode. She would sleep peacefully for hours before she wake up feeling refreshed. Taec then put on his wife beater and gathered up Gui Gui’s stuff and his in one pile. He wrapped a large towel around Gui Gui’s bikini clad body before picking her up bridal style. He put her stuff and his on her stomach and made his ways down to her room. Thankfully he still had her room key with him.

 

Once in her room, he lied her down on her bed. Not knowing what else he should do, he unlocked her phone. He guessed her password right the first time—the date of their first meeting. He went through her most recent contacted person and there were only two people, her manager and a guy named Aaron. He knew Aaron was in Korea, seeing how they hung out together that afternoon, but he didn’t feel like calling Aaron for help. Calling her manager wouldn’t help either. Calling her manager would be hard since it was already past midnight in both countries. In the end he decided to call Aaron.

 

“Ni hao ma?” Aaron responded after two rings.

 

“It’s Taecyeon,” Taec replied.

 

“Taecyeon?” Aaron said questioningly. “Why are you using Gui Gui’s phone?”

 

“I need your help,” the Korean admitted shamelessly. “Gui Gui is unconscious.”

 

“Unconcious? What the hell happened?” Aaron demanded worriedly.

 

“She drowned—I think,” Taec explained truthfully. “I found her at the bottom of the swimming pool here at the hotel. I brought her back to her room, but I don’t know what else to do. She’s still not awake.”

 

“Is she breathing?” Aaron asked urgently.

 

“Yeah, I got the water out and got her to start breathing again.” Taec looked at Gui Gui’s slummed body on the bed. “Do I need to bring her to the hospital?”

 

“No need to go to the hospital.” There was a pause on the line as Aaron said something to someone in Mandarin. “Do you see her suitcase?”

 

Taec looked around the room and found the suitcase at the edge of the bed. “Yes, I see it.”

 

“Open it and there should be an IV set in there,” Aaron explained. “Do you know how to insert the needle in the vein?”

 

“I have the IV, but I’m not confident in putting anything in her vein.” He went back by Gui Gui’s side with the IV.

 

“I would come by and do it for you, but I really can’t get out of this right now.” Aaron sighed over the phone. “You’re a smart guy. I heard you got your Master’s degree. You can at least follow directions right?”

 

“Right,” Taec replied shortly.

 

“Okay, follow everything I’m about to tell you,” Aaron ordered. “First wash your hands thoroughly and put on the glove that should be in the same area as where the IV was.” Taec did as he was told. “Now, on the back of her left arm find a straight vein—usually it’s her mid-arm section where the elbow crease is at.” Taec continued to do as he was told to the end.

 

After thirty minutes of careful instructions from Aaron, Taec was able to insert the IV on Gui Gui’s arm. He checked her breathing afterwards and it seemed to have gone to normal. Her heartbeat was also back to normal.

 

“Why does she need the IV?” Taec asked Aaron, still on the phone.

 

“Sometimes, she forgets to breathe,” Aaron explained. “She uses going under water as a way to forget. Like when she gets stressed, she would go under water and she would start forgetting whatever it was she was stressing over and, in the process, forget to breathe again. The doctor gave her the IV every now and then, because going to the hospital all the time is tiring for everyone. So she gets the IV at home. If you noticed before you put the IV on, her heartbeat was crazy and her breathing was irregular. After the IV, everything should be back to normal.”

 

“I thought it was roller coasters,” Taec recalled when they went to Everland together.

 

“It used to be,” Aaron admitted. “But then she hated hearing herself screamed. So now she screams under water and it’s quite peaceful, she told me.”

 

“You must really be close to her then?” Taec asked curiously. “To know all that about her, you must really be close. I can tell you really care about her.”

 

“I care about her, yes. We are close.” Aaron admitted shamelessly. “That’s only because I’ve been there a lot and I went through everything with her. Even when I’m not there, she would tell me what happened and I would experience it.”

 

“I see,” Taec said.

 

“Yeah, look, it was nice talking to you and I really appreciate what you did for Gui Gui tonight, but I really need to get going,” Aaron said. “Stay with her till she wakes up and I’ll stop by when my schedule’s over. Can you do that, Taecyeon?”

 

“Yeah, I can do that,” Taec responded. “Take your time, I’ll be right here with her till you get here.”

 

“Alright, thanks, man.” And with that Aaron hung up.

 

Taec stayed by Gui Gui’s side the whole night without being bothered to change his wet clothes. Somewhere in the night, he got in bed behind Gui Gui and slept like a baby for the first time in a long time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, you guy! So I wrote this chapter two hours ago to distract myself from actually doing my school work~ XP

And I thought you awesome readers of mine deserve another chappie just for the sake of another chappie (does that make sense? I dunno, I'm kinda sleepy. It's 2:30 AM where I am)

Anywayz! I hope you guys enjoyed this one too. And don't forget to comment, subscribe, and vote ^^

Also, I am lonely, lonely, lonely . . . Be my chingeu/tomodachi/teman/amie/friend? Anyone? Aeung~ (failed attempt at Aegyo)