Chapter 9

Magnetic Attraction

Finding Kyuhyun sitting on the couch watching ice-hockey on television, Cherie tentatively sat down beside him. She needed to get things straight once and for all before he leaves for heaven-knows-where. Like what Hyukjae said when she decided to spill her guts to him the other day, facing her fears, or in this case, Kyuhyun, might not turn out to be as bad as she imagined. She can't avoid him forever.

Seeing her approaching, Kyuhyun snapped out of his daze and scooted over more to his side of the couch. He cleared his throat and pretended to watch the uneventful game.

"Hi."

Kyuhyun looked at Cherie who was waving her hands, slightly unsure of her awkward gesture. He looked back at the tv screen.

"Hey."

"We're acting like strangers," Cherie said. Normally at this time, he would be telling her random gags about penguins. This was so strange.

"Yeah." Kyuhyun continued to train his eyes on the tv.

"I miss you," Cherie said sadly. She wasn't used to this. Even after they broke up, they would still find ways to have a great time.

At this, Kyuhyun looked down at his lap.

"Sorry."

"Stop apologizing. It's not your fault."

"That was such a bad drama line." Kyuhyun faintly smiled. "I miss you too."

"Good. And I forgive you. I really don't think this is worth going into a deep and profound speech about love and who did what wrong and who to blame."

"I like that."

"Kyu, we need to be real about this. I really love you as a friend, but that's it."

"With benefits?"

"No benefits."

"Damn," Kyuhyun laughed. "It was worth a try. Well, these past couple of days, I just didn't want to overstep the boundary that I had already crossed, but I realized that it would be stupid of me to hold onto my love for you. I need to move on too. Life's too short to be stuck in the past."

"Precisely. Your feelings aren't hurt right?" Cherie asked.

"Just a little," Kyuhyun squeezed his eyes shut, making a very thin gap between his thumb and forefinger. He put his hands on his heart and pouted.

"Where does it hurt. Let me patch up the wound with a sewing needle," Cherie smiled, glad that they finally got over the massive ice-barrier. She wanted Kyuhyun to be there as a reliable and supportive friend whenever things went south. She trusted him with her life, but her heart belonged elsewhere.

"It's all cool, but you owe me," Kyuhyun demanded. "How are you going to make up for my emotional and psychological damage? I'm too poor to afford a shrink."

"Oh please. Just sell your house and you'll have an extra billion dollars in your pocket to burn," Cherie flicked her wrist dismissively. "However, I can treat you to a fabulous meal of your favorite fried pork chops and steaming fresh seafood by the riverside tonight. I know you're tempted."

"That does sound pretty yum."

"Perfect. The best way out of a man's heart is through his stomach."

"Cher, that's gross. Now I have a ghastly image. And you completely butchered that saying too."

"You know you're going to miss my crazy when you leave."

"Hyo told you?"

Cherie nodded. "Where to?"

"You're not going to believe this but I was personally asked by Gianni Alemanno to commission his summer house in Rome," Kyuhyun said excitedly. He loved talking to Cherie about his job since she was there for him when he first found out in high school that architecture was his thing.

His dream.

"Nuh uh. Get out! That's crazy Kyu!" Cherie exclaimed jealously.  "How does he even know you exist?!"

Kyuhyun pursed his lips sarcastically. "I'm in high demand right now okay? You know, since I graduated with top honors from the best design school in the world. Duh."

"Way to put it out there Mr. Arrogant. How long are you staying?" Cherie laughed.

Kyuhyun's expression slacked. "Honestly, I don't know. It could be a month, two months, maybe a year. It really depends. I do know that I won't be around before you guys leave to go back to Korea."

~*~*~*~

The Castello Fountain.

It's nothing compared to the Trevi fountain, but definitely a place of refuge after a pleasant dinner with Kyuhyun nonetheless.

She wanted to believe that the wish she made a couple of days ago would come true, but she was afraid she had lost her way and didn't really know what she wished for.

Feeling her phone vibrate, Cherie pulled it out to check who it was. It was Hyukjae, calling for the sixth time that day. She hit the end call button.

Standing near the railing of the fountain in all it's magnificent glory, Cherie's mind was in turmoil. The statues carved of granite seemed too stern and foreboding under the harsh lights that were illuminated by the water.

She had always loved taking photos, loved the way they captured time at a standstill. Her dream as a child was to be a vagabond, taking photos of anything and everything under the sun. Now that she was actually in Italy, the home of the greatest fashion magazine in the world, shouldn't she be taking advantage of this chance to fulfill her childhood dreams, setting that as her main focus instead of inciting revenge for her sister? Did she need to possibly jeopardize her future just to prove her parents wrong if things didn't go according to plan?

"Yeah, this is still my dream. I can still do it for Valerie, but it's time for me to stop putting the spotlight on her past and concentrate on my future. This is my dream that I want to take pride in, that I want to excel in, just as much as Kyuhyun is, as Hyorin is, as Hyukjae is..." Cherie asserted out loud.

"What about me?"

Cherie gave a startled jump as she turned around to see Hyukjae standing there.

"Wha- what are doing here?"

Hyukjae chuckled. "Who's the one stuttering now?"

"I... uh..."

"I remembered our conversation back in the gelato shop when you mentioned how you went to the Trevi to wish for your dreams to come true. Since no one else knows where you are and you keep on refusing to pick up my calls, my closest bet was that you'd be here since it's the best that Milan has."

He had remembered.

"So, have you sort of reached a conclusion?" he asked.

"Sort of."

"Let's hear it then. I'm all ears." Standing beside Cherie, he folded his arms on top of the railing and waited.

"Are you sure you want to listen to my woeful and depressing thoughts again?"

"If you keep it to yourself, you're carrying all the burden. Let me share some of it with you."

Never had she told a single soul about her inner chaos. Everyone had always seen her as the happy-go-lucky, outgoing and fun girl with no troubles or worries. Only Hyukjae hadn't. Even though she had only met him a week ago, she felt like he was the only one who understood her pain. Never had she felt so vulnerable to someone before, so willing to confide her deepest, darkest secrets to.

~*~*~*~

"... Valerie's name means bold and healthy, but she was ridiculed for her boldness and died because of an illness. Life is so ing unfair," Cherie muttered, feeling bitter tears fall down her face. She tried to hastily wipe them away, but it was too late. Feeling Hyukjae's pair of strong, warm arms engulfing her, adamant in its placing, she looked at him before firmly seizing him back in a tight embrace. Consoling her with small shhh’s and gentle, rhythmic on her back, Hyukjae's soothing voice reverberated in her ears.

"I'm so glad you're willing to weaken your defenses and let your constructed façade crumble. I'm also glad that I was the one who made that happen. You'll do amazing in anything you set your mind to. Know that, because the most beautiful people are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way of out of the depths. These people have an appreciation, a sensitivity of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. You are the most beautiful in my eyes because of that."

Gently wiping away her tears, he found this side of Cherie so endearing, so in need of his attention, his love.

“People say time will heal all wounds. But how much time will it take for this pain to go away?” she whispered, her red-rimmed eyes imploring into his own.

Hyukjae thought for moment.

"Honestly, I don’t know. But we can create the answer together."

Looking into Cherie's eyes, their hearts connected. No words were needed, no fanfare of trumpets was necessary, no explanation for what happened the night before at the club was pertinent at the moment. Under the twinkling stars of the velvet night sky with the lull of the tranquil water of the Castello Fountain running down in streams, all they did know was that this felt right.

Ever so slowly, Hyukjae leaned closer and softly touched Cherie's lips with his.

Feeling Hyukjae's lips on her's, Cherie knew that this was meant to be. They belonged together. Her heart pounded in her ears as she reached her hands behind his neck, deepening the kiss. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he pulled her in close to him and returned her kiss, urgent and passionate. Pulling out to catch a breath, Hyukjae rested his forehead against Cherie's.

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep, because reality is finally better than your dreams."

-----------------------------------------------------------

A/N: They're finally together<3