Chapter 7

Magnetic Attraction

As Cherie hung up the phone, it felt like she shed one thousand pounds. The relief she felt was indescribable. She honestly didn’t know what to expect when she decided to call Hyukjae, and even though Hyorin’s advice was always valuable, she desperately needed a fresh perspective on her situation. How could someone be so understanding, so helpful, so wise, and just so damn sweet. This, coming from a guy who could barely greet her before stumbling on his words and turning an embarrassing shade of red.

She felt like with each opportunity they got to know each other better, his reserved yet exotic shyness, his straightforward personality, his charming smile, and his sincere attitude, no matter where they were or who they were with, attracted her more and more. Normally guys would have the most meaningless and idiotic conversations with her just to get her to sleep with them.

But not Hyukjae. He was more mature and refined than that.

'Deep breaths. Hee. Hoo. Hee. I need to stop thinking about him that way.'

~*~*~*~

The next couple of days were pure nightmare.

When Kyuhyun came back from work, Cherie would greet him briefly before retreating to another room. When they ate a meal together, the two of them would look down at their plates and avoid exchanging glances.

After several days of seeing Cherie and Kyuhyun avoiding each other like the plague, Hyorin couldn’t take it any longer.

“Cher, I think we need to go out to let off some steam. I can’t believe my two bestest friends are ignoring each other! What happened to your talk with Hyukjae? Didn’t he tell you to talk to Kyu about it?” Hyorin half-whined as she applied her nighttime moisturizing cream over her freshly washed face, looking at Cherie’s reflection in the bathroom mirror.

“It takes time,” Cherie sighed.

“Let's just hope it doesn't take until you're old and wrinkly for you to figure it out. But anyway, tomorrow night. You, me, the boys,” Hyorin said as she stepped out into their bedroom.

“Tomorrow? Where? Who?” Cherie called after her.

“Nightclub. Us, the hot pilots, and their narcissistic friend."

Cherie raised her eyebrows. “Is this by chance another part of your 'Operation Try-to-make-Cherie-and-Hyukjae-fall-in-love’ game that you three have been playing lately?”

Hyorin sheepishly used her hair to cover her face. “Are you mad?”

“I dunno, what do you think?” Cherie propped her hands on her waist in an interrogating manner.

“… I got the mooooooooooooves like Jagger…”

“Let me ponder over that while you pick up Hyukjae’s call,” Hyorin winked as she picked Cherie’s cellphone up from the nightstand and handed it to her.

Rolling her eyes, Cherie shook her head and hit the send button.

“Yo yo, wazzup.”

“Nuttin, just chillin wit da homies in ma criiib,” Hyukjae replied in his deep voice.

“Uh huh,” Cherie nodded lazily.

“Word.”

“So what is it you called me for dawg?”

 “I just wanted to make sure that you’re in bed safely.”

‘Awww…’

“Yes sir, just like last time.”

“Awesome. So…”

Cherie waited.

And waited.

And waited.

“Sooo...? Anything else?”

“Well… I wanted to know if you’re… uhh, going clubbing with us tomorrow?” he whispered just audibly.

“Of course. But why are we whispering?” Cherie whispered back.

“What? No, I just had something itchy in my throat,” Hyukjae feigned a cough and cleared his throat. “All better.”

“Sure,” Cherie laughed. She could hear Hyukjae chuckling on the other end.

“Cool, I’ll see you then.”

“Mmhmm. Rest well Hyuk,” Cherie said.

“Oh… uh, ye – yeah, g- goodnight,” he replied, and then hung up.

“Oooolalalaaaaa, we have some progress here ladies and gentleman. It seems like Miss 'I-dont-want-to-be-in-a-relationship' has now moved onto calling her prospective lover by a nickname,” Hyorin giggled as she creeped up behind Cherie, hugging a pillow close to her chest. “Oh Hyukkie, I can’t wait to see you in my dreams…” she sighed, looking dreamily at the pillow.

"Shut up!" Cherie squealed.

~*~*~*~

HONK HONK.

“Kyu, we're going out now. Have fun playing by yourself," Hyorin said as she and Cherie walked past him playing Starcraft on his desktop.

He had denied their invitation to go with them since he was tired from work.

"Oh you know I will," he replied, keeping his eyes trained on the game. "Stay safe, and try not to get ."

"Hmm, I don't know," Hyorin laughed as she opened the front door. "Bye!"

"See ya later alligators. OOF! BAM! WOOSH! OH YEAH TAKE THAT!" Kyuhyun hollered, doing a little jiggle in his seat, his eyes glued to the screen.

As the girls greeted Hyukjae, Donghae, and Leeteuk, who were standing outside Hyukjae's white Mercedes convertible for some fresh air, Hyukjae couldn't help but gawk at Cherie.

Gone was the elegant, sophisticated ambassador's daughter on the plane.

Gone was the chill girl he had talked to for hours that day after the photoshoot.

‘She’s looks hot as fu----dge,’ Hyukjae thought as he caught himself, his eyes wandering all over her gorgeous body.

Her halter dress, in his favorite leopard print, hugged her curves perfectly, accentuating her long, slender legs and voluptuous S-line. As she moved in for a hug, her soft and silky hair brushed his bare shoulders and he caught a scent of her Chanel perfume.

Gulping, he hugged her gingerly, his breathe hitched in his throat.

"Loosen up Hyuk, I'm not going to eat you," Cherie smiled as she pulled out of the hug.

"You look beautiful," Hyukjae said softly.

"Aww, thank you. And you look pretty dashing yourself," Cherie replied, gesturing towards his cut-off pink plaid shirt with a cute bowtie. "Only real men wear pink."

Hyukjae shyly smiled.

Donghae on the other hand was unashamedly admiring Hyorin in her tight leather pants and rhinestone-studded strapless tube top.

Simple, yet lethal.

"Argh, I think there's something wrong with my eyes," Donghae blinked them a couple of times as he looked at Hyorin up and down.

"Is it dry? I think I have some eyedrops in my purse," Hyorin asked.

"No. It's because I can't seem to keep my eyes off of you."

"Oh my gosh. Please, save those pick up lines for someone who might actually believe you," Hyorin raised her eyebrows. "Go get your grease-factor checked up at the doctor's office or something."

"Only if you'll be my nurse," Donghae winked cheesily.

~*~*~*~

"You gorgeous ladies have fun tonight ok?" the bouncer said as he finished checking the girls' ID's.

Stopping Cherie, he placed a hand on her arm.

"Ya know, I don't usually say this but you are one mighty fine woman. "

The bouncer took off his sunglasses and eyed Cherie ersely.

Getting very protective of Cherie, Hyukjae was just about to land a blow on the guy's face and start a fight when Cherie grabbed his hand and pulled him to her side. Wrapping her arms around his waist, she smiled coyly up at the bouncer.

"I'm already taken. Sorry. Let's go baby," she said, leading Hyukjae into the club with their hands interlocked.

Looking a little flabbergasted, the bouncer grunted as Donghae, Leeteuk, and Hyorin walked past.

"Real smooth bro," Donghae smirked disparagingly.

Inside, swarms of people packed the floor, dancing to the fast-paced techno music that was pulsing high-volume throughout the club as strobe lights flashed in streams of multi-colored lasers. The group made their way towards the bar, which housed every single kind of alcohol there was. Scotch, whiskey, tequila, vodka... everything.

"Can I have a glass of water please?" Hyukjae shouted to the bartender above the din.

“Water? Dude, this is a club!” the bartender looked at Hyukjae in disbelief.

"I don't drink and I'm the designated driver," Hyukjae replied back.

"If you say so big boy."

Cherie looked at Hyukjae appreciatively. "You don't drink?"

"Nope. I do like to indulge myself with the occasional glass of champagne during fancy parties, but no heavy drinking whatsoever," Hyukjae replied.

"Me too!" Cherie laughed.

"I just never thought there was a need to get drunk, eventually puke all over myself, and wake up the next morning with no clue as to what I did the night before. I like to keep my consciousness and be in control of what I'm doing."

"I think it has something to do with you being the world's best pilot. You know, having all those lives in your control," Cherie cooed admiringly, watching Hyukjae take a swig at his cool water.

Those muscular arms, that chiseled jawline, and that adam's apple bobbing up and down as he drank the water...

'Ugh stop looking at him like that,' Cherie thought annoyingly to herself as she shook her head.

"Come on you guys, it's time to get groovy!" Leeteuk shouted, dragging the group out onto the dancefloor.

The DJ switched up the music and as Usher's classic song 'Yeah' started up, the crowd cheered loudly.

Hyukjae started warming up. Other than flying, this was what he did best.

Dance.

He didn't agree to come here for no reason. He wanted to show everyone what real dancing was. He especially wanted to show Cherie what he could do. Starting out clean cut, he progressed into more intricate moves that required a lot of energy and strength. His whole body flowed like freefalling water and was in perfect sync with the beat. His facial expression shouted 'smug' and 'confident'. Soon enough, a crowd had formed around Hyukjae, cheering and clapping along with the pulsing music. He was obviously the crowd favorite. Even some of the guys were whistling. As the song ended, sweat glistened on his face and arms, adding that much more allure to his charm. Panting hard, he smiled at Cherie as she gave him a thumbs up. When he came closer to her, her body ached to dance along to his, to be near him.

The Pussycat Dolls then started purring to their song 'Buttons.'

"I'm telling you loosen up my buttons baby
But you keep fronting
Saying what you going do to me
But I ain't seen nothing."

She remained her eye contact with Hyukjae as she threw her hands up above her head and sultrily swayed her hips to the music. Now was the time to forget about Kyuhyun, forget about her drama, forget about everything except her moment together with Hyukjae in this glamorous nightclub on this y Friday night. Hyukjae danced sensuously along behind her, keeping his eyes trained on her as she closed her eyes and leaned back into him, savoring the risque feeling of their unfamiliar intimacy.

-----------------------------------------------------------