Chapter 24

Magnetic Attraction

DING.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain Lee Hyukjae speaking. Welcome to Shanxi."

Donghae let out a low whistle as he watched Hyukjae composedly ease the plane into the designated terminal and park at the gate.

"Lee Hyukjae, I worship you," he said reverently, making bowing motions with his hands.

Hyukjae groaned as he fumbled with his seatbelt and stood up to stretch out his sore back.

"You're my hero!" Cherie screamed as she shakily got out of her seat and wrapped Hyukjae in a tight hug, who stumbled back a little from the force of her momentum.

"I was so scared."

"You got through it. You did it. You saved us all," she soothed him, her chin resting on his shoulder.

"I have a request," he uttered, the ghost of his breath gracing her cheek.

"What is it?"

"Hold me. And never let go," he said, his voice quavering ever so slightly as his grip tightened on her waist.

Cherie held him even more firmly against her, afraid that he would dematerialize any second from her sight.

She was this close to losing him.

To losing everything.

"I wouldn't let go of you for the world," Cherie whispered tenderly as she pulled out from the hug to look him in the eyes. Those eyes that were normally filled with childish mischief and loving affection were now full of fear and desperation for something to hold on to. Cherie had never seen him look like this before, and it scared her. It made her realize that she wasn't the only one in need of protection and assurance. He was just as fragile and vulnerable to factors outside of his control, which made her even more determined to show him she was also there for him whenever he needed her.

Hyukjae nodded. He was glad Cherie was in there with him during the descent; glad that he could feed off of her silent support and faith in him. Now, he just wanted her to stay with him so he could keep his mind off of their near-death landing experience.

That was all he asked for.

~*~*~*~

Traipsing through the aisles of the normal seating sections, which lead to the VIP cabins in the back, Cherie wondered how Hyukjae could be so heroic, yet display such a meek, endearing side of himself to her that just begged for her attention. It wasn't the first time that he had saved her life, and the more she thought about it, the wider the dopey grin got on her face. Her footsteps were so light that she felt as if she was on cloud nine, despite the circumstances, until she heard a loud bang that brought her back down to earth.

"I can't believe this. I cannot even begin to wrap my brain around this train wreck. What the hell were the executives thinking in making this incompetent idiot the head captain? What is he, two years old?" a really pissed off CEO with thinning hair and crooked teeth spat to a flight attendant as he slammed the lid of overhead luggage compartment after getting something out from his carry-on. "I could have had a from all that uncontrolled turbulence! And don't even get me started on how rampant and undisciplined his landing skills are. If we have to land like that again in Seoul, I think I may be the one having the heart attack. I could have died! I'm going to take this to the authorities and have him booted the moment we arrive on Korean soil. I need to get outta this stinking joint ASAP! And why are we in some God-forsaken city in China that I've never heard of?"

"Sir, please calm down," the flight attendant said, annoyed at the angry, blabbering man.

Cherie puffed out her cheeks, severely pissed off.

He did not just go there.

Clearing as she passed by them, she placed her hand on the stewardess' arm.

"Let me handle this."

"Ma'am, it's fine."

Squaring her shoulders, she looked the CEO directly in the eyes.

"Shouldn't you be rejoicing in the fact that the captain landed just in time for the poor man, who had a heart attack 10, 000 feet above the ground, to be transported to a hospital to receive treatment? Shouldn't you be thankful that you are aboard one of the most prestigious airline carriers in the world with one of the best captains in the aviation industry manning this airbus? Yes, you are correct. He is the youngest head captain in this business. Why do you think that is? Would the top multi-trillion dollar corporation really place so much power in his hands if he weren't capable of handling it? I was in there with him when he made the decision to breach protocol and possibly endanger everyone's lives, as well as his future career, just to save one man. If it were someone else, oh who knows, maybe we would still be flying in the eye of the hurricane, watching the man slowly die in this very cabin. My burning question for you, sir, is why in the world I'm standing here lecturing you on how immature and selfishly moronic you look and sound. Please, save your pathetic whining for someone who actually cares."

And with a turn of her heel, she gave him one last look of disdain before leaving.

The flight attendent smirked, not even bothering to keep up appearances.

"You asked for that buddy."

~*~*~*~

Half A Year Later

Christmas Season

Stepping into the threshold of the university's grand hall entrance, a pleasant wave of warmth enveloped him as the heavy glass door slowly swung closed behind him. Shaking off the crystal flakes of snow from his hair and coat, he stuffed his chilled hands back into his pockets and walked into the main foyer. Even though his father had been an acclaimed legacy at the school back in the day, he hadn't really been inside the campus very much at all.

'Where should I go?'

Seeing a group of guys walk past with styrofoam lunch cartons in their hands, he figured he would start with the cafeteria and go from there.

After many hallways, doorways, and confusing stairways, he finally stumbled into the dining hall, and was it a sight to behold. In the middle of the room stood a gigantic Christmas tree that nearly reached the apex of the ceiling, it's tip crowned with a big star ornament. The bristles of the evergreen tree were laden with colorful lights as they sparkled and gleamed, bringing out the vibrancy of the shimmery tinsel garlands strung around and around the tree in dazzling spirals. Cheerful holiday decor like velvet red bows, peppermint candy canes, and reflective silver and gold orbs peppered the tree, and he caught a whiff of the distinct scent of fresh pine in the air as it mingled with the tantalizing aromas of freshly baked lasagna and smoked salmon.

Everyone was in a festive mood, chattering and laughing as they enjoyed their last few moments together before they left campus to visit their parents and family over the Christmas holidays. Silverware clinked against ceramic plates as the roar of the fire burning bright in the large furnace added a homey ambience to the hallowed hall.

He squinted as he scanned around the room, hoping to catch a glimpse of her.

'There.'

His breath hitched in his throat.

His heart started pounding in his ears.

He found her.

Just looking at her, even from afar, still brought shivers of pleasurable excitement to his body.

Sittting beside the windows at a table surrounded by a large group of friends, she dabbed her plump lips with a napkin as she finished up her meal. Her sideswept honey-hazelnut locks hung down her left shoulder over her simple white crew-neck knit, and as she stood up, her long legs, hugged by a fitted pair of black yoga pants, maneuvered their way to the lunch table for a generous helping of banana cake.

He chuckled.

Whenever he wanted her to do something for him, he would always bribe her with banana cake and get his way. It was her ultimate weakness as he had eventually found out, much to her chagrin, but it was only fair since she already knew what his weakness was.

Not that he was complaining.

Her fork accidentally dropped onto the floor, and he could've sworn he saw a couple of the guys check her out when she bent over to pick it up. But instead of feeling criminally posessive of her, he longingly stared right along with them.

It had been two months.

Two months since the start of the International Aviation Convention he was forced to attend in New York City. It wasn't that he didn't want to; actually, he was ecstatic at first when he found out he was chosen to accompany Mr. CEO to the convention as a member of the Board of Directors (he was promoted onto the board after the Shanxi incident), but how could he survive two months without his wife beside him, especially since they had just gotten married and were still considered to be in the "honeymoon" phase of their relationship? She was extremely supportive of him attending, since it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but a little part of him still wanted to stay. That, or to take her with him. Living in a 5-Star luxury resort primarily populated with men, he nearly went ballistic not being able to cuddle her in his arms at night, to her soft cheeks with his fingers, to kiss her and love her as her husband. The serious lack of estrogen had increased his testosterone level to a fightening degree whenever he thought of her that all he could do at night was work out in the gym to burn off his pent up, ual energy he couldn't release elsewhere.

A heavy pang of guilt hit him square in the chest as he moved closer to her table. He couldn't bear the agonizing pain he put the both of them through, but especially on himself, what with his recent nightmares of her meeting other more successful and glamorous men who would sweep her off her feet and convince her to elope with them to some far away, exotic locale without so much as a wave goodbye. Even if they had Skype dates every night and talked on the phone whenever she didn't have class, a guy still had his insecurities and doubts.

But now, he was back, ready to claim back what was rightfully his.

Her caramel-colored Ugg boots slided against the wooden floors as she started walking back towards the table. A tall, handsome guy at the table pulled out her seat for her as she sat down, their backs facing him. He whispered something in her ear, to which she pouted and slapped him on the arm, a glint of amusement evident in her eyes.

His stomach sunk down to his toes.

'What did he just whisper to her?'

A girl across the table saw him and squealed.

"OH MY GAWD! Aren't you Lee Hyukjae? Cherie's hubby?!"

Cherie whipped her head around to look behind her, locking eyes with him.

"Hey baby. I missed you."

Cherie screamed, ignoring the bemused expressions on everyone else's faces. She quickly got up and knocked over her chair in the process, but she ignored it as she jumped on him, koala-bear style, with all four limbs wrapped around his body.

"You're back. You're finally back," Cherie remarked unbelievably, her breath sweet on his face as she stared at him in wonder. "Tell me this isn't a dream."

"Of course I'm back," Hyukjae laughed, tapping her nose with his finger.

Cherie bit her lips. His voice had gotten so much deeper and ier.

Her belly tingled crazily.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Hyukjae said softly, his head cocked to the side as Cherie remained silent.

"I-I thought you wouldn't be back for another week?"

"I lied. I wanted to surprise you. Besides, what would Christmas be if I couldn't spend it with my beautiful wife?"

Everyone at the table awwed.

Cherie blushed.

"You are one fiiiinnnneeeeee male specimen, if I've ever seen one myself," the handsome guy, who had previously pulled out Cherie's chair for her, said to Hyukjae seductively, his cheek resting on his palm.

"Excuse me?"

"You're hot. Sizzzzzling," he said as he his finger and made a hissing noise as he put his finger on his . "If you weren't taken already, I would have you in my bathtub right now with bubbles and rubber duckies and I'd-" the man clapped twice "-smack your little bottom."

Hyukjae looked at Cherie, horrified.

"Don't mind him. He's too gay for his own good," Cherie rolled her eyes.

"Hun, it's not my fault your husband is making me soak my ," the man scoffed.

Hyukjae's mouth dropped open.

"He doesn't really have a filter for his mouth either. Mimi, just shut up and let me enjoy my reunion with my sizzling hubby kay?"

"Sugarmunchkin, if you ever get sick of Cherie," Zhou Mi gestured to the mountain of unopened gifts, heartshaped cards, chocolates, and scraps of cellphone numbers tossed aside, which were meant for Cherie from dozens of guys around the campus, "she has many other suitors who would be willing to take her. Just say the word and I'll be yours," he purred as he puckered up his lips.

"Don't you have some other poor unsuspecting soul to prey on?" Cherie laughed as she got off of Hyukjae from her tight koala-grip.

"For now, no. Lee Hyukjae has officially made it to the top of my list."

"He scares me," Hyukjae whispered into Cherie's ear.

Cherie giggled.

"Don't worry. He's harmless. He talks the talk but has some serious problems walking the walk," Cherie said loudly, eyeing Zhou Mi's long, giraffe-esque legs. "Those legs are kind of useless."

"I can always start!" Zhou Mi protested.

"Good, but find somewhere else to park your car. This spot's taken," Cherie winked, before turning her attention back to Hyukjae.

"That was a very snappy comeback. I like it, Miss Popular," Hyukjae teased as he  the sensitive flesh on her waist.

Cherie sighed.

"I've honestly been wearing no makeup, been dressing like a slob, and have been trying to flash everyone with my gorgeous wedding ring, but no one seems to be taking the hint," Cherie pouted.

Hyukjae did notice that she was looking more natural, but that only made him that much more attracted to her. This was what he woke up to every morning.

"It doesn't matter. What matters is that I love you. I fell in love with all of you; your popularity, your flirtatious nature, your goddess-like looks, but most importantly, your heart, and I don't think I could ever stop falling for you. I don't care about the other guys. They can fawn over you all they want. You're mine, so let them be jealous," Hyukjae smiled as he looked down at her lips before giving her a feathery-light kiss so tender it was if he hardly touched her lips at all.

"I love you too," she whispered against his soft lips, afraid that if she spoke aloud her voice would waver with emotion.

Hyukjae cupped her face in his hands before leaning in to give her a deeper, more intense kiss, his teeth brushing against her bottom lips ever-so-slightly before he bit her juicy pink mouth that tasted of banana cake.

He wouldn't be able to forget the feeling of her lips on his even if he tried.

People around them started making smooching and exaggerated kissing noises, but the couple didn't stop.

Cherie started running her fingers through his hair down to his jawline before finally resting on his chest. Her eyes fluttered open in amazement as her hands lingered on his muscles, which were prominently more solid and hard through his v-neck, cream-colored cashmere sweater underneath his chic, black peacoat.

"What?"

"I can't wait to rip these clothes off of you when we get back home," Cherie batted her eyelashes coyly at him, slightly squeezing his pecs.

Hyukjae used his coat to envelop Cherie in a cocoon. She breathed in his calming scent that was so unique to him, and reveled in the soothing, rumbling reverberations of his voice as he laughed.

~

Outside, soft white feathers of snowflakes drifted peacefully onto the ground, blanketing the calm, serene earth like a fragile piece of pure and untainted Merino wool.

Pure and untainted.

Just like their love.

Their love, their attraction, was magnetic.

They were polar opposites, and the zing, the zap, the sizzle; the euphoric sense of an electrical current coursing through their veins, their minds, and their hearts whenever they touched was undeniable; the spark that ignited passionate flames of divine, luscious romance whenever they kissed was irrefutable.

Their attraction was strong, and powerful.

Intoxicating.

Exquisite.

Their love, was everlasting.

-----------------------------------------------------------