Chapter 12

Magnetic Attraction

'Clothes, check. Resume, check. Where's my portfolio??' Cherie thought harriedly as she scurried around the room trying to find it.

After coming home from to the beach with the guys, Cherie realized that the photographer internship interview for Vogue that she had previously scheduled for was happening the very next day. She had completely forgotten about it, which was why she was still doing some last-minute scrambling to get everything ready.

She finally found the black binder underneath a pile of magazines and flipped through it to make sure nothing was missing. It was already updated with her latest photoshoot for the Dolce and Gabbana campaign with Hyukjae and Leeteuk, and Cherie couldn't help but oogle at her boyfriend's picture a little longer than the rest. He was just too yummy to not look at even though she had just spent the whole day with him.

"Cher, your interview's at two, so I suggest getting some rest before you spontaneously combust out of exhaustion," Hyorin yawned tiredly as she flipped over on her bed to face Cherie.

"But I feel like something's missing or I haven't prepared enough or-"

"Yeah, which is why you need sleep because you're obviously delusional. Everything's perfect, so lay your down on that bed or I may have to result to coercion," Hyorin pointed towards Cherie's bed.

"Fine. If something goes wrong tomorrow, it's your fault."

"It would also be my fault if I sent you to the greatest people of the fashion industry looking like Frankenstein."

"... true. I'm going to bed. Goodnight."

"Good morning sunshine."

"Smarty pants," Cherie laughed as she dove into the warmth of her bed.

~*~*~*~

 

From: Hyukjae

To: Cherie

Message: Hello gorgeous ;P 

 

Sitting by herself in the minimalist waiting room, Cherie felt her phone vibrate in her bag and realized that she had forgot to turn it off. Fumbling inside with her clammy hands, she quickly glanced at the message. Breathing a sigh of relief, she felt like she needed a little last-minute pick-me-up from Hyukjae.

 

From: Cherie

To: Hyukjae

Message: 5 minutes. SO NERVOUS.

 

From: Hyukjae

To: Cherie

Message: Breathe, think about puppies and rainbows.
Be yourself, and charm the interviewer with
your natural eloquence and confidence.
I believe in you

 

From: Cherie

To: Hyukjae

Message: You're like my personally pescribed stress relieving medicine ;))
I'll call you when I'm done<3

 

"Miss Cherie Liu?" The receptionist called as she came out of the interview room.

"Yes?" Cherie turned off her phone and stood up.

"She's ready to see you now."

~*~*~*~

"Sit."

Cherie reached out her trembling fingers and gripped onto one of the black leather chairs with so much force that her knuckles turned white. She pulled the chair out and gingerly say on the very edge of it.

Holding a Parker fountain pen in her right hand and a pair of glasses in the other, the interviewer's watchful eyes never left Cherie. Sitting at the desk, she had an air of refinement about her that was both intimidating and admirable. Her white hair was immaculately coiffed and her fitted dress was regal and classy. Although she looked to be well into her 40's, her features were sharp and her eyes attentive and observant.

"May I have your portfolio?"

"Oh yes, please," Cherie said as she handed the binder over, trying desperately to keep her shaking hands still.

Wordlessly skimming through, the interviewer's expression was indecipherable and just as stoic as before. If not, even more so.

"Let's skip formalities and just cut to the chase," she started out, closing the binder.

"Okay," Cherie said as she clenched her jaw tightly. She didn't have a good feeling about this.

"Why do you want this intern position?"

Simple enough as the question was, Cherie knew that her answer was the deciding factor as to whether or not she would land this.

"To be quite honest madam, I've been wanting this for all the wrong reasons. A couple of days ago, I've even asked myself if I should even come here today." Knowing that this may jeopardize her future at Vogue, Cherie decided that coming out with the truth was better than sugarcoating and even lying. She deserved that much for herself.

Leaning forward, the interviewer cocked her eyebrows. Cherie had gotten ahold of her attention.

"Go on."

"All my life I've deceived myself into thinking that getting into Vogue was the best way to prove to the people whom I deeply care about that unconventional jobs like being a photographer was worth my time. They said and did some hurtful things before I decided to pursue this career, so I realized that getting this job would make them shut their mouths and just accept reality."

"And now?" The interviewer pursed her lips, her eyebrows still raised.

"Now, I have a different outlook. A more positive one. I met someone else who trusted me in that whatever I wanted to do was up to me, just as long as I have the passion and willingness to work for it. He guided me into remembering that photography has always been my hobby and my love ever since young, and murking my senses with a motive that doesn't define my true feelings was dangerous and potentionally fatal for my future career, whatever it may be. I would just end up more hurt and ashamed that all I ever believed and strived for was a false pretense."

Placing her glasses neatly on the desk while folding her arms, the interviewer leaned back into her chair.

"So a Good Samaritan led you in the right direction? That's very noble of that person."

Cherie smiled amiably.

"Seems like he's very special to you," the corners of the interviewer's lips slightly turned up, and for a split second, Cherie thought she saw a flicker of pureness in her expression as a woman who also experienced similar sentiments.

Sentiments of love.

"I'll get in touch with you soon, thank you for your time Miss Liu."

~*~*~*~

"Tell the cabbie to drop you off at the park near Kyu's villa. The boys are playing basketball here!" Hyorin yelled into the other end of the phone.

Cherie cringed as she held her phone away from her ear. "Why are you yelling? And why is there so much screaming?!"

"You'll see!"

Cherie hung up confused and told the taxi driver the change of route.

Upon arriving at the park, Cherie stepped into the basketball court, only to see the bleachers full of screaming girls.

"I never knew that I had so many Italian fans!" Hyorin exclaimed as she ran to Cherie. "Of course, after seeing me with the guys, they've become even crazier," she added, gesturing towards the sweaty, half- men who were concentrating hard on their game.

Hyorin snapped her fingers in Cherie's face, which was focused more on the guys than on her.

"Attention back to me please, you can drool later when you're with Hyuk. So how was the interview?"

"I'll tell you later when it's more-" Cherie looked around, "-peaceful."

"Fair enough. If you'll excuse me, I have some rabid guests to attend to," Hyorin winked.

"Go on back there. Your loyal subjects await," Cherie laughed, shooing her friend away.

Grabbing a bottle of water and a clean towel from the sidelines, she cheered loudly as Hyukjae scored a 3-pointer. Hyukjae realized that she was there and eagerly ran to her.

"Drink. Hydrate those burning muscles," Cherie said, handing over the water. She strung the towel around Hyukjae's neck and started wiping his neck and chest, which was dripping with sweat as he chugged the cool liquid.

Donghae eyed them jealously as he walked over to the sidelines to grab his own bottle of water.

"Thank you," Hyukjae smiled, feeling pampered as he wiped his mouth with his arm.

"I can't take this mushiness," Leeteuk said as he started furiously scrubbing his face with the towel. "Why does Sora have to be so far away?"

"There's this nifty invention called Skype. It's really quite genius. You're lucky you even have a girlfriend, I-" Donghae stopped cold as he recognized a familiar figure walking towards them.

"Donghae! Is that you! Fancy meeting you here in Italy! How long has it been, seven years since we last saw each other in high school?"

The figure approached the group and gave Donghae a good old slap on the back.

Grinning widely, the person introduced himself to the group.

"Hi guys! I'm Kibum, but everyone just calls me Kib. Me and Hae go waaaaay back don't we?" Kibum put his arm on Donghae's shoulders.

"We sure do," Donghae laughed grudgingly. "Kib was my high school senior. We basically did everything together."

"Thick as thieves we were," Kibum winked. "So how's the love life going? Got a special lady yet? Man you haven't changed at all!"

Donghae hesitated and bit his lips. He always had this unspoken rivalry with Kibum when it came to women. Whenever one landed a pretty girl, the other would find an even prettier one. Donghae was determined to win, even after nearly a decade. He had to protect his ego, even though he had been secretly envious of Kibum in almost every other aspect.

"Yeah. Actually, Hyorin, could you come over here for a sec?" Donghae shouted at the bleachers. Hyorin looked up from autographing an album and pointed at herself.

'ME?' she mouthed.

Donghae nodded.

She came over and Donghae slid his arms around her waist.

"Hey, what're you-"

"This is my beautiful wife, Kim Hyorin."

The group stared wide-eyed at Donghae.

"Wife eh? Pleasure to meet you Mrs. Lee," Kibum held out his hand courteously.

Hyorin inconspicuously pinched Donghae hard on the arm before holding her hand out to shake Kibum's. "The pleasure's all mine."

Donghae hoped to the heavens above that Hyorin wouldn't murder him in the forest with an axe later on.

"How long have you two been together?"

"Four years. We're still very much crazy in love with each other, right darling?" Donghae asked Hyorin through his teeth.

Hyorin shot him a death glare before smiling at Kibum. "Yes, I just can't get enough of him."

"Aww that's cute. Say what, how about you guys come and dine on my private yacht tomorrow night? I want to introduce my fiancee to you."

"Sounds great! We'll be there."

"Perfect. I have to get going now, but it was nice meeting you all! I hope we'll have more chances to hang out. You guys seem pretty cool," Kibum smiled before leaving.

Hyorin shook Donghae's arm off and jabbed him in the stomach. "Husband, you have five seconds to explain or I'll cut your balls off."

"What? How can five seconds be enou-"

"FIVE."

"That's not fair, I'll explain later-"

"FOUR."

"You can't be serious!"

"THREE."

"Alright fine! I wanted to make him jealous! He was always better than me at everything and I wanted him to realize that things have changed!"

"And you had to lie that we're married? What does that prove?"

"I know it's not making sense right now but could you please just go with me to this one dinner?"

Hyorin thought for a second and huffed out a defeated sigh. "You owe me. Big time."

"Yes thank you thank you thank you!" Donghae threw his arms around her and jumped up and down in delirious joy.

"Excuse me sir but you're invading my personal bubble," Hyorin grumbled, though she was secretly kind of glad she agreed.

-----------------------------------------------------------