Chapter 10

Magnetic Attraction

Walking with Cherie’s fingers linked in his, Hyukjae was lost in his own giddy thoughts as he took a shortcut through the park beside the fountain to where his car was parked. But when he saw a little girl of about four years old by herself on a park bench, bawling her eyes out, he let Cherie go and rushed over.

Cherie followed closely behind.

“Now now. You’re safe. You have me and big sister here. Don't cry,” Hyukjae held the fragile young girl's hands as he bent down, giving her his most gentlest of smiles. She hiccupped and looked at him, her blotchy pink cheeks cold and ruddy. Sniffing loudly, her lips quivered as she whimpered. Her pigtails were messily undone and her fists that were originally balled up tightly at her stomach scrunched up areas of her baby blue dress.

"Mumma."

Hyukjae looked at Cherie, who also bent down to wipe away the girl’s tears. “Don’t worry sweetie, your momma will be back very soon.”

The girl nodded, her eyes wide and innocently trusting.

Cherie then looked at Hyukjae. How on earth were they supposed to find her mom?

“BELLA!”

They turned around and saw a woman charging at him, yelling out the girl’s name. Hyukjae let go of Bella's hands as the woman reached them, furiously hugging the little girl with so much force it was as if she hadn't seen her in centuries.

“Thank you so so much,” the mother repeated gratefully to both Hyukjae and Cherie as she stood up.

"No ma'am, we were just doing what we needed to. Bella, you take care of your mumma and don't ever make her worry again okay?" Hyukjae said as he Bella's hair affectionately.

The little girl blinked a couple of times, her head tipped to the side.

As they said their last goodbyes, Bella tugged on Hyukjae’s pants.

Bending down, Hyukjae was surprised as Bella gave a small peck on his lips.

“Tank you,” she said bashfully before hiding behind her mother's skirt.

“You’re welcome," Hyukjae laughed, his insides melting into goo from the adorable gesture.

~*~*~*~

“I can’t believe I’m jealous of a four year old,” Cherie pouted as Hyukjae pulled up into Kyuhyun’s driveway.

“Because she kissed me?” Hyukjae chuckled, killing the engine.

“What else?” Cherie said as she stepped out of the car.

Hyukjae got out too and made his way to her side of the car.

“Well aren’t you a selfish little one?” he joked.

“She got your second kiss!” Cherie protested. “We may have only been dating for two hours, but all your kisses should be reserved for me now!”

“Your wish is my command. You now have my third kiss,” Hyukjae looked down into her eyes teasingly as he kissed her.

“And my fourth,” he kissed her again sweetly.

Cherie’s stomach reversed and twisted and dropped as if she were on a rollercoaster. Hyukjae’s kisses were deadly poisonous, yet addictive like drugs. Where did he learn to kiss like that?

“Mmfphhh… you’re starting to sound like-” Cherie started out as Hyukjae attacked her with his fifth kiss, “-Donghae right now.” she finished, a little out of breath.

“So now you’re thinking of other men while I’m here trying to make you happy?” Hyukjae faked a scoff as he pulled away.

“I’m just saying that you’re getting really corny!” Cherie giggled as she linked her arms with his. Walking up to the front door slowly, the two were reluctant to go their separate ways. “But I like the corny Hyukjae once in a while,” Cherie said as they stood on the doorstep of the villa. “I also liked you when you were with Bella. Normally guys would cower behind women when it involves crying children, but you handled it like a real gentleman.”

“I really like children. They’re so pure and always have smiles on their faces without a single burden or grudge in the world.”

“I’m sure you’ll be a great father when you have kids of your own,” Cherie smiled.

“Are you insinuating something?” Hyukjae wriggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Cherie squealed and swatted him in the chest. “No you old dog. As much as I’d love to have your babies, I still need to enjoy my youth while it lasts.”

Hyukjae laughed and nodded. “Fair enough. But my offer still stands. You know, our babies would be outrageously beautiful.”

“Shuuushhhhh!”

“Well, do I at least get a goodnight kiss?” Hyukjae held Cherie’s hands and gazed lovingly at her.

“No.”

“No?”

“You stole too many from me already.”

“But you liked it."

"Yeah, maybe I did."

Hyukjae chuckled.

"You know, the first moment I met you, I couldn’t keep my eyes off you. The second time I saw you, I wanted to protect you from all your worries. The third time I saw you …” Hyukjae gently caressed Cherie’s cheeks, “… I wanted you to be mine and my woman only. How could I let this chance slip away just like that?” Hyukjae whispered, lifting Cherie’s chin up so they maintained eye contact.

And with that, Hyukjae once again took Cherie’s breath away by softly kissing her on the forehead.

“Goodnight princess.”

~*~*~*~

“I'm hyperventilating. I'm hyperventilating. I think I'm in love!!!”

Cherie sing-songed as she traipsed into her and Hyorin’s shared bedroom and pounced onto her bed.

“FINALLY GIRL!!!! What did I tell you? You guys are destined to be together!" Hyorin screamed and she went over to bear hug Cherie. "I need all the details! Did you guys kiss? How did he ask you? Oh my gawd this is amazing!"

“GGGAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH HE JUST TEXTED ME.”

From: Hyukjae

To: Cherie

Message: Hey baby, I miss you already ♥

 

Cherie hugged her phone, nearly passing out with happiness.

Curious, Hyorin pried Cherie’s phone away from her death grip.

“Wow, and you guys just saw each other literally five seconds ago. People in love are truly crazy.”

“Yeah…” Cherie replied dreamily.

Hyorin laughed. “I’m glad you agree with me that you are now officially stupid.”

“Uh huh,” Cherie smiled giddily, much to the amusement of Hyorin

“Forget I even said that. You’re no fun.”

Hyorin felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.

 

From: Donghae

To: Hyorin

Message: So I kinda wanna see you in a bikini.
Are you and Hyukjae’s wifey down for the beach tomorrow?

 

From: Hyorin

To: Donghae

Message: So I kinda wanna see your abs.
That is, if you have any at all ;P

 

~*~*~*~

Parking his Mercedes in his garage, Hyukjae sat in utter disbelief as his dazed eyes stared at no particular spot.

Did Cherie really agree to date him?

Yes she did.

Did he really kiss her?

He sure did.

Pinching his arm hard, he in a lungful of air through his teeth as the sting of the pain confirmed that this wasn’t a dream.

Grinning like an idiot, he took out his phone and scrolled down his contacts list. Typing in a text to Cherie, his stomach tingled as he typed the word ‘baby’. This was his first time using that nickname for a girl.

His girl.

Pushing the send button, it finally dawned on him that he was no longer single. Failing to hide his triumphant smile, he stepped into his house, only to see both Donghae and Leeteuk sprawled on the couch snoring like hibernating bears.

‘I better run before they wake up,' Hyukjae thought as he tried to sneak past them upstairs to his room.

“NOT SO FAST LEE HYUKJAE!”

Hyukjae cringed as Leeteuk’s piercing voice rang throughout the house. He ran into his room and tried to shut the door but the other two were too fast and too strong for him. Laughing as they squeezed into his room, Leeteuk and Donghae forced Hyukjae onto his recliner and pinned him against it.

“Based upon the guilty look on your face, I have the audacity to infer that you did something rebellious tonight,” Donghae observed as he squinted his eyes. Standing directly in front of Hyukjae and trapping him in, he needed to get to the end of this. Hyukjae ran out to find Cherie in the afternoon and finally returned now, which was close to midnight. There was definitely something fishy going on.

Hyukjae shook his head vigorously.

Leeteuk sat Indian-style on Hyukjae’s bed and made a clucking nose. “There’s no use lying to us. No one can escape our cross-examination. You have no right to a lawyer and you do not have the right to remain silent. Now start confessing or we’ll result to more violent techniques.”

Smirking, Donghae crossed his arms and waited.

“I kissed her,” Hyukjae mumbled, covering his mouth to conceal his apparent embarrassment.

“Did you hear that Teuk. Our boy has finally grown up!” Donghae shouted as he sat down on Hyukjae’s lap.

Leeteuk made his way excitedly to them and sat on the armrest. “Go on!! What else? What did she say? Did she pull away? How was the kiss? Oh my gawd I can’t believe this day has actually come. Donghae, please slap me in the face me so I know this isn’t a desperate dream I’m having for this deprived child you’re sitting on. No, I’m just kidding, I rely on this face to make money.”

Donghae punched Leeteuk’s arm to stop his rambling. “Shut up! Let him speak.”

Hyukjae once again had their attention, but he didn’t exactly know where to start or what to say.

“How about I make this simple for you. Just like any other sappy drama, you guys obviously talked, you poured out your feelings to each other, she was crying, you wanted to comfort her, so you kissed her, she responded, lucky for you,” Donghae stated.

Hyukjae stared. 

“I’ll take that as a yes,” Donghae eyed Hyukjae, sighing as he got off of him.

“Aww man, you just ruined it for my wild imaginations,” Leeteuk complained as he returned to the bed and laid face-down on it.

“Please don’t tell me that’s all. If it is, then your love life is like receiving a pair of plain white socks on Christmas morning.”

“Oh, I’ll show you plenty of action tomorrow at the beach," Hyukjae asserted.

He had already started missing Cherie the moment she stepped into Kyuhyun's front door.

He needed to see her again. He needed to touch her again. He needed to hug her and cuddle her again because she was his.

'Finally.'

 -----------------------------------------------------------