Acne

☆ Beauty Tips and Tutorials ☆

Acne. A girl's worst nightmare.

Well worry no further because this chapter is going to help reduce your acne.

 

First of all, what is acne and the causes of it?

Acne (aka Acne Vulgaris) is a human skin disease, which is characterized by red skin, blackheads and whiteheads, pinheads, pimples and possibly scarring. It is most common in the adolescence (teenager) years and usually continues into adulthood.

In teenagers, acne is usually caused by the change of hormones (such as menstrual cycles in females or the increase of testostrone in males) and oil clogging the pores in your skin. Acne can be also caused by stress and can be caused by psychological and can be genetic.

 

Ways to Get rid of Acne: DIY at home

1. Washing the face twice daily: If you want to get clear skin, wash your face twice (if you already do, that's great). Once in the morning and one at night.

  • Wash your face for at least a minute straight because it takes at least this long for all the bacteria that causes acne to be killed.
  • If you wear makeup during the day, make sure that you wash it off before you go to bed because sleeping with makeup on increases the pimple count and makes your acne harder to get rid of so use an oil-free makeip remover before washing to make sure all traces of makeup have been removed.

2. Using products that contain Benzoyl Peroxide

  • You can use this in the form of soap or a lotion. It's good as it cleans off dead skin and allows/helps your skin to regenerate new, clean cells a lot faster.
  • Caution - Look for products with 3% or less Benzoyl Peroxide in order to avoid skin irritation.

3. Using Salicylic Acid

  • This acid is similar to Benzoyl Peroxide; it cleans off dead skin and encourages new skin growth. However, you may experience dry skin and scaliness but don't worry, it will disappear over time as the new skin cells grow. You can use this in a cleanser or a spot treatment daily however it can cause your skin to be more sun-sensitive so wear sunscreen!

4. Use a Retinoid

  • Retinoid Cleansers contain high levels of Vitamin A, which help clean out clogged pores and they dissolve grime. These can be purchased over the counter or you can get a prescription from your doctor.

5. Using Sulfur-containing Cleansers

  • It's unknown to why Sulfur works as an acne killer but it does. You can look for products that contain sulfur to clear up acne, it's assumed by reducing oil production

6. Product that contain Azelaic Acid

  • Azelaic Acid is an antibacterial that helps to reduce redness and inflammation with the acne. It is naturally found in wheat and barley. If your acne leaves behind dark marks (like mine do), try using a product that contains Azelaic Acid to clean the pores and reduce the dark spots.

7. Using Spot Treatments: These are really only to be used on the acne itself rather than the whole face.

  • You can make a paste by using baking soda and water then apply to the affected areas. Do this at night before you go to bed and then rinse it off in the morning to clean out bacteria and the dead skin cells.
  • Aspirin Tablets can be crushed and mixed with water. Apply it to your pimples/zits to reduce swelling and redness.
  • Use a dab of toothpaste to dry out the pimples, but it can cause redness for some people so I would be careful.

8. Using a face mask: You can buy these or you can make your own

  • Use olive oil and apply it to your face and allow the "mask" to set for 15 minutes. Then rinse it off with warm water, making sure to remove the traces of oil.
  • Rub a light layer of honey on your face and leave it sit for half an hour before rinsing off with warm water.
  • Using an egg mask facial (Chapter 2)

9. Exfoilate The Face

  • Exfoilants are mild scrubbing products that get rid of dead skin cells that build up and cause acne. Buy them at a drugstore or make your own.
  • Baking Soda and Water, make a paste with it (just like with the spot treatment) and gently rub it on your face in a circular motion. It'll kill bacteria and remove the dead skin cells
  • People with sensitive skin should use oatmeal. Mix Oatmeal with honey and rub in circular motion on your face and then gently rinse with warm water.
  • People with dry skin, you should use coffee grounds mixed with your moisturizer and copy the actions in the two previous. It'll be more gentle to your skin.

10. Use a toner after washing

  • These will tighten the pores and make it less likely for dirt and oil to be trapped in them. Buy them or use witch hazel or apple cider vinegar. Do not rinse them off, keep toners on your skin.

 

You can attend a Dermatlogogist (Skin Doctor) or a spa to help with your acne.

  • Facial
  • Facial Peel
  • Microdermabrasion (removal of dead skin cells)
  • Laser Treatment
  • Light Treatment
  • Prescription Drugs

 

LIFESTYLE CHANGES

  1. Exercise
  2. Do not touch your face - This is difficult but do not touch the face or pop any pimples, this will just worsen it.
  3. Shower often
  4. Eat Healthily
  5. Sleep Well (8 Hours)
  6. Drink Lots of Water
  7. Relax
  8. Wash your fabrics (pillows, clothes, towels, blankets) - Should be washed at least once a week to remove oil and bacteria on the fabrics.
  9. Use oil free makeup

 

Most of these do not get rid of it right away. Try to be patient.