19-- Always

Who Are You?

The perfect opportunity to test how serious Jongin is presents itself on Thursday night.

Sehun decides to throw a small party to celebrate the group’s performance opportunity.

“It’ll just be something small,” He assures us, “It’ll just be us and a couple of other friends, so there’s no need to dress up,”

“Dress up?” I wrinkle my nose, “I wasn’t even thinking of it.”

“Who’s got time to dress up?” Sujin scoffs.

 

“So what the hell are you going to wear?”

“I have no bloody idea!”

It’s the evening of the party and Sujin’s in my room. We have an assortment of clothes thrown out all over my bed and ones we’ve rejected lay scattered on the floor. Sujin’s finally decided to wear a blue flared mini skirt and a white blouse with fine silver threading detailing on the collar. I’ve curled her hair so it falls over her shoulder on one side in jet black ringlets. Her eyes are outlined with blue and silver eye shadow and she has her trademark eyeliner flick on.

“It’s all right for you; you’re looking amazing for Sehun!” I whine, kicking a stray skirt.

“Okay let’s figure this out properly,” She claps her hands and turns away to look in my closet. “What kind of look are you going for?”

“I want to make Jongin notice me, like properly look at me.”

“So you want to make his jaw drop then…” She muses, holding something up then throwing it down. “But you also want other guys to notice you too right?”

“Well yeah, but not so I can go out with them or something,” I say hastily, “I just feel like Jongin needs a wakeup call. I want him to notice the fact that other people notice me.”

“Okay…Aha!” Sujin pulls something off a hanger in my closet and joins me over at the mirror. “What about this?”

She holds a red dress against me and we both peer at the mirror.

“It’s a bit plain,” I say.

“It’ll be perfect, trust me hurry up and try it on,” She s it into my hands and stands back to wait.

Sighing and thoroughly bored of trying to find something to wear, I slip the dress on and peer into the mirror. The dress is figure hugging and quite flattering and the neckline isn’t too low so I don’t feel that self conscious. When I turn to the side, Sujin gives a low whistle,

“Look at that S line. My friend, this is the one.”

“You think so?” I say a slow smile forming on my face. “You don’t think it’s too short?”

“No, not shorter then some of the other girls will be wearing I’m sure,” She sniffs. “Dude it’s perfect, you’re going to be the Lady in Red tonight!”

We spend about half an hour painting our toenails and then Sujin straightens my hair and for once it actually turns out right. Instead of a frizzy mess, my hair falls smooth and silky to my waist. After applying several gallons of mascara to my eyelashes, concealer to hide away any imperfections and a slick of red lipstick, we finally are just about ready to leave.

“I’m not wearing heels,” I refuse point blank when Sujin holds up the only pair I have, “I’m already tall enough already, I don’t need them to make me a giant. And anyway we’re just going to take them off when we go to Sehun’s anyway.”

“I can’t even be bothered to debate this with you,” Sujin rolls her eyes and chucks a pair of black flats at me.

I quickly check my phone as I lock my apartment door. There’s a message from Jongin asking where I am.

“Don’t reply,” Sujin says quickly over my shoulder. “It needs to be a complete surprise.”

“Then you don’t reply to Sehun either,” I say, snatching her phone.

“Fine fine,” She holds up her hands.

I chuck my keys in my bag and fix my hair. Sujin and I look at each other.

“Ready to make some trouble?” Sujin says.

“Ready to do some damage?” I ask.

We grin at each other and her eyes reflect the excitement I’m feeling inside.

“Hell yes,” We shout together and linking arms, we set off down the hallway.

 

I can hear the music as soon as we arrive on Sehun’s street. I stretch my neck to peer up at the block of apartments and can see that all the windows are thrown wide open.

In the lift we’re silent, checking our appearances in the mirror and fixing any smudges.

“You look beautiful,” I say to Sujin, “Sehun’s hit the jackpot with you.”

“And you look amazing,” She takes my hands and smiles earnestly at me, “Kai’s going to have to fight to notice you at this rate.”

“I wish!” I laugh, just as the lift doors ping open.

We step out into Sehun’s hallway and over to his door. Sujin tries knocking at first but the chance of us being heard with the music so loud is very slim.

“We might as well just open it,” I say and turn the handle.

The door swings open.

The noise and atmosphere hits us almost like a physical wave. It’s quite dark in the apartment and the bass of the music is amazing. It causes excitement to rise within me and I mentally tell myself, This is it, make your entrance.

Sujin takes my hand and squeezes it.

Together we talk into the main room where the music is pumping. I concentrate on holding my head high and making my hips sway. Chanyeol is the first one to see us and his eyes widen as he jumps to his feet.

“Y-Yah, Ara and Sujin are here!” I see his lips move. Suho turns around with a bright smile on his face but it slowly slides off in shock.

“Ara?” He says, pointing.

Baekhyun comes over and his face breaks out into an appreciative smile.

“You guys look amazing.” He takes my hand and makes me twirl around.

“Those colours really suit you Sujin,” Kyungsoo says.

“Aw thanks Kyungsoo,” She smiles.

“Wow Ara this is certainly a change,” Chanyeol says, his eyes still wide.

“Yah it’s just a dress,” I say, slapping his hand but instead I’m thrilled to bits to have this reaction.

“We’re not used to seeing you in a dress,” Suho says, “You mainly wear jeans and dungereens.”

I really need to make more of an effort for college.

“Oh hey guys…” Sehun’s voice trails off as he makes his way over to us. He’s about to smile and make a comment when he sees me but then his eyes catch sight of Sujin and the words just die on his lips. The warmth and love in his eyes is so evident that it makes me just so glad that he exists, so glad that he can make Sujin smile so wide and feel so special.

“Ah Jongin,” I hear Chanyeol say, and that’s all it takes to drag me from my thoughts and my palms to go slick with sweat.

Slowly, as if in slow motion, I turn around and there he is.

He’s standing there so effortlessly casual, wearing a white tshirt with the first few buttons open, exposing the top of his chest and his collarbones. But it’s his hair that makes my heart pump faster. His fringe no longer rests messily against his head, instead it’s gelled up into waves that sweep over to the side, joining the rest of his hair that has been perfectly sculptured for ultimate appeal. It exposes his forehead which only adds to his overall bone structure and for once I can see how neat and straight his eyebrows are.

He raises a hand and beckons me over with a small smirk on his face. I’ m about to walk over to him when I remember. Hooking a strand of my hair to twirl round my finger, I slowly shake my head.

Surprise enters his features and he frowns slightly.

You come here. I mouth to him.

He raises his eyebrows and the smirk is back on his face. He runs a hand through his hair and his head to the side, surveying me. Even from across the room I can see the stubbornness in his eyes; he’s not moving.

I raise a finger and flick it forward, beckoning him towards me, giving him a final chance to come towards me for once.

As if to make his point, Jongin steps back a couple of paces to lean against the wall and folds his arms.

Okay you had your chance.

I walk slowly towards him, enjoying the smugness that lands on his features and knowing it isn’t going to last long.

“Someone’s made an effort,” I say when I reach him.

“I could say the same about you,” He replies, eyes travelling over my body. “Why wouldn’t you come over here at first? Was it some sort of game?”

“Game?” I give a little laugh, “If you thought it was a game then wouldn’t you have tried to win?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Do you think I’m going to come every single time you call me?” I ask, “Without you having to make a single move?”

“I didn’t have to make a move this time,” He shrugs lazily.

I actually laugh out loud at that,

“Ah Jongin Jongin Jongin,” I run my hand down his shirt to smooth it out and catch his lip bite, “You’re going to regret that.”

“And why is that?” He mummers, leaning closer. Before his lips can land on my shoulder, I sidestep neatly out of the way.

“Hey hey hey,” I wag my finger, “That’s not very fair is it? If you can’t walk over to me, you can’t expect to touch me.”

“I touch what I want,” He growls, and as if to prove his point he grabs my wrist and pulls me roughly against him. All at once his cologne wraps around my senses and I’m aware of his physical presence and the warmth radiating from his body. His hand snakes around my waist, bringing me closer and I hear the little sigh that leaves his lips.

“Not with me you don’t,” I whisper right into his ear. Then, with will power that my body is reluctant to accept, I place my hands on his chest and push myself away. I keep telling myself I deserve this, I deserve to know if he’s serious, to try and ignore the part of my brain that’s screaming at me for pushing him away.

Jongin considers me for a moment, biting the corner of his lip, before he pushes himself off the wall.

“I want you,” He states, “I told you that from the beginning right? Do you remember?”

“I remember,” I say, a bit shakily as the look in his eyes is getting more intense by the second.

“Good. So let me tell you something else. Make sure you remember this as well.” He leans in and I feel his lips on my ear, warm breath tickling my skin. “I always get what I want.” He draws back slightly and his eyes are smouldering as he looks at me. “Always.

“Well that may have been true in the past,” I agree, letting my eyes linger on his lips. “But this is the present. I’m not just something you can have without trying. I’m something you have to work for. Make sure you remember this,” I give a soft smile as I look back into his eyes. I can tell he knows I’m being serious. “Always.

---------------------

A/N: Sorry this update took long for me to put up, I had a busy day! Hope you enjoyed it and sorry if there's an mistakes; I shall edit it tomorrow! Need to go to bed now as it is nearly 4am! Ciao! <3