17-- Happy

Who Are You?

Days go by without a word from Kris. It takes all my strength and will power not to text or call him again. I don't want to annoy him or pressure him into giving an answer, my instinct tells me to just wait; everything will turn out fine.

And if he doesn’t accept the money I will personally come to China and ram it down his throat.

As December makes it's arrival, Christmas decorations begin to litter the streets. Lights hang strewn in all the trees like small glowing fires in between branches. Suddenly walking around at night become more comforting; the spirit of Christmas has the power to make me feel a thousand times safer.

One afternoon I wake up from a nap and decide it's high time I let my Christmas into my apartment.

I go into my room and drag out the worn box of decorations from under my bed. Saja sniffs it suspiciously and jumps inside. I hear him give a little sneeze as the cloud of dust turns him from white to brown.

"I guess it has been there for a while," I say sheepishly, wiping my finger along a bauble and inspecting the dust.

I put on some music as I dance around my apartment, laying tinsel across the windowsill and sticking stickers on the window. I finally wrap fairy lights around my TV and then stand back to survey my handiwork.

"Perfect," I grin, dusting off my hands. "Or it will be when the Christmas trees up. Right Saja?"

He's too busy tearing a piece of paper to shreds to reply.

I lay out all the different bits for the Christmas tree on the floor. Right now it looks like it would be impossible to erect the tree; all the branches look the same so it's hard to tell which one goes where.

Thankfully I have the piece of paper that will make this process a whole lot easier and a whole lot quicker

"Where did I put them," I mumble, looking in the box and standing up to check I'm not sitting on them. I even go to check in the draw under the TV in case I moved the instructions for safe keeping. "Where is it?" I frown, straightening up. My eyes swivel over the room. "I could have sworn..."

No.

Oh no no no.

Marching over I point my finger at Saja,

"Move away," I command sternly. He skulks over to the side, still with a slip of paper in his paws.

I pick up the instructions, now in pieces as small as confetti thanks to Saja.

Sighing and slapping a hand to my forehead, I put the pieces of paper in the bin. Time to do this the old fashioned way.

I spend hours trying to slot in all the right pieces for the christmas tree. Saja doesn't dare come and instead watches mournfully from the corner.

Eventually though the tree begins to take shape and as the moon makes itself comfortable for the night in the sky, a fully completed tree stands in front of me.

"Screw the decorations." I dismiss the box of baubles and tinsels and vow to do it another day. My knees crack as I stand up and I stretch so hard I go light headed. I need to take another nap to recover.

Suddenly my phone bursts into life. I leap onto the sofa and snatch it off the cushion. Recently I've been keeping my phone on it's highest volume (this got me into so much trouble when it blared to life in the middle of class) in case Kris rings with his answer. One look at the screen tells me it's only Jongin.

Not that I I’m complaining.

“Can I help you?” I answer.

“Hey is that any way to greet me?” He replies, trying to sound offended but failing.

“You sound happy,” I say, “What are you doing?”

“Ah well that’s the whole reason I’m calling you,” He says, “We’ve just has the best news in the entire world.”

“Why what’s happened?” I say curiously.

“Okay so me and the guys were practising some new songs in the jazz club and then this business man walks in and says he wants us to perform! At his benefit!”

“Perform?” I gasp, “Like seriously perform?”

“Like seriously perform!” Jongin confirms, so excited his voice rises pitch. “On a stage and everything! He said there’s going to be a lot of important people there and it’ll be a chance for us to make contacts. And get this…he’s going to pay us!”

“Jongin this is insane!” I push my hair back and half laugh, “This is so amazing and random! How much are they going to pay you?”

“He said we’d discuss it later. He’s told us to come round tomorrow so he can pick the songs he wants and sort out money. I can’t believe it.”

“Ah I’m so happy for you all,” I say genuinely, “You guys deserve this so much.”

“I really can’t believe it. It’s just so out of the blue-” Jongin’s voice abruptly disappears to be replaced by Chanyeol’s deep tone.

“Ara, did you hear? You heard right? We’re going to be performing! We’re going to be stars!”

“Steady on Yeollie,” I laugh, “I guess I’d better get your autograph now right?”

“I just- yah yah yah I’m speaking- wait Baekhyun…” There’s a scuffle on the phone line.

“Isn’t the news amazing?” Baekhyun says, “You’ll come and watch us right? I’m sure he’ll let you come! Then you can get dressed up…”

“You guys seem to forget this is my phone,” I hear Jongin mutter.

“Of course I’ll come and watch. It’d be great to finally see you guys perform.” I smile.

“Ara,” Now the phone’s back to Jongin. “You need to come down to the jazz club to celebrate with us.”

“I’ll come and pick her up!” Chanyeol shouts and I hear the tinkle of car keys.

“Alright then, I will!” I say happily. The prospect of spending my evening with the boys when they’re in such good spirits sounds like fun.

“I’ll see you soon then,” Jongin says.

“Hey Jongin,” I say just before the phone line goes dead.

“Yes?”

“I’m really proud of you. Of all of you,” I say softly, and then inwardly cringe at how cheesy that sounded.

“Thanks Ara,” Jongin replies softly, “That means a lot.”

 

"I can't believe it," Is the first thing Chanyeol says when I get into the car. The natural easy smile his face seems to have taken up permanent residence. "This is something we've been hoping for."

"It's really random. I think it's fate!" I say as I strap my seatbelt. "I hope I can come and watch."

"I'm sure you will be able to. And even if you can't, we'll give you a private performance in the jazz club," Chanyeol grins.

I look out at the window. The shops are still open and their shop windows shine bright in the darkness, attracting people off the straight.

It takes around 20 minutes to get to the jazz club. Chanyeol parks the car and then pushes open the door.

"Ara's here!" Sehun calls, alerting everyone to my arrival.

"You came!" Kyungsoo says, his face breaking out into a lovely smile.

"Hey pretty lady," Baekhyun sings, winking at me from the stage.

Jongin's dancing by himself at the foot of the stage, and at first I don't think he's heard I've arrived. But then he smoothly slides over, takes my hand and bows over it.

"Madame has arrived," He says with a cheeky smile. His dark eyes are shinning.

On impulse I throw my arms around his neck. His arms encircle my waist and hold me tight.

"I'm really happy for you Jongin." I look around at all of the happy faces in front of me, "I'm happy for all of you."

"Is that a cue for a group hug?" Chanyeol says mischievously.

"I think it is!" Kyungsoo agrees.

"I think it isn't." I say, eyeing Chanyeol, who looks ready to jump off the stage right into the hug like this is rugby.

"Come and sing with us," Suho smiles. He slips into a duet with Baekhyun, their voices soaring and shivering with emotion.

"I think I'll let you guys take it away," I chuckle.

Jongin takes my hand and leads me over to sit at a table.

"Just enjoy the show," He whispers, giving me a quick wink before walking backwards. Sehun strolls over with his hands in his pockets to meet Jongin at the front of the stage. Then, as if by some telepathic communication, they both start dancing at the exact same time, with the exact same movement. Sehun portrays attitude in every single movement, his eyebrows permanently furrowed as if daring someone to challenge him. Jongin excludes sensuality, his expressions teasing and intense. He bites his lips so many times I find myself touching my own.

I'd be quite happy to sit there and watch them all night, but before I know it, Chanyeol's pulling me to my feet, saying, "You didn't think you were just going to be allowed to sit there all night right?"

"Ahh Chanyeol I'm not much of a dancer," I begin to protest.

"Aw are you too chicken Ara?" Baekhyun says.

"Oh no no no how could you even go there Baekhyunnie!" I shake my head, "Now I have to show you my moves!"

It's amazing to be with a group of people, who you care about so much, and look around to see a smile on each and every one of their faces. When I think of this time in the future I'll remember happiness so thick it's as though it gives a hazy glow to everything. Lights so bright I can see them with my eyes closed. I’ll remember Booty shaking with Baekhyun on the stage, singing a silly duet with Chanyeol, doing a funny cute dance with Suho. I'll remember Kyungsoo's wide eyed look of laughter. I'll remember laughing so much that breathing isn't an option. I'll remember the way Kyungsoo sings, his voice hitting those sultry notes while I slow dance with Jongin. His hands looped around my waist and mine draped on his shoulders, head resting on his shoulder as we sway from side to side. When I think of this moment I'll remember how it feels to feel utterly content. When I remember this moment I'll remember how it feels to feel happy.

I'll remember this moment forever.

 

"What are you doing out here?"

I turn around. Jongin's leaning against the wall, strands of his hair dancing in the breeze.

"Just getting some fresh air," I smile, turning back to survey the night sky. Chanyeol’s sliver car glints in the moonlight.

I feel a presence behind me and then arms slip around my waist and Jongin presses his face against my shoulder.

“You’ll always be our biggest fan right?” He mumbles.

“Of course,” I say immediately.

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

I feel his lips stretching into a smile against my shoulder.

“You better keep it,” He says, straightening up. He twists me around to face him and smiles at me, drifting his thumb over my cheek. When it reaches the corner of my lips, he frowns slightly and his gaze grows more intense. His face inches closer, lips parted and even though I don’t want to let myself hope that this is going to happen, I close my eyes anyway.

It doesn’t happen of course.

Right at the last moment, Jongin pushes himself backwards and looks away, covering his mouth with his hand. I roll my eyes and turn my back on him, leaning against the metal railing.

“Ara…”

“What’s wrong Jongin,” I sigh, “What’s wrong with me?”

“Nothing’s wrong with you,” Jongin tugs my arm to bring me sharply round to face him again. “Don’t ever say that. It’s not you it’s me,”

“Oh where have I hear that before,” I mutter sarcastically.

“No really, listen.” Jongin cups my cheeks and forces me to look him directly in the eyes. Up close he looks flawless. Not that I’m paying attention to his other features; his eyes always greedily steal all my attention. “I really want to kiss you. Believe me I do.”

I feel an ache in my stomach to hear him say that.

“Then why Jongin?”

“I can’t!” He let’s go of my face and runs a hand through his hair in frustration. “I really want to but I really can’t. And it’s stressing me out.”

“But why can’t you?” A sudden thought occurs to me, “Are you involved with someone?”

“No!” Jognin cries in shock, “No there’s no one else I can assure you!”

“Then..?” I throw my hands up in despair, “Could you at least explain?”

“Please Ara, I can’t. I can’t explain. Please don’t ask me to,” The look in his eyes is so sad and desperate. He’s actually begging me. But the curiosity is killing me.

“Please?” I whisper.

“I’ll tell you eventually. Eventually I’ll be able to do it.” He pulls me in for a hug, “There’s just a few things I need to sort out. I just can’t put it into words right now.”

“Is there anything you can do?” I mumble against his shirt. His shoulders shake slightly as he laughs.

“I can do this,” He whispers. I feel the softness of his lips as he drags them down my neck before nipping my collar bone.

“You always torture my neck.” I say with a long-suffering sigh, the butterflies in my stomach letting me know they’re alive and well.

“Torture?” Jongin raises an eyebrow and laughs. I’ve noticed how when he laughs a crease appears right in the side of his cheek, almost like a straight dimple. “You make me sound so evil.”

“You are evil,” I mumble, “You kiss me everywhere except for my lips.”

“Ah that’s because lips are special,” He says, resting his cheek against mine.

“So am I not special then?” I ask in a small voice.

Jongin leans back and looks at me, his eyes roaming all over my face. A slight smile softens his features and ignites the warmth in his eyes. He closes his eyes and leans in to deliver a slow soft kiss to my forehead.

“You are special,” He whispers softly, my hair. “You are very special to me.”

 

When I finally get home, I chuck my bag on the cushion and throw myself on the sofa. I’m exhausted from all the dancing and laughter and I don’t even know if I have the energy to make it to my bed. Saja comes and settles down on to my feet to sleep. I turn the TV on and flick over the channels. A mobile phone commercial reminds me that I haven’t checked my phone all evening. Yawning, I drag my bag over and take out my phone and then slide open the padlock on the screen to unlock the phone.

2 New Missed Calls.

1 New Voice Message.

My fingers press the missed call button. The number doesn’t seem to be Korean.

All signs of tiredness evaporate from my body. My fingers are shaking as I press the button to hear my voice message. I slowly bring the phone to my ear:

 

Hey Ara? It’s Kris. I tried phone you twice before but it went straight to voicemail. Sorry I didn’t get in touch earlier…I was doing a lot of thinking. I’ve spoken to the guys here in China with me. They’re just as shocked as I am. To be honest I still can’t believe that you want to do this for us. I know that you mentioned you have a lot of money, so a couple of thousand probably isn’t a big deal to you. But for us… So anyway what I’m trying to say is. Wow this is crazy. This is so crazy and I can’t believe I’m saying this but…Is your offer still available?

--------------

A/N: Hope you enjoyed the update guys! Sorry it was so late! It would have been sooner but I wrote it all down on my phone and then it switched off! I had to rewrite it all over again and it was paainfuul! But here we are. Tell me what you think! Thanks for reading! <3