Ize Interview

All About BTS (Facts,info,videos,pics,schedule)

BANGTAN STORIES BY ITS OWN MEMBERS

image

Rap Monster. Real name Kim Namjoon. Born on September 12th 1994. During my underground days, I used the stage name Runch Randa. I got that name from the character my friend (who introduced me to rap) and I were taking care of in Maple Story. I read lots of books and all sorts of writings while writing rap lyrics to increase my vocabulary. It didn’t really work out after debuting though, because we’re so busy. But if I ever get an idea or remember good words, I always right them down on a notepad. At one point, my nickname was “Dance Prodigy" - I was so bad at dancing that my dance teacher and the company staff called me that. The difference between the things I’m good at and the things I’m bad at is extremely obvious. I thought “Ah, that’s not my speciality. Everyone has their own thing, and there are just some things you shouldn’t do." about dancing. But turns out, it wasn’t impossible. Nowadays I’m told that I actually dance like a normal person. The members might not agree with that, though. (laughs) Although I don’t show it, I’m really nervous on stage. I used to watch people on TV walk out from behind LED doors on Mnet so actually doing it was fascinating and nerve-racking. I once went on stage without my microphone pack so I started fretting about that also. But when I got on stage, I got the feeling that I was in charge of the place. I think you need that kind of mentality when doing hip-hop. Because I have a fierce image, I often think “I’m the best here." But unlike what you see, I have a shy personality in real life. The members tell me that there’s a big gap from me on stage and off-stage. (Suga: On stage, he wears sunglasses and has a powerful image but he actually likes cute things. He keeps the ball he received at a fansign on his bed.) I have a habit of singing loudly at night in the dorm. I always sing so I never thought that it’d affect the members. I realized that after a while but the members never said anything - probably because I’m the leader and I was the first member in the dorm. (laughs) I think I’ve improved by 7, 80% now. I always check the current affairs and general topics in the news. It’s easy to neglect things happening around the world because of our busy schedules. I don’t like that so I check the news. If I ever have a girlfriend who isn’t an idol, I want to write them a song that apologizes for being an idol. Imagine how much the girl would dislike the fact that I’m an idol, since I’m always busy and because there are so many other fans who like me even though she’s there. I would like her to know that ‘I’m a much better person than you think.’ It’s because no matter what others do or say, I know myself the best. Also, even though this may make me sound arrogant, I want to say that I haven’t shown half of half of my abilities. I have a lot of charms and hope to show them in the future.

image

Suga. Real name Min Yoongi. Born on March 9th 1993. There was a stage name I used as a lyricist in Daegu. I wanted to use that but people said it had no impact and that I should have a prettier name so Bang Sihyuk PD and I came up with a few ideas. Out of those choices, he said “Suga" suited me best so that’s how I got this name. It’s kind of a dazzling name but I think that’s what people wanted. It’s a name that contradicts the image I have on stage. When I first came to Seoul and went to the recording studio, Rap Monster and two other trainees were wearing Adidas tracksuits in different colors - blue, green, and black. I felt like I had to buy one too, so I got a blue tracksuit. (laughs) The name Bangtan was finalized before we even thought of other names. There were a few other suggested names, though. Young Nation, Big Kids, and a few others were candidates but we decided that Bangtan sounded cooler. I decided to pursue a career in music after hearing Stony Skunk sunbaenim’s “Ragga Muffin" in 6th grade. I chose to rap after listening to “Fly" by Epik High sunbaenims. I had some basic Midi gear that was essential in music-making before entering the company. They were things that I had bought as a lyricist after saving up enough money by walking around for two hours every day and skipping dinner every day. But all the equipment in our logs are things that Bang Sihyuk PD gave us. (laughs) In our pre-debut song “Satoori Rap", I rap in my native Daegu satoori. My satoori is kind of awkward now because I’ve fixed it, but it’ll be solved with a quick visit to Daegu. In one of the lyrics that I wrote in 2011, there’s a part that says “My rapping makes Superstar K’s Huh Gak gasp~" I had that much confidence in myself but as my training period got longer, I couldn’t help but think “I’m only worth this much. Should I just give up?" Even while saying that, I always wrote raps at midnight and trained a lot. My role is to nag or scold the younger members when they make a mistake. It’s because I’m the only member in the group who can speak harshly. I have an honest and blunt personality so if I feel that something isn’t right, I always speak up about it. I’ve posted it on Twitter before but once I get all the necessary supplies, I’d really like to have a cooking battle. Jin hyung is good at cooking but I also have some know-how that I’ve collected. (laughs) On Twitter, I use the words "슙슙" and "응캬캬" frequently. There are people who like it and people who say it’s greasy. My real personality isn’t aegyo-y like that and I’m actually quite straightforward. I just write like that because I want to do that with fans. You could say that it’s my special way of showing fans that I like them. 

image

J-Hope. Real name Jung Hoseok. Born on February 18th 1994. I received commissioned education in Gwangju after signing a contract with my company. I thought ‘They’re so cool. There are these type of people at my company.’ after Rap Monster and Suga hyung were revealed. I moved to the dorm in December but there was a really big difference. My hopeful fantasy of trainee life shattered. (laughs) I got a lot of prizes in Gwangju for my dancing. I won an underground dance battle and even performed at a festival. (V: I can confirm this. While enrolling at Korea Arts School, there were lots of trainees coming from different districts. When I debuted with Bangtan, my friends asked me “J-Hope hyung, is he the one from that dance academy in Gwangju?" That’s how famous he was.) Before debuting, the members and I always did midnight dance practices. Me, Jimin, and Jungkook would often take lead and practice at midnight or sometimes even 1 or 2 am, practicing for two hours each time. First we practice the basics, then move onto details. Dance has freestyle like rapping, so sometimes we’d gather in a circle and dance. What I like best about dancing is that we all can agree. They understand faster when I explain by saying “In rapping you do this, it’s the same in dancing. Let’s try it out." These days I think V is the best at catching up and understanding. At first I thought “Ah….what do I do." but now he enjoys dancing and is showing a lot of interest in it. Rap Monster’s dancing skills have also improved a lot. In other words, he’s become great [at dancing]. (laughs) I’m the only member with an older sister. She’s five years older than me but we’re really close. You could say that she’s a tree who gives me constant support. There’s a lot of negative things about wearing a mask. First of all, it’s really hard to breathe and it gives me bad skin. I have to put it on straight after singing but depending on the type, there are some masks that don’t pull up that well and it’s hard. But lots of people recognize me because of it so I’m happy. Jin hyung made seaweed soup* for me and it tasted really good. It made me speechless. It tasted like my mom’s. (Jin: That was before we had a diet menu so I could put in soy sauce, salt, and beef into the soup.) I’m the type of person to approach someone without hesitation and my speaking habits are also like that. I sometimes nag Rap Monster and he says “Okay. I won’t do that anymore." but he never really listens. (laughs) Of course, now most of his bad habits are fixed. (Rap Monster: If I’m fire, J-Hope is water - he’s good at ‘turning off’ my bad habits. He’s really sociable so he’s good at mixing with others and our group members.) 

image

Jimin. Real name Park Jimin. Born on October 13th 1995. I was actually looking forward to what kind of stage name I’d receive. Some of the choices were Baby J, Baby G, and Young Kid, but we eventually decided to use my real name. (Suga: We all agreed that “Jimin" sounded the best.) I see my face every day so I just think “Did my face change a bit?" but people around me tell me that I’ve lost a lot of weight. My parents worry about me a lot because they only see me a few times a year and ask me if I’m eating properly. I personally feel that I’ve become more handsome after dieting when….fans take nice pictures of me? (laughs) I eat the same things as the other members but exercise more. I didn’t really feel anything when I first started developing abs but when I first stood on stage, people’s reactions were good so my thoughts on that have changed a bit. (Jin: Jimin’s body was really good when I first met him.) I didn’t talk about that because it’s embarrassing. (laughs) During the ‘No More Dream’ choreography, there’s a part when I kick all the hyungs while they’re standing in a line, but I always feel really sorry for kicking them so hard. Once I kicked Rap Monster hyung so hard he ‘disappeared’ for a while. While doing the next part of the choreography, all I can think is “Ah, I’m so sorry. What should I do. Are they hurt?" (Jungkook: You can actually hear the kicking sound.) I danced popping since 8th grade and gained interest in this kind of career after watching Rain sunbaenim’s performances. After that, I moved to Busan High School of Arts in the modern dance department and came here after my dance teacher suggested I audition for an entertainment company. While doing modern dance, I once danced TVXQ sunbaenims’s “Mirotic" with my friends and the reaction was really good. It was to the extent that….I felt like I had become a celebrity. (laughs) (Jungkook: Hyung said that there were girls waiting for him outside the bathroom.) It’s my first and last memory. My first log was done when I could barely open my eyes. It was right after I had finished my dance lesson so my face was a mess and there were eight other people in the room at the time so I felt really awkward. I could’ve filmed more comfortably if I were alone. I was last to be added to the group so that’s why I practice so hard. (Jin: Jimin practices whenever he has free time; he has an addiction to practicing. He sleeps three hours a day, and he practices so much it makes me worried that he might die practicing.) Once I wrote lyrics and brought them to Suga hyung but he said “You call these lyrics?" He told me to bring lyrics that we could actually use in a song. (Suga: He wrote lyrics that sounded like a children’s song.) I have a lot of know-how in skincare. I take a long time cleansing and put on moisturizer straight after washing my face. The main point is to put it on three seconds after drying your face with a towel.

image

Jungkook. Real name Jeon Jungkook. Born on September 1st 1997. Some stage names that were being considered for me because I was from Busan were Seagull, Young Gun, and many more. But they all told me that Jungkook was the best. In 7th grade I learned b-boying in a club with some friends and hyungs. Afterwards, I went to the Mnet auditions and got casted by my current company’s staff. When I danced, Bang Sihyuk PD told me “No emotion. No emotion while dancing." So, I went to the U.S for dance training. I learned urban style, female dancing style, powerful dances, and many more from famous choreographers. I think I learned how to properly show emotion in dancing. As soon as I came to Korea, I told the hyungs “Hyung, the U.S is great. I want to go again." so the hyungs were a bit upset. (laughs) In ‘No More Dream’, I’m in charge of saying “Okay mom, I told you I’m going to study hall now!" I have been to study hall a lot. I didn’t always study, but mostly read books. Mainly comic books…wait, was that the library? Never mind, I’ve never been to study hall. Hyungs gave me the nickname “Golden Maknae" I think I misbehave a lot because we’re all really close. I like to say annoying things a lot to the hyungs. (laughs) (Suga: He has a good memory so he can imitate us well / Rap Monster: He makes our voices sound weird when he imitates us.) There’s nothing bad about being the maknae. We all have our own beds in the dorm. The hyungs use the top bunks but because I got my bed last, I didn’t really have a choice. I’m about 3 cm taller than Jimin hyung. I don’t think he’s growing. (Jimin: I’m two years older than him but he keeps making fun of me for my height; I don’t think that’s right / Suga: I remember that when Jungkook first came, he was shorter than me. Seeing him grow taller makes me feel like I’ve raised him.) I like a lot of foods, so I’ll only pick my top three. First is pork soup rice, second is sashimi, and third is sea eel. Jin hyung and I have a five-year age difference but when he talks about his childhood, I really feel the generation gap. Sometimes I don’t really understand when hyung talks about crackers he used to eat, the movie , H.O.T, and things like that. Hyungs say that I’m going through a stormy period* right now. But I don’t think it’s puberty. (Suga: People going through puberty don’t know it’s puberty. I feel a bit sorry that he’s not able to experience the things he should be doing at that age / Rap Monster: I’m still jealous that he gets to go to the army later than us.)

image

Jin. Real name Kim Seokjin. Born on December 4th 1992. Made a big mistake during their first performance at It was my first time wearing a microphone pack and went up on stage with them attached to my normal pants, but they turned out to be too heavy. During “We Are Bulletproof Pt.2", there is a part when we jump down but while doing so, my pants went down all the way to my thighs. (laughs) I quickly pulled them back up but they fell off again during the second time. Other than eating, I also enjoy looking at photographs and recipes. But when I cook, the members’ reactions aren’t that good because my food always tastes the same. Even when I change the order I put in the ingredients, the results are the same. It’s because we have a diet plan to follow and the only available options are chicken meat, onions, paprika, and rice. (Jimin: Once we actually skewered some chicken meat and onions on a chopstick and cooked it but it tasted burnt.) Because I’m bad at cooking, I want to marry someone who is better at it than me. I’ve never even thought about marrying somebody who is worse at cooking than me. I eat all health products that I see. But I don’t eat other people’s [health products]. I was the last to enter the dorm so I had a hard time adjusting at first. I don’t live extremely neatly and don’t clean up all the time but feel that everyone should put away their dishes themselves after eating or put their laundry in the laundry basket but only J-Hope and Suga do that. After they left a big mess, I thought “Ah, will I be able to live here?" and started cleaning up everything. (Suga: Everything got fixed after the cleaning lady started coming to our dorm.) Once after school, I went to the practice room and spotted a new friend. He suddenly came over to me and started dancing while rubbing his body on me. (laughs) That friend was V. (V: I didn’t volunteer to dance, it’s just that another trainee hyung told me “The eldest hyung is going to be coming later. Show your charms then. Make a first impression that he’ll remember." As soon as Jin hyung came, I got embarrassed so I kept dancing while looking down. Hyung kept staring at me with a blank expression and eventually told me “You go dance in the front, over there.") I thought, “What is with this kid, really?" It’s still amazing. I didn’t really know it at first but after living with him for a while, I learned that we share a lot of hobbies. When I’m on the computer, V sometimes comes over and says “Hyung, you do this too?" and when V’s doing something, I ask him “You do this too?" From that moment on, I realized “Even though this kid is 4D, he’s a normal person who has the same hobbies as me." I like playing Super Mario and Maple Story. I started Super Mario when I was five years old and Maple Story in seven grade and still faithfully play them. I feel at ease when I see Super Mario characters and the monsters in Maple Story are extremely cute.

image

V. Real name Kim Taehyung. Born on December 30th 1995. The members call me 4D. I don’t really know why they do that. (Rap Monster: When he has a blank expression like he does right now, he seems really 4D / J-Hope: I think V would have a lot of charms to show off in variety shows because of his 4D-ness.) When I’m on the top bunk and watch animations, the members stare at me as if saying “That…addict." But after Jin hyung came into the dorm, I learned that we had a lot of the same hobbies. Hyung has a clean and prince-like feeling to him but he actually really likes animations, just like me. (Jin: Being clean and liking animations don’t link with each other!) These days whenever there’s a new animation, we talk about watching it together. I watched all the episodes of Also, and and other works of the director Hosoda Mamoru are my current favorites. I like almost all of the cartoons on Tooniverse and I think I’ve watched most of them. I was so moved after watching a video of Danny Jung and started playing the saxophone for three years. However, I suddenly got interested in dancing and decided to take a different path. I quit only a bit after changing from the classic saxophone to a jazz saxophone so I don’t know if I’m still as good as I was before. But I think I played really well three years ago. Clap! I don’t practice any individual talents on my own. I don’t prepare anything. I just do anything that suits the situation and think what should I do today? Should I try this? But……there are lots of times when I can’t come up with anything. (laughs) I was really sad when I couldn’t film any logs (videos that the Bangtan members take themselves and upload onto their blog). I followed the hyungs whenever they filmed a log, but couldn’t actually upload any of mine on the blog. I sat by myself and said “It’s this month and this date 2013, today I did this, this won’t go on the blog, right? I’m sad." I was also there when they filmed their group log, it’s just that I wasn’t shown on screen - I was actually standing by the trashcan. When I was revealed as a Bangtan member, I received exactly one letter. I was so happy. I didn’t sleep until 4:00 am and read it about fifteen times. I kept showing it off to the hyungs. I made a lot of mistakes during the part of ‘No More Dream’ when I have to throw off my glasses. The glasses are in my back pocket that has a zipper on it and once I had to make glasses with my fingers, and there has been several situations in which I threw my glasses off so hard I couldn’t find them after the performance. I don’t usually cry while watching movies. I’ve cried recently though, when I watched with Jin hyung. I cried as if someone had a faucet in my eyes. I haven’t been in a serious relationship yet. I want to marry my first love and be with them forever.