Chapter 1

Ice Cold

 

I stood in front of the mirror checking my appearance. I button the ends of my sleeve on my white dress shirt. My dyed blond hair was combed back exposing my forehead. My slanted but big eyes shine in excitement. A small smile tugged the ends of my thin, pink lips. I dusted off my black slacks before grabbing my coat and headed out the door.

Today was the day of the school dance. I was taking her. I wanted her to experience her first school dance with me. I bet she would look beautiful tonight. As beautiful as she originally is, but a little more extraordinary. I could not wait to see her in her dress. I couldn’t wait to be blown away like on our first date.

I arrive at her house; my car parked in the driveway, and got out to meet her at the door. As I rang the doorbell, the door opened revealing her mother. Her mother was about four inches shorter than her, about a foot shorter than me. She smiled at me, I returning the smile, and let me in to greet her father. Her father stood by the staircase. He was about the same height as me. I bowed respectfully towards the two adults asking if she was ready.

She called my name from the top of the staircase. She gracefully walked down with a small smile on her lips. If it weren’t for her five-inch heels, she would have stood a head shorter than me. She looped her arm around mine telling her parents that we would be taking her leave. Her parents nodded and bided us a farewell.

***

She stood there. Her straight, black hair touching her waist, her eyes like black, dark orbs sinking into mine. Her red, knee-length dress hugged her body fitting her perfectly illuminating her pale, white skin. She stood there looking at me. Burning holes as she stares at me. Her pale pink lips trembling from the cold spring air, her breaths coming out in white puffs. She did not utter a word. I knew I broke her. Everything we’ve gone through, every moment we shared, the kisses, the hugs, the small interactions between us, wasted.

We weren’t the perfect couple. We made mistakes, we had fights, we had arguments, we had disagreements; even through those misunderstandings, I would love her endlessly. She was the one for me. She keeps me sane.

What have I done? I ruined everything. Her stare is undefinable. It’s screaming at me, mocking me. Telling me how much I messed up, how much I hurt her. It was done. I can’t turn back time, no matter how much I want to, it was done.

After the long silence, I found the courage to speak, “Jae, I can explain.”

She kept silent. She took a hesitant step back. She wants to run. That would be uncharacteristically of her. She isn’t one to run from things. She is head-strong, brave. Braver than me, that I am sure of. I’m the coward. As she faces her problems head on; I would run, not wanting to admit anything. I admire her for that.

I took a step towards her, trying to close the gap between us. “Please, just let me explain.”

Her lips parted, “I’m done,” her voice was carried by the wind, almost making it inaudible. But I manage to hear her. My breath caught in my throat.

“What do you mean you’re done Jae? We’re not done. No! I refuse. Please.” I grab her hand, cold from the exposure of the night, and brought it to my chest to feel the beat of my heart. “Jae. Do you feel that? It only beats for you, you know that. I’m nothing without you. I know I messed up big time, but please, please, just let me explain,” I beg her. I must look as pathetic as I feel.

I envelop her in an embrace silently crying on her shoulder. I didn’t want her to leave me. She can’t possibly leave me. I can’t make her leave me.

“What else could you possibly want?!” she roared. “You got the ice princess to fall in love with you. Whoop-de-doo. Kudos to you and all your bull . If you wanted to play with someone’s heart, you should have picked a , not me! I’m not someone you can mess with Oh Sehun,” her words burned with slight sarcasm.

She tries pushing me away from her but I had a strong hold of her. I held her still, her chest pumping from outrage. I couldn’t let her win this. I must stay strong. For if she wins, she’s gone from my life. Call me selfish, I don’t care. I need her more than anything.

“I love you so much,” I whisper in her ear.

“Love? Oh, you don’t love me. You love the fact that you got the ice princess to fall for you. You love the fact that you won that stupid bet your friends set you in.”

I couldn’t take it. I didn’t want to hear about the biggest mistake of my life. The mistake that I love and hate at the same time. Love for it brought me and her together. Hate for it would be the only thing that would separate us.

Looking back six months ago I seemed so stupid, so idiotic to even agree to something like this. How could have I been that selfish enough to not think of ever hurting someone as precious as her. I knew I didn’t know her back then, no one knew her back then. Not one single soul got the chance to ever talk to her, to interact with her. Her title never encouraged anyone to befriend her. Who would want to be friends with the “Ice Princess” anyway?

Rumors. There were rumors about her. The only information that everyone assumed to be true about her. She never denied them nor did she claim them to be accurate. She was the school’s biggest mystery. She was beautiful, no doubt. I know she would receive looks from hormone ragged boys. My friends are one of them. I was one of them. Shameful, I know.

Being given the bet for a mere prize seemed despicable. I don’t want anything in return for winning such a foolish bet. In the process, I was able to win something more valuable. Something worth fighting for. I was able to win her heart. It took days, and those days turned into weeks, and those weeks turned into months.

Three months in total for her to finally accept my confessions. It took over thirty tries. Yes, I asked her over thirty times to be mine. She kept refusing. At first she ignored me, until she finally got annoyed with me. Every confession different from the other. The more she refused the more extraordinary the confession gets.

I held her right arm tightly tugging on her wrist as I drag her to my car. I pushed her in, buckled her up, and locked the door as I slammed it close. I hurriedly ran to the driver seat and started the ignition. I put the car in drive and slammed my foot on the pedal.

I drove. My mind being a jumbled mess. I am not going to make her leave my side. She begged me to slow down, to calm down, anything to lower the speed of the car. She held my arm even. I look sideways to her. She looked scared, vulnerable, the look she gives me when she’s terrified and she wants me to cuddle with her and whisper soft comforting words into her ear.

With that, I calmed down, slowly letting the pressure my foot had on the pedal to lessen to drive in legal speed. I drove into the garage of my condominium. I shut the engine off before getting out of the car. I walk to her side swinging the door open and pulled her out. She was resisting. I harshly pulled her out of the car and carried her on my shoulders closing the door once I had her balanced. I held on her legs as her upper body dangles from my shoulder, the tips of her hair touching my calves, holding her in place.

“Sehun,” she yells as she punches my back, “Put me down!” Her fist coming in hard blows as I held in the pain from every hit.

I refused her screams. I brought her up to my bedroom, laying her down on my king sized bed. I crawl in next to her, cuddling up to her side. My breaths hitting her neck – her very sensitive neck – making her squirm. I held on tighter as she tried pushing me away.

“I love you. I love you so much; I can’t bear to be without you. Yes, I do admit it was a bet,” I explain once she stopped struggling. “But all of that changed. I thought you were going to fall for me and that was all too it. But you made me fall for you. I must have fallen for you harder than you’ve fallen for me.

“Everything that happened between us, I didn’t fake them. I honestly enjoyed those moments. I love being with you. You made me a better person. Even my father likes the person I’ve become. I’m no longer the devil child in his eyes. What would happen when you leave me? I might become that devil child again. I might become the person I was before. I might be in such a miserable state that I am unconscious of my actions. What would happen to me if there were no us?”

Tears fell down as I spoke my heart out. Her breathing was calm as she stoke my hair softly – an act to calm me down. She places a kiss on the top of my head as she hummed to me my lullaby.

The lullaby that, without a doubt, can calm me down. The lullaby she wrote for me. I remember the first time she played the song for me. It was after the fight with my father. I came looking for her at midnight, telling her about my problems. She brought me to her music room and played that song for me hoping it would calm me down. And it did.

“So, what are you going to do about it?” she asks once my breathing became even.

Her question lingered in my thoughts. A question so simple yet I don’t know the answer to.  What was I going to do about it? Everyone in school, most likely, my friends, think I broke up with her, or am breaking up with her leaving her in tears and a broken heart. My thoughts led me to nowhere.

“Let’s scare them.”

I look at her. She wants to scare them?

“And how exactly are we going to do that?” I ask unsure of her plan.

“People are already scared of how cold I am, what more would they say if their precious ‘Aegyo Prince’ suddenly comes to school all cold? And I, of course, colder. It would scare the living lights out of them,” she says.

Be cold? Thinking about it sends chills down my spine. That means I have to be cold around my friends too. I thought about it. Being cold is something I never tried though some people say that I have the look of a cold person. How would it feel like to be cold? Building up barriers, becoming aware and ignoring the things around me, pretending to not have a heart.

I look at Jaehee. She seems sure of herself. She really wants to do this. I sat up and hovered over her. Telling her that I agree with her but also informing her that she would need to teach me how to be cold, to transform me into an “Ice Prince.”

She gave that smirk of hers. The smirk that can scare me. The smirk that gets me excited.

-------------------------------------------------------

Here is the first chapter. Please leave a comment below about your thoughts of the story. If i get postive feedback, I will continue on.