The cold and the fog

Canis Lupus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Two weeks passed and at this point Jonghun was able to open his eyes and watch the world around him. Everything was new and exciting to the pup and he wanted to grab and have it all, but he couldn’t do much more than rolling from one side to the other on his blanket, other than kicking his little legs every now and then.

As the care giving wolf, Luhan always stayed by his side, watching for his baby’s every need, while Sehun was more into the role of the provider, finding all kinds of food in the forest that would be easy for such a young baby to swallow.

They gave him milk of goats, soups and teas and the pup seemed to love it all, eating so much that he was starting to get chubby already. The good thing about all the weight gaining was that Kyungsoo’s woolen coat almost fit on him now.

In that morning Sehun and Luhan were awakened by the screams of a hungry baby and Luhan ran to soothe Jonghun while a dizzy Sehun went out to call for Kai and Kyungsoo. The three of them went off to the forest to hunt for meat for the pack and find more food for Jonghun. Since the winter was on their door, however, they had to go really far until they actually found something worth hunting.

At some point Kyungsoo was able to hear the creaking of leaves and he reached for Kai.

-There’s someone near.

Kai and Sehun started paying attention as well and now they could clearly hear the fast steps of a wolf approaching.

They sniffed the air and Sehun and Kyungsoo couldn’t identify the smell. Kai remembered feeling a smell like that, but he couldn’t remember whose was it, so the three of them turned into wolves as well, waiting for the other.

They saw a grey wolf running through the woods, looking determined, and Kai waited the right moment to throw himself on the invader.

He rolled with the wolf on the ground, both growling and trying to attack each other, but then the black wolf stopped, finally being able to recognize the scent and color. He turned into a human, tilting his head lightly to the wolf under him.

-Taemin? – He asked and sure enough the wolf took the shape of his old friend.

-I knew it was you! – Taemin exclaimed as they got up. – But once you attacked me, I started doubting it.

They hugged each other and Kai apologized as Sehun and Kyungsoo approached.

-It’s Taemin, guys. – He told the men, and they greeted each other.

Sehun was too young and he couldn’t remember much of that time, but Kyungsoo remembered the pack of the west well. They used to visit a lot when they were younger, and he asked for his old friend as well.

-Where’s Onew? Did he come along with you?

-He’s on the frontier, waiting for permission to enter. There’s five of us actually.

Kai smiled at him, poking his friend playfully.

-I didn’t know it was you, you didn’t send a warning or anything about your coming.

-We came in a hurry actually. – Taemin said, his smile fading. – Something invaded our land, something that doesn’t belong to this world…

-Like what? – Sehun frowned, confused.

-I’ll tell you what I know later, but now I need to call the others.

-Of course, you must be tired. – Kyungsoo noticed. - Me and Sehun will go get Onew and the others, and help bringing their things. Kai will take you to the village.

Taemin thanked them and the two wolves ran to the west frontier as he and Kai walked to the village. Taemin was really tired and pale, almost sick looking and Kai had to even help him walk when they were close to the place.

When they arrived, Kai helped Taemin sit on a log near the fire. Baekhyun was cooking lunch at that time and he approached and greeted the western wolf. Soon Chanyeol and Suho joined, both surprised by the unexpected visit.

Taemin said his pack members were sick, but refused to tell them anything before the others arrived. The brown wolves sensed something really bad had happened and, since Taemin said there were sick wolves, Suho was quick to send Chanyeol after Lay.

It took some good minutes for the other west wolves to get there and, when they did, Suho and Baekhyun had already prepared meat and brought clean water for them to drink. The visitors approached, Onew and Sehun helping to carry Minho while Kyungsoo and Key helped Jonghyun to walk. They were both really pale and frail looking, and Suho arranged some leaves on the floor to better accommodate them.

-Please eat as much as you want, I’ll bring more meat. – Baekhyun offered and they thanked the man.

Sehun had brought some ingredients he found on the way and started to make a soup for Jonghun and Luhan. Meanwhile, Suho served the other wolves food. When Sehun said he would go and feed his baby, the western wolves frowned. How did the brown wolf have a baby, if they were infertile?

-Sehun had a baby with a wolf from the white pack. – Suho explained. - You should come and check on it. He’s the cutest thing around.

-I don’t think we should be around any pups in ou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter