Chapter 8

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

“Pfthhahahahahhaha!” I laughed out loud at her possessiveness.

 

“What’s so funny?” She was slightly flustered as my reaction was not what she expected. “I saw the way you looked at her this afternoon!”

 

I stopped laughing and sighed. I would be lying if I were to say I wasn’t looking at Taeyeon that way.

 

Would it be weird to say that she reminds me of my Taeyeon? Technically, she is Taeyeon.

 

I chuckled at my similar choice of possessive pronoun on Taeyeon while Tiffany was glaring at me weirdly.

 

“I love Taeyeon.” I stated bluntly and I felt a wave of relief as the words came out of my mouth. There was a period of time when I was conflicted with the use of “like” versus “love” on a friend, until I realized she wasn’t just a friend to me. Although I have sorted out my feelings later, I was still not able to bring myself to put “love” and “Taeyeon” in the same sentence, not when it reminded me of how Taeyeon left. It was like a trigger to unwanted memories of that fateful day. Jessica may or may not have figured out based on how I acted but I managed to avoid all conversations about Taeyeon since that day.

 

My Taeyeon, I meant.” I added and she remained dumbfounded as she stared at me blankly.

 

“And I know this TaeTae is not mine.” I continued as a direct reply to her territorial remark. “Besides, I feel slightly... I don’t know… ic to look at her so lovingly. You know she looks younger than her actual age and me seeing her younger self isn’t helping.”

 

She finally let out a smile but was quickly replaced by a frown.

 

“Why is your TaeTae is still your best friend then?” she asked, all confused.

 

I felt a slight tugged on my heart at her question.

 

Should I tell her what happened to Taeyeon?

 

I faked a smile and shook my head. It was not a topic which I wished to talk about.

 

“That’s why I am here. To help you change that.” I answered, totally avoided talking about my Taeyeon.

 

And this time, her smile went to her eyes as she felt relieved with my reassurance of my intentions.

 

“So, for real, how did your study session go?” I finally got to ask after our mini confrontation. I couldn’t wait to find out what that Jessica was up to.

 

“For real, it’s fine.” She said nonchalantly.

 

“Except that one thing.” She added as something came to her mind. “What did you say to Jessica this afternoon? She was being all clingy to me just now.”

 

Hmmm… So she’s going old school huh? Nothing exciting about inciting jealously but who cares? As long as it works.

 

“I told her you like Taeyeon but I wasn’t sure if Taeyeon felt the same.” I replied honestly. “Guess she’s trying to make Taeyeon jealous.”

 

“Oh. She could have told me.” She shrugged.

 

-

 

“And that is the answer for question 5…” the teacher’s voice droned on as I stared at my pen as if it was the most interesting item I have ever seen.

 

Now, you may be wondering what I am doing in a class.

 

After that eventful day of meeting my mum and Taeyeon, the rest of the week was rather unproductive based on what Tiffany relays to me about Taeyeon’s reactions to everything. Tiffany was pretty upset with Taeyeon’s actions or lack thereof while I was disappointed. Nonetheless, I was far from being disheartened. After all, Taeyeon is still alive and kicking, though we probably have to come up with a brand new plan.

 

To cheer up the upset girl, I offered to go to school in her stead for a day. I mean, it was a dream come true, wasn’t it? I don’t know about others but I always wished for a clone to go to school for me.  So, here I am, sitting through her classes while admiring my amazing pen.

 

After what seemed like eternity, the bell went off and my torture finally ended as the classes were as boring as I remembered them to be.

 

“Hey, shall we have lunch together?” Jessica asked as she came towards me.

 

I nodded my head as I slowly packed up my stuff.

 

Seeing that we were the last ones left in the room, she quickly stood next to me and hastily said, “Taeyeon seems unresponsive to whatever we are doing. Should we up it a notch?”

 

Before I could process what she just said, she pulled me into a hug.

 

“Stay still and just go with it. I asked Taeyeon to come after class and she should be here any minute.” She whispered into my ear.

 

Right on cue, I heard the door opened. Jessica released me from the hug and the next thing I knew, she crashed her lips onto mine. My eyes widen in shock as I heard the sound of books dropping.

 

-

 

What in the world?! I thought as I pushed Jessica away and saw her smirk.

 

However, her smirk disappeared the moment she saw the person standing at the door. Confused with her change of sudden expression, I turned my head to the door.

 

Oh. Yuri. Wrong target.

 

Just then, Taeyeon walked in and asked, “What’s going on? Yuri?”

 

“She… They… How could you do this to me?” Yuri asked as her eyes started to tear up.

 

“It’s not what you think!” I quickly explained but was interrupted by Jessica.

 

“There’s no need to explain. Why do you care anyway?” Jessica shrugged, leaving all three of us dumbfounded.

 

“Because I like you, Jessica!” Yuri blurted out, sounded hurt and ran off.

 

What a turn of events. I thought as we stayed in our positions, all surprised with the sudden confession.

 

Without warning, Jessica took off after Yuri, leaving me and Taeyeon still lost.

 

“What just happened?” Taeyeon asked as she walked towards me.

 

“I don’t know.” I avoided the question as I didn’t want to explain that kiss.

 

“Let’s go find them.”

 

-

 

We split up to make the search more efficient. As it was after school, most classrooms were already empty. After what seemed like a futile search, I found Taeyeon frozen yet again, at a door.

 

“Why… Oh.” I was about to ask what she was doing when I saw what made her froze.

 

Jessica was straddling Yuri in an empty classroom while they proceeded to each other’s face out.

 

Yuri and Jessica were making out in a classroom.

 

Yuri and Jessica.

 

Making out.

 

Despite being immune to their blatant public display of affection after years of experience, I was still stupefied by how they could be shouting at each other one moment and making out the next.

 

Aish, what’s with this world and fast forwarding? Everything is like at 10x speed. I thought as I dragged Taeyeon away from the room.

 

It wasn’t until we have reached the school backyard before I stopped.

 

“Sorry you have to see that.” I apologized as I saw her still frozen in thought.

 

Upon hearing me, she chuckled, “Why are you apologizing for them?”

 

I smiled as I shook my head. We took a sit at the bench as we enjoyed the afternoon breeze. There was a moment of silence as I wasn’t sure how I should be acting in front of this Taeyeon. However, the silence was nothing awkward, just comfortable.

 

Peace and calm.

 

That’s what she always made me felt.

 

You are here.

 

Right here.

 

With me.

 

I thought as I watched her fiddling with her fingers.

 

Taeyeon-ah, do you feel the same as I do?

 

Perhaps I do have selfish intentions with her.

 

I need know.

 

“Are you okay with such relationship?” she suddenly asked.

 

Why is everyone asking me the same question?

 

“Yeah, why?” I asked back and met her eyes.

 

Her eyes, I always get lost in her eyes.

 

“I was thinking, erm… I… Aish, why is this so hard to say…” she mumbled as I watched on.

 

She’s so adorable when she is frustrated.

 

“Can you promise me that you will not be angry with me after this?”

 

Her porcelain skin, she never grows old, does she?

 

I nodded, still lost in my own feelings for the girl.

 

“All this time when you were with Jessica, I felt something new…”

 

Oh, so it did work!

 

“I wasn’t sure about it until today…”

 

Wait, it worked. So where’s she going with this?

 

“The thing is, Fany-ah, I think I am…”

 

“HOLD IT!” I interrupted as I realized what she was trying to say. “I mean, hold that thought!”

 

Wrong Tiffany! Wrong Tiffany! Wrong Tiffany!!!! My mind screamed as I desperately think of ways to get around this.

 

“I mean can you tell me again next time?” I asked hesitantly as I saw her teary eyes.

 

“I understand…” she whispered as she looked down and away from me.

 

“No, you don’t understand!” I exclaimed as she was definitely getting the wrong idea.

 

“Yes, I do.” She shouted back, sounded a little angry this time as she stood up.

 

. . .

 

“Just leave me alone.”

 

With that, she ran off without looking back.

 

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

 

-

 

A/N:

Oops, I meant to update yesterday but I got distracted by another fan-fic. Lol.

And thank you all so much for liking and supporting this!

Nah, I am not that evil to make Taeyeon like "Michelle". Or so I thought until I saw how I ended this chapter. Hahahahaha...

Anyway, I do read all comments but I wouldn't be able to answer some questions to avoid spoiling the story.

In any case, thanks again for subscribing and commenting! <3