Chapter 5

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

Okay, I swear this is definitely not time travelling. I thought as I looked at the swooning girl in front of me.

 

Is she serious? She only met her today!

 

Part of me couldn’t comprehend the concept of love at first sight for it took me forever to sort out my own feelings. Perhaps it was due to our differences in upbringing. My dad was an uptight person and same goes to my siblings. We don’t express our feelings well, even in front of close family. I guessed my mum had a softer approach when it comes to family bonding.

 

“You know TaeTae too, right? What’s the relationship between you two?” she asked eagerly.

 

“Yeah, we are best friends.” I said and regretted as I saw her face fell.

 

“That’s it? That’s all we are going to be?” she asked, sounded a little hurt.

 

I was lost for answers for I have asked myself the same question repeatedly. Not wanting to fail myself again, I took a deep breath and said, “No. I will help you get her.”

 

Upon hearing my answer, she beamed immediately and skipped around the house.

 

Was I that bubbly? Or have I changed through the years? Or when she… died?

 

“So, tell me more about your TaeTae!” she skipped in front of me and sat on the floor.

 

“She loves dukong, vanilla ice cream and has a for butts!” I replied with a chuckle as I thought of that specific byun girl.

 

“Awwww she’s so cute, right?!” she squealed. “I don’t know why but my heart pounded so hard when I first saw her.”

 

Suddenly, her facial expression changed as she held her right hand over her chest.

 

“This… is love right?”

 

Uhoh. I can see where this is going. Self doubt. Fear. Denial. Ignorance.

 

Could I have known my love for Taeyeon all this while and chose to ignore it?

 

My heart clenched at that thought. No way in hell was I going to let that happen again.

 

“How do you feel when you are with her?” I asked.

 

“We had a long chat over lunch today.” She said after thinking for a moment. “I felt like we have known each other for a long time already.”

 

After a short pause, she continued, “There was this one moment when she leaned a little close to me and my heart raced so fast that I couldn’t think properly.”

 

She blushed and looked down as she thought about it.

 

“Do you feel the same with others?” I probed further.

 

She held her chin and thought about my question seriously. It didn’t take long before she looked up and smiled brightly at me. She must have got where I was going with these questions. Although I still have my doubts about her falling in love, I was sure that she liked the other girl more than just a friend.

 

“So… How am I going to get her?”

 

Wow. She is driven.

 

For a moment, I thought about making her bend down to get a pen or bend forward in front of the byun girl and the deal should be done in approximately… 3 seconds.

 

Ugh. No. Just no. She is only 16 and she is me! Flaunting her assets to get attention is just… no.

 

“Why not I join you for lunch in school tomorrow and meet her? Then we will figure it out together, I suppose?”

 

-

 

That should do it. I thought as I put on a pair of thick bookworm glasses, a face mask and a baseball cap.

 

My high school still looked the same as I walked down the corridors. Classes were still in session but students will be pouring out in soon. True enough, the bells went off and the corridors were flooded with people. It wasn’t long before I spotted myself strolling along the hallways towards to the dining hall but that was not what caught my eyes.

 

Right behind her, there was another girl executing some ninja moves as she made her way to the oblivious girl. She was tiptoeing through the crowd, peeping over others’ shoulders, fake-shoelace tying and sticking to the wall like Spiderman. I swear at some point, she was leopard-crawling on the ground when I lost her in the crowds. Or just that she was too short for me to see her.

 

I must have looked stupid yesterday morning. I thought as I watched on.

 

Oh my, she is not doing what I think she's gonna to do…

 

My eyes widen as I heard a shriek.

 

Yup. She totally d her . Some things never change, huh?

 

-

 

Flashback

 

“YAH! KIM TAEYEON!” I whacked her on her shoulders as she cringed away from me. “I hate you.”

 

“And I love you too!” she dorkily replied.

 

“What’s with you and my ?”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because that’s not normal friends do!” I exclaimed and saw her face fell.

 

“But I love your !” she whined like a kid whose sweet was taken away from her.

 

I felt my face heat up as she said that. How cute can one get?

 

“Awwww, my mushroom is shy!” she continued to tease me.

 

“Yah, stop calling me that!”

 

“What’s wrong with me giving my best friend a nickname?” she asked.

 

I felt my heart squeezed upon hearing her. I frowned at the familiar yet unknown feeling.

 

Weird.

 

“Or would you rather I call you by your Korean name?”

 

Aish, this girl never stops.

 

Arms akimbo, I acted as if I was getting angry.

 

“Don’t be angry, I just like teasing you because your reactions are soooo cute!” she said as she leaned towards me.

 

“I got to go now and I know you are not angry. See you later, Miyoung-ah!” she gave me a peck on the cheek and ran off.

 

A smile crept up my face as I touched the spot where she kissed me.

 

Aish, why am I so weak against her?

 

-

 

Taeyeon-ah, I miss you. I thought as I continued to watch the childish teasing unfold between the two girls.

 

It was as if they were in their own world. Now that I looked at them from a third person’s point of view, I realized how funny the interactions between them were.

 

Were we like this too, Taeyeon-ah?

 

I felt a tingling feeling as I thought about the memories we shared. It was as if she was standing right next to me.

 

After she passed away, I was too caught up with the fact that she wasn’t around anymore. By coming to this dimension, it was as though I was reliving our memories, right from the start when we met. While I am still burden by her death, I felt somewhat happy as I was reminded of the bond we used to share.

 

“What are you thinking about? I see you standing here for quite some time already.” a familiar voice interrupted my train of thoughts.

 

Déjà vu.

 

I looked to my side and froze.

 

“Tiff? What’s with all that getup?” she asked worriedly.

 

Jessica.

 

Oh .

 

-

 

A/N:

Oh, an interesting question you have there, Derpy123! I actually googled the difference between parallel dimensions and alternate universes.

Mind. Blown.

I guess I am going to take it that they are the same thing as differentiating them is hella confusing.

And.. about the infinite possibilities... Evil grin.

Hmm, will things be as simple as it seems? I can't tell you that, yet. hahahahaa...

My dear readers, hope this chapter explains some of your questions. While I have the general plot thought out, the details are not final and I am writing as it goes so keep the comments coming in!