Chapter 4

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

“Who gives assignments on the first day of school and tests on the first week of school?” she grumbled the moment she entered from the front door. She swung her bag onto the floor and fell face down onto the couch.

 

“AAAGGGHHH!”

 

Luckily I have graduated from high school already.

 

I smirked as I took another sip of my coffee. However, my gloating thoughts were quickly replaced by my university schedule.

 

Ugh.

 

“So, how did this happen?” she asked as she turned her face towards me.   

 

“Me or school?” I asked her back cheekily, not wanting to miss the chance of teasing myself.

 

She squinted her eyes and pouted. I couldn’t help but chuckled as it was kind of amusing to see myself do that. Interestingly, we have gotten comfortable with each other over such a short period of time. I guessed we have come to realize that we are almost practically the same person despite being separate individuals, however odd that may sound.  

 

“Before we go into that, shouldn’t we go to our room just in case anyone comes back?” I asked as I made my way into the kitchen and washed up my cup.

 

“It’s alright. Leo is staying at his dorm while Michelle is away on exchange.” She explained the whereabouts of our siblings.

 

“What about Dad?” I dried the cup and placed it on the edge of the countertop.

 

There was a moment of silence and I looked up to see why she wasn’t replying. She sat straight up, brows furrowed and there was something in her eyes.

 

Sadness.

 

“He died in a car accident when I was young. I thought you would have known this.” She stated plainly. “And mum is away for a business trip. She won’t be back till a couple of days later.”

 

My mind went blank as I absorbed the new information. The side of my arm hit the cup that I just placed on the counter and I gasped in expectation of the dramatic sound of broken glass.

 

Nothing.

 

I took a glance at the cup which was still sitting safely at the edge of the counter. I sighed in relief but frowned at the sight of the flower vase next to the cup.

 

The revelation explained the slight differences in the house – there was a tinge of feminine touch to the place, ranging from the beige paint, the flower vases to that flowery bed sheet in the master bedroom.

 

“I am sorry, my mum passed away when I was young and dad took care of us since then.” I said softly.

 

“Oh. I am sorry.” She muttered and there was another minute of silence.

 

Not wanting to make her feel bad, I quickly changed the subject and took out the pink pocket watch.

 

“This is what brought me here.” I explained as I placed the watch into her hands.  I continued to describe the weird shop, the rules to travelling and the events that brought me here, except the part about Taeyeon.  

 

“So, what do you want to help me with, while you are here?” she probed as she fiddled with the watch.

 

I hesitated as I thought about what to say.

 

“Your love life.” I answered as ambiguously as possible.

 

To my surprise, she beamed at my answer and moved closer to me.

 

“Really?!” she exclaimed as she grabbed my hand and I smiled in response.

 

She looked like she already has a crush in mind.

 

“You know, it wasn’t that bad at school today.”  

 

Puppy love. How good it would be to be young again.

 

“I met someone new in class. She is sooooo cute!”

 

She should have met Taeyeon already.

 

“Her name is Taeyeon and I have already thought of a nickname for her. TaeTae! ”

 

TaeTae. We are the same, aren’t we?  I smiled even wider at the thought of the secret name I gave my bestfriend.

 

This is getting easy, all I have to do is to whack some sense into her and make her realize her feelings are more than just a best friend. Confess. Get together. A job well done. I grinned as I mentally gave myself a pat on the back.

 

“I think I am in love with her.”

 

Now, just how am I going to make her realize it without being too pushy. The last thing I want to do is to screw this up and … wait.

 

“What… what did you just say?!”

 

 

A/N:

A short update.

Ohohohoho, parallel dimensions, just how different are we?