Chapter 31

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

I was quite surprised at the generous space a dormitory could offer. It was a two bedroom apartment, well, the kitchen was practically part of the living room and there was only one bathroom. But there was enough privacy if you have something to hide from your roommate, which in this case, me, an anomaly in this universe with dual existence.

 

Eyeing the three doors, one of which I already assumed is the bathroom. It wasn’t hard to figure out which is the bathroom. Apparently, the other two rooms had room signs. However, I was a little confused the customized room signs, one had ‘ Alert’ and the other ‘Pea Alert’ written on them.

 

It was probably an inside joke for them but to my understanding, both descriptions seemed to apply to Taeyeon. So which is my room?

 

Narrowing my eyes at the door that read ‘  Alert’, I reached for the other door.

 

Brows furrowed, I searched the room for any living existence from where I stood but it was empty. The sheets were nicely folded. I went in and checked under the bed to make sure.

 

She was drunk after all, or so I have heard.

 

That was weird. I thought to myself, silently eyeing the bathroom.

 

Or not. I stared at the other room.

 

Oh whatever. I rolled my eyes and opened the door. On the bed against the wall lies an unknown being sprawled flat on her face with her legs still hanging off the side of the bed, possibly hindered by the load of clothes at the end of the bed. She was still wearing one of her heels, the other already kicked off under the bed.

 

Hmmm.

 

I doubled back to take another look at the sign.

 

Double hmmm.

 

Just as I wondered what to make of the sign, I heard a huff and some shuffling.

 

“Tae..Tae?”

 

“No, Tiffany.” I deadpanned.

 

She pushed herself up and squinted her eyes to take a clearer look at me.

 

Here we go again. I quickly covered my ears and embraced myself for an impending scream.

 

There was a two second pause before I saw the eyes of recognition and confusion. And then she fell back into bed, eyes closed.

 

What the… That was anticlimactic.

 

With a sigh, I made my way to the bed and shook her shoulders.

 

“Hey, wake up.”

 

“Wha.. What?” She slugged, eyes barely opened.

 

Another shift and a tilt of the head.

 

I barely made out the curse she muttered before I cursed back as I felt a sharp pain on my shin. She freaking kicked me as she scrambled and backed away to the wall.

 

With the leg still wearing that pair of killer heels.

 

“YAH!” I hold my shin.

 

“YOU!” She hold her pillow.

 

However, the hostility in her eyes quickly dissipated.

 

“I must be still drunk.” She said to herself before closing her eyes again.

 

“YAH!” I threw whatever that was within reach at her, which so happened to be the other killer heel to the one she was still wearing. I swear I wasn’t holding a grudge. I just wanted to keep her awake.

 

And there went the scream.

 

-

 

“Oh.”

 

That was all Tiffany said after I explained my dimension travelling situation, deliberately leaving out the part about Taeyeon. I had to know what is going here first.

 

“So… What’s the deal with Taeyeon?” I asked, not sure how to approach the subject.

 

“Huh? She’s my roommate. Why?” She asked back.

 

“Do you perhaps… like her?”

 

“Wha… No! Huh? Where is this going?” She narrowed her eyes.

 

“Then what’s with all this partying?” I stared back.

 

“Wha… huh? What has that got to do with Taeyeon?”

 

“I don’t know, you tell me.”

 

“I just figured my student life is going to be over before I know it and I might as well make good use of it.” She shrugged.  

 

“So, this has nothing to do with Taeyeon?” I questioned.

 

“Of course not!” She denied vehemently.

 

I took a moment to look for any signs of lying. She stared back.

 

“What’s with your door sign?” I changed the subject since I was getting nowhere.

 

“Oh that!” She laughed. “Taeyeon caught me watching once and that impression kind of stuck on.”

 

“…”

 

“Hey, in my defense, it was only that once, okay!”

 

I narrowed my eyes at her.

 

“Fine, she caught me kissing a couple of girls on our first year.”

 

Something tells me she wasn’t telling me everything.

 

“What? I was coping with my uality, alright!” Tiffany exclaimed.

 

“I didn’t say anything.” I said calmly.

 

“Turns out all of them are dating each other.” Tiffany chuckled sadly.

 

“So when did all this started?”

 

“What’s with all this questioning?”

 

“Just answer the question.”

 

“Gosh, you are insufferable.”

 

“I am you.”

 

“GAHHHHH!”

 

“I am waiting.”

 

“You have got to be kidding me.”

 

“I have all the time, I am stuck here for a while.” I lied, knowing very well I could leave anytime.

 

And then she threw her hands in surrender.

 

“Fine, kissing girls or partying?”

 

“Both.”

 

“A year ago and then three months ago.”

 

Hmmm, I wonder.

 

“When did Taeyeon start dating Sunny?” I asked.

 

“Thre… Hey! No fair! So what they started dating three months ago?”

 

“Why are you so defensive?”

 

“…”

 

Silence meant I won. I always win. Even against myself. Oh, the irony.

 

“That was just a coincidence.” She whispered.  I could barely hear her.

 

“Yeah, keep lying to yourself.” I rolled my eyes, there was something about this Tiffany that wears my patience thin. Or the fact I felt this universe is totally messing with me.

 

“Fine, I was coping with liking Taeyeon and then the fact that she was dating someone else after I sort of my feelings!” She yelled at me.

 

I was stupefied. Not at her confession but at the similarly stunned person at the door. I should at least learn how to lock the front door.

 

And then I wondered, what was more of a shock, me or the confession?

 

Oh crap.

 

-

 

A/N:

Uhoh, who's at the door?

Okay, I admit, I may still hold a grudge subconsciously. I realised I barely used Tiffany's name in this chapter when I reread it and had to add it in later. And the seemingly impatient first person Tiffany against the third person Tiffany.