Chapter 24

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

“Tiffany?!” Taeyeon gasped. “But… what… how?

 

Tiffany couldn’t help but laugh at the confused Taeyeon. Before she could explain further, JiWoong’s head popped out of the front door and urged them to go in.

 

Instinctively, Tiffany grabbed the stunned Taeyeon and went into the house.

 

“Hello! I wanted to meet you but that annoying kid of mine just kept putting it off.” Taeyeon’s mum welcomed Tiffany with a warm hug but teased Taeyeon.

 

“Hi Aunty Kim, I am sorry but it’s my fault, I have been too busy.” Tiffany gave an apologetic smile.

 

“That’s fine, what matters is that you are here now!” Aunty Kim smiled brightly. “TaeTae, stop spacing out and show your girlfriend around!”

 

The stupefied Taeyeon finally snapped out of her trance and pulled Tiffany into her old room. Tiffany nodded meekly at Aunty Kim before allowing herself to be pulled along by Taeyeon.

 

“These kids…” Aunty Kim sighed.

-

The moment Tiffany entered her room, Taeyeon quickly closed the door and locked it.

 

“What is going on?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Aren’t you happy that I am here?” Tiffany asked back, feeling a little disappointed that T didn’t seemed happy about the switch.

 

“It’s not that but….” Taeyeon didn’t know what to make of the situation. She was still feeling the remnants of the anger she felt when Tiffany accused her of cheating just a few days ago and suddenly, Tiffany turns up and acted as if nothing happened. On the other hand, she can’t help but feel happy that her girlfriend is with her in person, instead of the initial plan of getting Stephanie to impersonate her. “How do I know it’s really you? You both really look alike.”

 

Tiffany sighed and held up her hand to show Taeyeon the ring she had on her finger. It was their couple ring that Taeyeon bought for them in celebration of their 100 days together.

 

“Are you going to ask if the ring is real?” Tiffany asked when she saw the hesitant look on Taeyeon’s face.

 

“What happened to Stephanie?” Taeyeon asked, suddenly remembering the other girl and avoided Tiffany’s question.

 

“I am here with you and you ask about her?” Tiffany said harshly but immediately regretted it. She knew she made a mistake of accusing Taeyeon of cheating and now her useless jealousy is acting up again. “Sorry, didn’t mean to raise my voice. She’s replacing for a shoot today. You can ask her on the phone if you want.”

 

Taeyeon was taken aback but the outburst and even more when Tiffany apologized. She can’t help but doubt the identity of the girl in front of her further as it was merely a few days ago that Tiffany accused her of cheating. It was weird for Taeyeon to have Tiffany apologizing a few days later when Taeyeon did nothing to explain everything. However, Taeyeon’s stance softens when she saw the slightly hurt Tiffany.

 

“I assume she has your phone?” Taeyeon asked anyway, wanting to make absolutely sure that this was her Tiffany to avoid any misunderstandings.

 

Tiffany nodded and looked away, not knowing Taeyeon’s intentions.

 

-

 

“Hello?”

 

“Stephanie?”

 

“No, this is Tiffany. What do you want Taeyeon?”

 

“…”

 

“Oh come on, I was just messing with you. Of course I am Stephanie.” I laughed. “Didn’t Tiffany tell you that already?”

 

“Oh. Yes, erm, are you sure you are Stephanie?” Taeyeon asked meekly.

 

“Are you sure you are Taeyeon?” I asked back. “Look, what kind of girlfriend would let someone else pretend to be her and be with her girlfriend?”

 

“Right.” Taeyeon replied curtly and seemingly in deep thoughts.

“Of course I am right. And one thing Taeyeon, talk. No matter how weird it feels, make an effort to start talking. I would be very happy to help with what you guys should talk about if I am not nervous as hell for the shoot. I mean, I have never ever done something like this before. Can you put Tiffany on the phone? Because I am pretty sure I will screw this up…” I blabbered on, totally digressed from the topic.

 

“Thanks Stephanie.”

 

The line went dead.

 

“YAH!” I shouted into the phone.

 

Seriously?!

 

What have I got myself into?

 

I am so dead.

 

-

 

“So?” Tiffany asked as Taeyeon put down the phone.

 

Uhoh. Taeyeon thought as she saw hurt in Tiffany’s eyes. Tides have turned and this time, it was Taeyeon who didn’t trust Tiffany.

 

Taeyeon sighed as she walked towards Tiffany and sat beside her.

“I am sorry.” Taeyeon whispered.

“It’s okay.” Tiffany replied but she was punching the peas on Taeyeon’s bed.

 

Ouch. I am sorry, peas.

 

There was an awkward silence that followed. Neither was sure what to say.

 

What happened to us, Taeyeon-ah?

 

When did we stopped talking, Fany-ah?

 

-

 

After Taeyeon excused herself to help out in the kitchen, Tiffany was left alone in Taeyeon's room. Although it was odd for the guest to be left to fend for herself, Tiffany felt rather relieved that she didn’t have to deal with the awkward silence between them.

 

She let out a sigh for the umpteenth time as she wondered what went wrong. Was it because they didn’t spend much time together due to her busy schedule? Was it her jealous and possessive side that suffocated the relationship? Or was it just that Taeyeon don’t love her anymore? The truth is, Tiffany wasn’t sure and hell, she hoped it wasn’t the latter.

 

Frustrated at her predicament, Tiffany dialed the one number she never thought she would ever do.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey, it’s me.” Tiffany let out another sigh.

 

“What’s up? Taeyeon called earlier and she freaking hang up on me!” I shouted into the phone. “Really, I am freaking out.”

 

“Oh.” Tiffany replied lethargically, before blurting out what’s on her mind. “I don’t know how to fix this. Why is everything so complicated?”

 

I paused for a moment as she somehow reminded me of myself when my Taeyeon passed away.

 

“My Taeyeon died.” I said suddenly.

 

“What?!” Tiffany exclaimed.

 

“You heard me.” I replied coldly. “I never had my chance with her, you know.”

 

“…”

 

“She died on the day I planned to confess.” I let out a bitter laugh.

 

“Tiffany…” She called me softly.

 

“But that’s not my point.” I said, feeling determined to set things straight. “I always brushed off things with the excuse of them being too complicated. You know, just let things be, thinking that they will fall together eventually. But it didn’t. In fact, it fell apart.”

 

“Till now, I can’t help but wonder if it was my fault that Taeyeon was there at the wrong place at the wrong time.” I continued. “Perhaps if I gotten my together earlier, things might have been different. So my question to you is, do you still want Taeyeon in your life?”

 

“Yes.” I smiled at the lack of hesitation.

 

“Then make it happen. Don’t leave it be. Love is a verb, conveying an action so do something.” I frowned as I thought of how I never practiced what I preach.

 

“I love her.” That was her only reply and I smiled at that.

 

“Oh, before I go, don’t worry about the shoot.” Tiffany suddenly added. “The theme kinda suits you, so you will do just fine.”

 

“Huh? What’s the theme?” I asked.

 

“Erm, ‘Awkward’?” She hanged up before I could react to that.

 

“YAH!” I yelled at the phone anyway.

 

These ungrateful brats.

 

-

 

A/N:

I am so sorry for disappearing for 2 weeks.

I jumped in front of a car to save the love of my life.

Okay, that totally didn't happen.

Just plain old boring life that got a little too overwhelmingly busy that I couldn't simply sit down and stare at the blank Word document. So I thought I could wait till inspiration hits me and I can spend less time to produce efficient results.

However, as you infer from my disappearance, that didn't happen either.

Anyway, sorry about that if you were waiting patiently for an update and thanks for your patience.

Okay, moving on to update my another fic.