Chapter 12

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

“Are you sure about this?” she asked as she tried to pull her dress down a little, only to pull it back up.

 

“Yes yes. And stop adjusting your dress.” I rolled my eyes as I pulled her hands off herself.

 

She immediately retracted her hands to cover her chest.

 

“But I never wear this as its own!” she exclaimed. “I always wear tights and a blazer with it! This is seriously too exposing!! And I feel totally without my glasses!”

 

“You look amazing, dear! And you should see fine with the contacts.” I tried to assure her. “So stop worrying and let’s go in.”

 

It felt like Universe Number 10 all over again. Here I was, pulling the other Tiffany to meet Taeyeon while she kept resisting me attempts to get into the restaurant. Nonetheless, I was feeling alright about it, considering how things at universe number 10 ended up.

 

“Wait, wait! My horoscope said I shouldn’t be doing anything drastic today!” She tried to reason with me. “And the stars! There was only freaking two stars today for love! That’s like not even a passing grade!”

 

“Well, technically we have the same horoscope and guess what? I did some dimension travelling today and look! I am still in one piece.” I countered as I rolled my eyes. “Stop being superstitious!”

 

With that, I gave her a push into the restaurant.

 

-

 

I took a seat across her table which is close enough to hear their conversations but far enough to avoid detection. Taeyeon had not arrived yet and Tiffany was still fidgeting with her dress.

 

“Stop fidgeting!” I mouthed to her when she looked up. She nodded as she gave me an awkward smile.

 

Just then, a familiar figure came in through the main door and was popping her head up and down in search of someone.

 

I smiled at the sight as she scanned through the restaurant. She was the same as I remembered.  My heart skipped a beat when I saw that she was about to look in my direction, in anticipation of eye contact.

 

Oh crap. I thought as I realized that I have removed my disguise to avoid being suspicious in the restaurant. I quickly scrambled for the menu to hide my face which I feared would be too late. In that split second, a waitress came in front of me and completely blocked me from Taeyeon’s line of sight.

 

“May I take you order now?” the waitress asked politely.

 

Thank god. I thought as I peeped over her to check if I have been spotted, which thankfully, I was not. Taeyeon was already walking towards the other Tiffany’s table.

 

I let out a sigh of relief as I took a quick look at the menu and made my order.

 

“Can I hold onto this?” I asked without removing my eyes from the two at the next table as the waitress reached out for the menu.

 

“Yes, sure.” She replied cheerfully. “Your order will be served shortly.”

 

Just in case. I thought as I continued to observe their interaction. Taeyeon was sitting across Tiffany with her back facing me. I sat at an angle where I could see Taeyeon from her side but not within her line of view.

 

“Wow! You look differently today!” Taeyeon commented as she checked out the other Tiffany.

 

“Why? Do I look weird?” Tiffany asked worriedly as she started to fumble with her dress again.

 

“What? No!” Taeyeon quickly replied. “In fact, you look… beautiful today.” She finished with a smile as she rubbed her neck shyly.

 

Tiffany blushed in response and looked away. “Th… Thanks…”

 

I gave myself a pat in the back, being proud of my creation.

 

Just as she looked away from Taeyeon, our eyes met and I gave her the signal to confess by moving my head towards Taeyeon’s direction. She seemed to have gotten my message and started to approach the subject.

 

“Erm, Taeyeon… I have something important to tell you.” She said hesitantly.

 

“Oh, what is it?” Taeyeon responded as she looked at the menu intently.

 

After a few seconds of silence, Taeyeon looked up from the menu to see what Tiffany wanted to say but Tiffany merely froze.

 

“Erm, erm… Let’s talk about it after dinner.” She finally pushed out something out of . “You looked hungry, TaeTae.”

 

Taeyeon nodded and gave her a reassuring smile.

 

-

 

The dinner was rather informative, at least from my point of view. To others, it seemed to be filled with boring regurgitation of day to day happenings but what makes a conversation truly interesting?

 

A thought provoking conversation?

A discussion of current affairs?

Something about last night’s highly rated drama with drool inducing lead?

 

In the end, it all came down to the person you are talking to. If you liked the person, you would probably find everything that he or she says the most interesting topic ever. You would want to know everything about him or her. What happened last week? Heck, what happened every day? Who did he or she met? Did he or she watch the same drama that you have? And then, you start to share about your own experiences.

 

It was interesting to know how Taeyeon’s days went. Even this Tiffany’s. From their conversation, I figured that Taeyeon was working as an events manager overseeing events ranging from conferences to concerts. Tiffany on the other hand, worked as in a laboratory.

 

Firstly, me, a scientist? I never understood why we need to know carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms with a –OH group somewhere gives us ethanol. I only cared about the liquid when I put it in my mouth to drown myself in sorrows.

 

And then, there’s physics. Hell, I hated physics. What was there again? Law of motion? Gravitational pull? Energy? That’s just random words I could pull together when I thought about physics. You don’t need a physicist to lecture you about gravitational pull to know that you ain’t supposed to jump out of a twenty storey building and expect to land gracefully. And the feeling that you can’t get out of bed in the morning? It ain’t gravitational pull or inertia. It’s just laziness. And you need that energy drink somewhere in the kitchen, commonly known as coffee.

 

So, I couldn’t help being bias and find Taeyeon’s job slightly more interesting. The idea of me in a totally different career path is amusing but what can beat meeting these prominent people who you only see on television like it was day to day business? They could be a pain though, according to Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon, oh Taeyeon.

 

My Taeyeon was in law school. She always has been good with words and people for that matter. So there was not much surprise with her doing what she was doing here. Although I did always about how she was going to convince the judge with her baby face, to which she would say she’s going to use her innocent face to her advantage.

 

Who would say no to that face?

 

Speaking of which, I found myself staring at Taeyeon yet again throughout the meal like a proud mother would. She was good in her job and seemed to have a lot of fun. Looking at her animatedly described her day made me felt like she was actually talking to me. Technically, she was, to anotherTiffany that is. I could not point out exactly what I was feeling. Perhaps conflicted. I just wanted the dinner to go on forever, with her at such close proximity but deep down I knew these were just illusions. Something that was right in front of me but I could never hold in my hands.

 

I let out a deep sigh as I took another sip from the glass of wine. The dinner was almost over and the much awaited moment would soon arrive. Just as the waitress cleared out their table for the coming desserts, Taeyeon brought back the subject mentioned earlier this evening.

 

“So, what’s the important thing you wanted to tell me?”

 

The gleeful Tiffany was immediately replaced with a panicky one. She avoided Taeyeon’s eyes and soon found her way to mine.

 

Go on. I thought as I gave her a reassuring nod again.

 

“Erm… I… I…” she started fiddling with her fingers.

 

“Mmhmm?” Taeyeon probed for her to continue.

 

“I… I am… I am…” She bravely looked up at Taeyeon for just a second before looking away again. “In love with…”

 

Here goes nothing. I held my breath.

.

.

.

“Jessica.”

 

-

 

A/N:

I have nothing against sciences cos that would be ironic. Though irony is present everywhere in our lives, who says a person of science can't believe in horoscopes?

Anyway, it is interesting to think about different career paths that you would never imagine yourself in. No harm day dreaming. In fact, I find day dreaming helpful to prime an open mind and come up with creative ideas. Not saying that I am creative. I just like day dreaming and that's probably my excuse to idle without feeling guilty.

Okay I should stop blabbering.

Oh and the last word in this chapter, it is not a typo. Lol.