Chapter 10

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

I stirred in agony as I slowly regained awareness of my surroundings.

 

Ugh, too bright.

 

I let my eyes adjust to the current lighting.

 

Blue room. Waist height drawer. Timber made closet. Bedside table. Photo frame.

 

Hmm, I am back at Taeyeon’s apartment.

 

However, there was no joy at this point of time. I guessed dimension travelling do has a downside. I felt a numbing migraine the moment I became conscious. And for that matter, the blinding light and the splitting headache do not go well with each other.

 

Buzz!

 

Ugh, not now. I groaned as I rubbed my temple to ease the splitting headache. I reluctantly got out of bed in search of my phone.

 

Where is that damn thing?!

 

By the time I located the phone within the mess of shopping bags, the caller had ended the call.

 

Wow. 78 missed calls and 186 new messages.

 

Before I could find out who has been diligently flooding my phone, the phone came back to live once again and in my surprise, I dropped the darn thing back into the mess.

 

In a hurry, I quickly picked up the call the moment I reacquired the phone without checking the caller ID.

 

“OH MY GOD! You picked up!” a familiar high pitch voice came through as I pulled the phone away. Her volume was not helping my headache.

 

“YAH! Where the hell have you been? I have calling you non-stop for two days now. Do you know how worried I was? Who knows how long you have been missing?! I thought I could leave you alone for a while after our rejuvenating shopping expedition, only to find you missing after a few days! How could you do this to me?! ” She instantly started to bombard me with questions.

 

“Slow down, Jess.” I finally got to say when she stopped for breath. “I am having a bad headache already and you are not helping.”

 

“Well, I DON’T CARE!!” she shouted into the phone. “Tell me where the hell you are right now!”

 

“Where else? I am at home.” I rolled my eyes.

 

“YOU STAY WHERE YOU ARE.” She demanded. “Don’t you dare move an inch. I am coming over right now.”

 

-

 

I popped two pills for the headache and proceeded to make my breakfast. Nothing seemed out of the norm although I just came back from dimension travelling. In fact, I felt a little detached and started to doubt if I really did went to another universe. However, I did not want to think otherwise, for the sake of my sanity and splitting headache.

 

Just as the headache seemed to subside, the pummeling of the door brought the pain back in an instant.

 

“YAH! Open up!”

 

Seriously. Did the poor door do something to her in its past life?

 

Like habit, I opened and left the door ajar before heading back to the couch to lie down and nurse the returned headache.

 

“Tiffany Hwang! You have quite an explanation to do!” she commanded as she stood arms akimbo next to me. “Where did you these past few days?”

 

“How long was I away?” I asked and regretted immediately.

 

“What? You don’t even know how long you were gone?” she asked worriedly. “If you left the day we went out together, that would be 5 days in total! So where have you been?”

 

Hmmm, I was there for more than a week but only 5 days have passed here. Guess the space-time correlation is too complicated.

 

“I went… travelling.” I answered as I continued to rub my temple to ease the pain.

 

That was true. Just missing some details. I thought as she glared at me skeptically.

 

“And why didn’t you answer your phone?” she probed.

 

Should I tell her the truth?

 

I decided against that. The last thing I need was to fuel my headache.

 

“I went to the countryside and there was no reception.” I stated plainly, avoiding her eyes. That was when I noticed her luggage.

 

“Why did you bring a luggage?” I asked curiously.

 

“I am staying here for the time being to watch over you.” She had already decided and it seemed that I had no way out of this.

 

She contemplated on questioning me further but seemed to relent when she saw the effects of my headache on me.

 

“Alright, I let you rest for now.” Her stance weakened and went to unpack.

 

Just as she left my line of sight, I took out the pocket watch and gazed at it.

 

Taeyeon-ah, let this be our own little secret for a while more, alright?

 

-

 

The next couple of days were a torture. Jessica was keeping a tight watch as if I would disappear into thin air without explanation.

 

Technically I could, but it would be hell the next time I come back.

 

Thankfully she had prior arrangements to work as an intern during the summer vacation and I behaved well during her watch.

 

“Jess, I am thinking of going to the countryside again for a breather.” I carefully said as I watched her expression.

 

“Are you going to be uncontactable again?” She frowned.

 

“I will try to drop you a message if possible?” I suggested, knowing I probably can’t but she wouldn’t know, would she?

 

“Fine.” She gave in. “I am just worried about you.”

 

“I will be fine.” I gave her a reassuring smile. “Will you be moving back today?”

 

“Yeah, I got Yuri to come get me already.”

 

-

 

After getting rid of sending off Jessica, I couldn’t wait to embark on my next voyage.

 

Though this time, I would be more prepared. I packed a few clothes including my mask and scarf, some cash and medicine. After checking everything was in order, I put on a pair of sunglasses and took out my travelling device.

 

“Should I go to 11 or pick a random number?” I asked no one in particular.

 

Like a sign, I looked up and saw the number magnets on the fridge had eleven in the middle.

 

“11 it is.” I said again to myself and turn the knob.

 

Click.

 

.

 

THUD.

 

“.” I let out an outright curse this time. Thanks to the sunglasses I had on, I could see that I landed right next to the living room couch although it still took a moment to fully recover from the bright light.

 

I made a mental note to cushion my the next time I travel as I pushed myself up to sit on the couch before surveying the place.

 

Hmm, my own apartment.

 

Instinctively, I reached out to the newspaper left on the coffee table and saw the date.

 

14 June 2015

 

-

 

A/N:

My bad, I will work on the endings more *Thinking hard*

Hmmm, I have already thought of a few final endings to this but of course I cant tell you the details. Lol.

Let's just say, have some faith... *Grin*

Yay~ To the future~~