Chapter 1

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

I stirred in my bed as I slowly gained consciousness from my deep slumber.

 

Ugh, too bright.

 

The curtains were half drawn, letting in the merciless bright light from the midday sun. I squinted my eyes as I absorbed the familiar sight around me.

 

Blue room. Waist height drawer. Timber made closet. Bedside table. Photo frame.

 

I frowned as I looked at the familiar faces staring back at me.

 

She looked beautiful. As always.

 

-

 

Flashback

 

2006

First day of school

 

R..

S..

T!

 

Ah there it is. Hmm, Class 1A huh?

 

I pushed through the crowd after I found what I was looking for and made my way to the homeroom.

 

The place was already bustling with chit chats and whatnot as I entered the classroom. I took a quick scan and found myself an empty seat next to the window.

 

It was a whole new environment and I wasn’t sure if it was excitement or anxiety that I was feeling. I was quite doubtful about being excited as the word implied happiness and anticipation.

 

Come on, who really likes going to school?  Though I must say, there are some perks to school, like lunch break, school holidays…

 

My silent monologue was cut short when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I instinctively turned around and was greeted with a smile which I found to love for the next 7 years.

 

“Hi, I am…”

 

-

 

I sighed as I shifted myself and snuggled into the pillow.

 

Orange flavored shampoo. Her scent.

 

That was enough to put back a smile.

 

I was about to drift back into oblivion when something jerked me abruptly into unwanted awareness.

 

“Open up! I know you are in there!” a familiar voice resonated through the apartment as she relentlessly pummeled on the poor door.

 

“Okay okay, I am coming!” I mumbled as I dragged myself out of bed and into the living room.

 

 Reluctantly, I unlocked the door and left it ajar as I waded back in and plopped myself comfortably onto the couch.

 

“That’s how you greet a guest?” she sighed as she let herself in.

 

“Mmm.”

 

“You know, you should be grateful that I woke up early just to check on you. “

 

I took a quick glance at her and then stared at the wall clock. 12.45pm.

 

“It’s considered early for me.” She stated plainly as if she knew what I was thinking.

 

Eyes closed, I moved my legs mindlessly as she came and sat on the vacated space.

 

“Are you serious about moving here? I mean, it feels wrong and not to mention, slightly creepy.” She said as she looked around the apartment.

 

“Creepy?” I asked as I opened one eye to observe her expression.

 

“Not the house. You.” She stared right back at me.

 

I closed my eyes and turned inwards facing the backrest of the couch to ignore the comment and avoid the impending conversation about… her.

 

“Yah! I am talking to you.” She shook my knees while reaching out for my shoulders and turned me towards her.

 

“Why don’t you go accompany your significant other half?” I said, desperately trying to change the subject.

 

“Oh crap.” That was all I heard as she sheepishly fished out her phone and punched in some numbers.

 

“I'll go wash up.” I whispered, expecting her to hear, as I made my way into the bathroom.

 

-

 

After giving a last refreshing splash to my face, I looked up and took a deep breath as I saw myself in the mirror.

 

My eyes... I look… fine. I thought as I let out a bitter smile. After months of crying my eyes out, I knew the socially acceptable period of grieving was over and had to move on.

 

But I can’t move on.

 

So, I moved here.

 

The apartment was exactly the same as she left it. I made sure of it. I used the same brand of everything she had and even changed my shampoo so that her pillows will smell the same. It was as if I was living her life, as her.

 

“Fine, maybe I am really creepy.” I admitted to myself as I exited the bathroom to the bedroom and found myself staring at her stuffed toys on the bed.

 

Maybe not exactly the same. She isn’t here.

 

-

 

Flashback

6 months ago.

 

“Okay, this is it. You have rehearsed for hours. You can do it.” I gave myself a little pep talk as I made some last adjustments to my attire.

 

11.15 am. , I am going to be late.

 

I cursed inwardly as I hastily put on my shoes and head out of my apartment.  Just as I stepped out of my apartment building, my eyes widen as I saw a familiar figure waiting at the steps.

 

Ugh, not now.

 

Not wanting to deal with him or be late, I quickly looked for an alternative exit but things just weren’t going my way. He turned around as I tried to stealthily make my way to the back exit and immediately came towards me.

 

“Hey…”

 

“Look, its over. We are over. I have to go.” I cut him short as I walked past him but he grabbed hold of my wrist.

 

“I just want to talk.” He whimpered softly.

 

My stance softened as I saw hurt in his eyes.  He was a great guy – good looks, good manners, everything one would look for in a relationship. Except he wasn’t her.

 

“I am really sorry but I told you I am in love with someone else when we broke up. I know you are good to me but we both know this is not going to work out. You deserve someone who truly loves you.”

 

His grip loosened as he stared on the ground. After a moment of silence, he pulled me into a hug and said sincerely, “I just hope you will be happy.”

 

Before I could say anything, he broke off the hug and walked off without looking back. I watched him leave as a pang of guilt hit me but I knew it was the right thing to do.

 

, I am so going to be late.

 

I made a quick dash to the park that we have arranged to meet and just as I was about to crossed the road, I heard a deafening bang down the street. It seemed like an accident had occur and people were starting to crowd round the site. Curiosity overtook me as I momentarily forgot about my date and joined the growing crowd. I looked over someone’s shoulder and saw a girl lying motionless on the ground.

 

“T…Tae... Taeyeon?!”

 

-

 

A/N

As you can tell, the whole story is going to be from Tiffany's POV.

And... I killed Taeyeon in the first chapter. Hmm, where the hell am I going with this...

No worries, as I said, the story is fictional and no one is hurt so no hard feelings huh?