Finaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

queues and trainers
idek what this is. some 8.8k (edit 140411: 9.2k) of awful word vomit. so it's finally here. athough, idk if it's fitting to be college!au or highschool!au. you judge. i wanted to abandon the idea altogether, but then i posted the forewords and let you guys wait, so then i thought okay fine. this served as another practice for me, even if it's not all that good. but the thing is half my writings have been serving as practice, rather than the real thing. like my analogy would be a pratice = training and the real thing is = quiz, so you see... almost all my writings are practices, but i guess that's fine too. now it's up to you if you still wanna read or not. i just idk i kind of lost the story midway, because school started and idk how to handle gaps at all. :( 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
queues and trainers
 
 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun hates queues, so he's rather surprised to find himself in one at the internet research center of his college. The changing, adding, and dropping of subjects apparently had to be done in this large cramped room with heads literally sticking everywhere—up, down, on the side, left, right, here, there, and everywhere! It's early in the morning when he finds out he's number one hundred and fifty at said queue and God have mercy!—the insole of his left shoe is sticking out like a sore thumb and it's talking too. Yeahp, slightly broken. He didn't know, okay. He was in a rush to even find the perfect pair of shoes—(it's not like he's gracing the runway, anyway)just because he wants to change schedules for his Philosophy classes that apparently is scheduled from 4:30 to 6:00 pm of Tuesday's and Thursday's of every week and because he honestly hates the 3-hour gaps (don't ask) for every other classes he has on those days as well. Moreover, he doesn't want coming home late.
 
Now, It's seven-thirteen and he's person 150.
 
The line hasn't even moved a bit.
 
A representative of the registration committee just announced that they'll only start taking people in at 8:30.
 
Great!
 
So when, pray tell, did the first in line get in here? 
 
Did he teleport? Did he walk through walls? Did he bounce like Tigger? Or maybe borrowed Hermione's broom or maybe Sabrina the teenage witch?
 
Baekhyun peers at the line as best he could, leaning out of line just to get a perfect view of said person at the front of the line.
 
It's Kim Jongin.
 
No wonder.
 
He must be itching to get to the same classes of his boyfriend, Kyungsoo.
 
Yeah, he's standing beside him too.
 
For moral support, maybe?
 
 
 
 
 
So Byun Baekhyun steps out of line (he has a queue number anyway), he still has more than an hour to loiter around and maybe look for Luhan. 
 
He fortunately meets said person along the way, who tells him about a yellow form he needs to accomplish to change courses. 
 
Luhan's such a wonderful best friend.
 
Another great thing to happen today!
 
But whoever invented requirement of such forms to accomplish just to change an irking schedule—a hindrance in his academic life? He has to make the department chair of his major sign it too! So he skips away, arms hooked with Luhan's, as they make way toward the mass communication's building. He literally takes a leap of faith when he climbs up 4 flights of stairs (with Luhan), because the elevator is unfortunately broken as well and the department chair just had to situate her office right at the very top of the so-called building. It isn't even the top floor actually, but whatever. 
 
Only to go through an old woman—apparently secretary to the department chair—who he didn't know until now will stamp an invisible bright red "REJECTED" on his forehead. The woman spouted non-sense about how his Philosophy classes doesn't even conflict with any of his schedules, anyway, so why does he need to change it? Baekhyun demands that he needs to, because it is necessary for him to fetch his little brother from his school kilometers away at 3 pronto and having a schedule from 4:30 to 6:00 just doesn't allow that! But no, the secretary refuses to grant him permission for this even if she honestly believed it when everyone practically may know that it's a lie Baekhyun just made up on the spot. Because one, he doesn't have a little brother; two, he just really hates the 3-hour gaps for every other subject but he can't say that!; and three, he just doesn't want to arrive home at 8 because the bus route or slash sometimes subway to his home takes lots and lots of minutes off his precious time; and four, there's no number four. So Baekhyun demands instead to cry his pleas to the department chair directly, only to have the secretary exit him out quick because. he. really. can't. 
 
End of life, end of everything—worst schedule ever, getting home at 8 when he should be eating and playing video games (because he needs to have lots of spare time for that, mind you), two 3-hour breaks in between subjects on Tuesday's and Thursday's too!
 
But as he skips with Luhan out the building and back into the internet research center, he hears the best news ever because omg!: "For the students wanting to change schedules, you wouldn't need the signature of any representative anymore. We'll just have to be more strict with the adding and dropping of subjects, because your respective departments have to be informed."
 
"Did you hear that?!" Baekhyun asks in squeaky excitement, turns to Luhan to hug him of so much happiness. 
 
"Yes, Baek!" Luhan squeaks in reply as well. "We could have the same schedule for Philosophy now too!!"
 
"What's your queue number again?"
 
"144."
 
But Baekhyun doesn't reply to that anymore, because right at Luhan's very back a couple of meters away, stands number 245 stapled on a registration form, Park Chanyeol in all his tall and handsome basketball glory. He has waxed raven hair pushed up today, a red duffel bag over his shoulders over his red basketball uniform: red top, red shorts, red trainerseverything just screams red! He seems like he's laughing at something silly with his trademark dorky deep melodic laugh along with his basketball teammates—Kris, Tao, and etc., because they honestly don't matter.
 
Well, the thing is Baekhyun has one helluva crush or maybe not that helluva crush on Park Chanyeol, one of the star basketball players in his school, but he thinks he's a jerk.
 
Never mind the fact that Baekhyun is part of the school paper as a sportswriter who usually praises his said crush in his every article, never mind that he talks about basketball in most of his sports articles and even in articles that he's tasked to write out of lack of writers that aren't even about sports, never mind that maybe he doesn't know him all that well and could get a chance to know him better like how? Just one look at his team and... Well, Chanyeol's teammates are tall and intimidating like Kris and the etc. ones and everyone with eyes obviously could see that, with Tao being the only kind exception maybe. At least, only because Baekhyun knows him personally. 
 
Baekhyun still thinks Park Chanyeol's a jerk, but a crush is a crush no matter how you put it. 
 
 
 
 
 
It happened one fine weekend, Baekhyun covering for the basketball league games inter-school competition against the varsity athletes part of other sports. That's where Chanyeol shone to Baekhyun, anyway. When the jerk (as Baekhyun coins—don't know why) had dribbled the ball with great dexterity, smoothly passing it to his teammate Kris, and grabbing it back to make a 3-point shot. That's when.
 
He had made a 3-point shot in Baekhyun's heart, too.
 
Well, except for his jerk of an attitude Baekhyun had confirmed when he saw some nerdy-looking guy tying Chanyeol's shoelaces for him.
 
What a lazy , couldn't even crouch for the life of him to tie his shoelaces.
 
But it's Baekhyun's side of the story.
 
 
 
 
 
Anyway, come afternoon on the school lobby, Baekhyun steps on a remarkably large nail with his left shoe. It's a good thing he was able to change his schedule for his Philosophy classes (even if he ended up not in Luhan's class anyway) and was able to help out his org for the recruitment happening next week. 
 
Baekhyun stops right on his tracks. He is stuck or at least his shoe is. It's in the middle of the hallway too and he has to suffer the prying eyes of people around him, but it's a good thing Luhan is beside him. Although, looking a little out there after taking a glance at his phone. "Baekhyun-ah, something came up at home. I really need to get going."
 
"But could you at least help—"
 
Worst best friend ever rings (contrary to his earlier mental remark of Luhan being a wonderful best friend) in Baekhyun's mind, because Luhan's out of the picture even before he could finish his sentence. 
 
He manages to sigh in disappointment, crouching down to remove the biggest nail ever off his shoe. Of course he would, so he could walk again and it would really be good if he could walk properly and
 
Krrrr.
 
Is that the sound of something ripping? 
 
.
 
Turns out the big nail has ripped through his insoles and the cloth of his sneaker just ripped after a few tugs here and there. He manages to remove the nail, though. 
 
What brand is this anyway?
 
It doesn't say Vans, DC, nor Converse.
 
Ah, must have bought it from a cheap retail store!
 
But now, how does he walk home with a broken shoe? The bus is a few kilometers away, too. The subway a bit further than that. Baekhyun wouldn't take the cab, no. It's too expensive and takes up half of his daily allowance. What more if it's traffic? The meter would skyrocket to a few thousand wons and sadly he has enough for only just the bus or subway.
 
He ends up literally sliding with the broken shoe just until he reaches a wall to lean on for support. Well, at least he's in the school lobby. He thinks maybe he could remove his shoes for all people care (if they complain that it stinks, at least they should be thankful they have their sense of smell) and walk barefoot (like a hobo boss would), he thinks about rummaging through the lost and found for slippers (and do a little scavenge hunt for the sake of his feet), he thinks about begging people to let him borrow a pair of slippers or something just to cover his feet, but ugh.
 
This is so embarrassing!
 
And is that the basketball team coming his way? 
 
Oh, there's Chanyeol! 
 
Baekhyun thinks he's about to pass out and panic, because Chanyeol definitely couldn't see him in this state!
 
Things happen and he's being pushed over the path the basketball team was walking over.
 
But Baekhyun sighs in relief, because he ends up ignored and they're walking out the school. When he finally turns back around, however, he bumps into something firm and he notices someone hovering over him as his head is in a bow and he's surprised to find Chanyeol right in front of him again. He thinks he wants to freeze, wants to cry or be right down the ground because Chanyeol's looking down below and probably at his broken sneaker.
 
Should've left home earlier!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"You guys go ahead," Chanyeol says, stepping out of line to make way for his teammates to go ahead. 
 
"You sure?" Kris asks.
 
"Yeah, I just forgot something."
 
He does turn back around then, stalks over to where he thinks he saw someone limping from before being pushed onto his teammates. He seemed to have noticed something, looking down at the shoes of the smaller. 
 
This smaller someone is obviously Baekhyun.
 
Baekhyun looks up at him when he turns back around in shock and bumps into the taller's firm chest, swallowing whatever lump's in his throat in a gulp.
 
"Haven't seen a broken shoe before?" he sassily snaps.
 
Chanyeol jerks at the reaction, because truth of the matter is that he means well and he isn't even doing anything to harm the other! 
 
There's inferiority hidden behind Baekhyun's hazelnut eyes, disappointment or a feeling somewhere along the lines of disgust. Does he think Chanyeol's poking fun at him for his situation?
 
Chanyeol calmly stands his ground, rejecting whatever sarcasm just spouted from Baekhyun's mouth. "What's your shoe size?" 
 
Baekhyun looks hesitant to answer, but he manages to croak out a "7" anyway.
 
"Well, I'm a 9, but I'd let you borrow my trainers for now," and Chanyeol's fishing out something from his duffel bag—a white noisy plastic with an imprint of a big orange check mark. Oooh, Nike.
 
Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol in curiosity. "What are you doing?"
 
Chanyeol sets a pair of trainers right at Baekhyun's feet. "What does it look like?"
 
Baekhyun just looks at Chanyeol and the pair of trainers right at his feet and back again. He still seems confused. "Huh?"
 
"Do you want me to put them on for you?" Chanyeol offers.
 
"What?" Baekhyun's still in the state of disbelief mixed with curiosity, but realizes the situation, "No, I don't need them!"
 
"Oh yeah? The subway's a long walk from here or the bus shed or the cabs. It wouldn't necessarily help to walk in those," he points at Baekhyun's broken left shoe, "back to where you live."
 
"No, really."
 
"And they probably stink, but sorry about that I guess? It's still better than struggling to wear something uncomfortable?" Chanyeol sounds half-questioning.
 
"I don't—"
 
"You do," Chanyeol insists.
 
"I—"
 
"You do, Byun Baekhyun," and that shuts Baekhyun up for good with wide eyes looking straight at Chanyeol's eyes. 
 
Baekhyun's jaw drops. "You know me?"
 
Chanyeol only smiles his boyish smile and it makes Baekhyun's heart swim in an ocean full of cheesy goo.
 
Chanyeol immediately shifts topic of conversation. "Don't you really want me to put them on for you?"
 
Baekhyun forms his arms in an 'X' because "No, no!" 
 
"Then just do it." Like Nike's sappy tagline, right. "See you around then," Chanyeol shortly says after, simultaneously ruffling Byun Baekhyun's hair.
 
Baekhyun just remains gaping right at his very spot, grabbing Chanyeol's trainers from the ground to embrace and he thinks they don't stink, it must've been Chanyeol exaggerating that.
 
And wait—! So Chanyeol's not a jerk?
 
But now, how does he return his trainers!?
 
 
 
 
 
 
The thing is Park Chanyeol knows Byun Baekhyun from the countless of articles the latter has written about sports and more particularly his sport and Park Chanyeol, himself. But he's not about to admit to that. Chanyeol's not particularly fond of reading papers, either—what more the school paper? But he's got to admit that there's just something with Byun Baekhyun's writing style that makes him read them. Moreover, Chanyeol kind of has the idea Baekhyun likes him a lot, but he can't be sure. He isn't sure either if he's developing a crush for the shorter, because he couldn't deny he looks cute and really, what's not to like? Anyway, Kris kind of has the hots for Luhan so why can't he now?
 
He always looked at the shorter across tables and chairs in the cafeteria whenever he eats lunch. It's in those times when Chanyeol lifts his right hand with a spoonful of food midway to his mouth that his attention darts to someone who's literally born to shine. Baekhyun's a social butterfly too, he's noticed—almost always fluttering from table to table to talk to a friend or two, reminding them of projects, doing favors—he's not really sure, but that's how it looks like to him anyway. He's preoccupied most times because he seems to keep himself busy a lot, so Chanyeol doesn't think he'll notice he's looking at him. They're not rude stares anyway is what he assures himself, calling them stealing glances instead.
 
So he'd taken that chance when he saw him down at the lobby. He'd just finished training and changing schedules for his Philosophy classes to accommodate his morning trainings. Anyway, he saw Baekhyun limping for the life of him in ways he couldn't explain. Until he'd looked down and noticed Baekhyun's broken left shoe. He even went out of his way and made his team leave without him just to let the shorter borrow his trainers, but now he knows Baekhyun knows he knows him because he accidentally spilled his name out of his mouth in desperation and insisting he needs to borrow the trainers for a smoother walk to a subway or bus—whatever Baekhyun's preferred mode of transportation is. 
 
Although, he kind of knows that maybe it's the bus he takes most often than not, because they've actually rode on the same one not too long ago. He remembers Baekhyun getting off before him and it's not that he's a stalker. Maybe it just so happened, because they sort of have the same route home with Chanyeol's just a little further.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chanyeol frowns when he attends his first Philosophy class, sort of moodily dumping his duffel bag and backpack—(yes, he has two bags)—at the front of the chair he'll claim. He takes a seat and spares a once over on all his classmates and he pouts when he sees no one familiar, but a few girls at the left hand corner of the room throwing winks at him he's not really sure what for. Thinking about it, they kind of look familiar now. Like those girls in the bleachers who'd cheer for him. Chanyeol's really appreciative of the whole encouragement idea, but are they seeking attention? Because if they are, Chanyeol's not really in the mood. 
 
So he opts to take a notebook and a ball pen out of his backpack, doodling messy scribbles across pages as he waits for class to start until he doesn't even notice the roll call has gone by and he's signed his name on the official class list. All those things he did absentmindedly and ever just so mindful of his own name, missing someone he may think interesting on the list until it's 15 minutes in and 
 
"Sorry, I'm late!" rings in the classroom, frantic and panicking in tone.
 
there he goes, there he goes again
lalalalalala
and i just can't contain
this feeling that
 
What is he even singing in his mind?
 
And wasn't that supposed to be she? Like there she goes...........
 
Chanyeol, however, ignores the jittery feeling literally racing through his brain or rather at the back of his mind as he watches Byun Baekhyun strut—yes, strut!—over to the professor. To probably sign the official class list, but that's besides the point now because now he's arguing in his head why he missed Baekhyun's name being called at roll call lately or even missed seeing his name on the official class list. But then Chanyeol remembers, that he was too absentminded to even care. Because sometimes he's pessimistic like that (that he tends to throw off the kids he sometimes communicates with in his major), just with the stray thought of a boring semester of Philosophy with no friends. He isn't particularly keen on making new friends, either, unless they talk to him first.
 
And now Baekhyun walks down the aisle, looking as bored as Chanyeol was lately.
 
Maybe he doesn't have friends in this class, too.
 
Chanyeol notes that slight shock registering on the shorter's facial expression he returned with a smile when he passed by him, though, before taking a seat a couple of chairs behind him on his right. That makes them sort of diagonal. Yeah, maybe they could be diagonal seatmates. 
 
But now that Baekhyun's in his class, Chanyeol thinks it's probably high time for him to know the other better this way.
 
Chanyeol briefly remembers by memory that there are two adjacent seats left empty somewhere behind him, so he mentally notes to be a little late next time and occupy that seat beside Baekhyun. He just hopes that the latter may take the same seat next time.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
On their next class together, Chanyeol is successfully late. 
 
He's glad he successfully takes a seat beside Baekhyun, too. 
 
He promptly turns over to the latter, striking up a conversation
 
"Hey Byun Baekhyun, where are my trainers?"
 
—totally the wrong way.
 
Except he redeems himself as quick as he could with that stunned look Baekhyun wears at his fail attempt of a conversation. He can't have Baekhyun think he's a jerk, no. He still wants to be friends with him.
 
"I'm just kidding, you can return them whenever you want."
 
Now Chanyeol knows he'd done it right, because Baekhyun's expression softens and his cheeks turns to a pinkish shade.
 
Is that a blush?
 
"Yeah, next meeting maybe?" Baekhyun asks, with hope glimmering from the bottom most of his heart. He hopes so hard Chanyeol's okay with it, but the feeling fades away just as it went by so fast because the strong feeling of his crush over the taller seems to have overcome it. If anything, Baekhyun's heart is beating like crazy in his rib cage. He doesn't even know if it has a chance to jump out and break his bones and thin layer of skin to get out of his chest, because this is just so overwhelming. The fact that Chanyeol's talking to him is overwhelming enough, but the fact that he's not being a jerk is twice the happiness and the relief that he thinks he just wants to scream in delight.
 
"Okay." 
 
Chanyeol smiles his boyish smile.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
By another class, they're friends. 
 
And the meetings after that, they become closer by not much actually. 
 
If Baekhyun may re-evaluate the situation, he just thinks Chanyeol and him are friends because they're the pair that almost always comes to class some kind of the same time. Not to forget when they're usually just mere homework buddies, asking each other this and that about instructions and easily forgotten homework. It's partially also because they seat next to each other. Baekhyun doesn't know why no one else dares to take his and Chanyeol's seat, but he'd like to think it's the jock stereotype Chanyeol has that's got him scaring off poor innocent souls (never mind that he's majoring in child development). But really, Baekhyun thinks Chanyeol is someone who wouldn't even harm a fly and would choose to fly with them instead because of his endless supply of energy. Baekhyun got the idea from Chanyeol having basketball training before their Philosophy classes and somehow Chanyeol still has some saved up to talk non-stop within discussions to him. He never runs out of things to say and never runs out of words flying out his mouth (just like a kid and maybe Chanyeol ought to exchange places with the kids he teaches in his major).
 
Like, say, mocking their philosophy lessons:
 
"Time is gold.
Gold is a color.
Therefore, time is a color." 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It also helps that they're also miraculously partners on a research paper, sitting across each other in between tables and on chairs with a pile of books preventing them from seeing each other clearly. It's called research and everyone has got to do it the traditional way. All your generation knows is fishing out phones from pockets and connecting to wifi to browse for possibly fake sources, so do it right, their professor said. 
 
But at one point they reach for the same book at the same time and Chanyeol shrugs and just laughs at the back of his hand, while Baekhyun is reduced to a blushing mess he helps cover with the pile of books in between them. 
 
"Is something the matter?" Baekhyun asks awkwardly. 
 
"Yeah." You.
 
"Hm, something about the research?"
 
"Yeah." Something about your hands.
 
"What about?"
 
"Nothing, I get it now," Chanyeol smiles.
 
 
 
 
 
 
And that one time they needed to watch videos related to their topic on an audio-visual room. Baekhyun wouldn't have noticed Chanyeol taking suspicious glances at him if he hadn't taken a moment to stare at the taller. Baekhyun remembers asking What's on my face? with Chanyeol's reply being Nothing with that famous boyish smile he makes and Baekhyun resists blushing (because even if it's nothing, it's still feels-inducing), but the butterflies in his stomach fails him because he remembers clutching onto his stomach for dear life like he's got low bowel movement when Chanyeol asked if he was okay and he ended up in the bathroom anyway. It was really embarrasing!
 
But the real deal about why Chanyeol took consecutive suspicious glances at Baekhyun is that he's thinking if Baekhyun's lips would be as soft as his hands. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
On one particular meeting, Chanyeol asks Baekhyun if he could go with him to watch The Croods. It's sort of an optional thing to increase their credits for Philosophy. Chanyeol just thinks he really needs it, because he barely even pays attention in every class because he could care less to process his mind after training hours. He doesn't miss out on being a walking chatter box to Baekhyun, however. Anyway, The Croods it is because their lessons somehow relate as their professor says so. Something about the Allegory of the Cave and all the Socrates-Plato-Glaucon bit. 
 
Baekhyun of course agrees but somehow hesitates just a little bit, saved by Chanyeol's persuasion for him to agree to the offer completely.
 
That's where he finds out that someone could be more interesting than a movie.
 
It's where he witnesses Chanyeol's different levels of merriment, palms slapping knees in boisterous laughter, a pair of crinkling mismatched eyes, how he sips on his coke and munches on popcorn with crumbs littering around his mouth, and face scrunching up in distaste when the scene deems fit (and even sometimes when they don't).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"Do you like Park Chanyeol?" Luhan finds time to finally ask Baekhyun as they spend a break together. 
 
"We're friends," Baekhyun replies promptly and he hopes effectively.
 
"You're my best friend, I'd know," Luhan sounds suspicious, eyes narrowing and as though trying to pry some truth behind Baekhyun's vague statement of words. 
 
"How would you? You're not in our philosophy class," Baekhyun waves, biting on his sandwich as he reads through his notes. Although, these notes look more like ants and oh, they're trailing from a iced tea spill at the side of his notebook. 
 
"Well, I happened to see you at the library flirting," Luhan blatantly states. 
 
"W-what? Are you sure that was us?" Baekhyun tries to cover it up, looking at everywhere but Luhan's eyes. He knows Luhan would know he's lying with the slightest movement and slightest stutter.
 
"You stuttered! And yes, I'm sure. So?"
 
"Yeah, I do. Not gonna lie."
 
"You , Baek."
 
"Soon, I hope."
 
"You're disgusting." Luhan punches Baekhyun's arm. "Why did you only tell me now?"
 
"I just didn't think you'd be interested."
 
"Uninterested my ," Luhan bites. "Anyway, I like Kris Wu."
 
"What!?"
 
Now isn't that new.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
But Baekhyun kind of wants to retreat with the whole being friends with Chanyeol idea (let alone the whole liking thing, actually), because God, have mercy—he loses Chanyeol's trainers on the subway on his way to school. Somewhere along cramped lines and the suffocating environment as the light rail goes, cutting off all the air supply, Baekhyun doesn't know how he manages to let go of the paper bag he put it on, but he does. He's not even all that close to Chanyeol yet and he's lost his trainers in the middle of the semester. He doesn't even know how he managed to not return them in the earlier weeks as it was ready to be given away too. He even hand-washed it especially and put it in a paper bag, because he didn't want to put it on his bag so carelessly.
 
Oh, so that's why he had the inkling to put it in his bag. 
 
But now it's gone. 
 
And maybe his budding friendship with Chanyeol will also disperse like thin air, like the slightest prick that could deflate a balloon. What more the post-friendship called romance? 
 
He feels awful in all levels that he couldn't even look Chanyeol straight in the eye on one of their classes. 
 
Now, if only Baekhyun could have just lost his broken left shoe that fateful day they first talked. 
 
But no, it's still at the very back of his shoe rack just as well, just because he feels lazy throwing them away. They were, to say the least, his favorite before. No Converse or Vans could replace it in his heart. Sometimes Baekhyun likes to think of sentimental value and whatnot, but no, maybe not. Chanyeol's trainers are missing already, so how could he even have time for something broken and probably irreparable.
 
 
 
 
 
 
And if it makes it any worse, Joonmyun has just assigned him an interview due on the game coming this weekend covering the event. 
 
"You have to interview a player, Baekhyun," Joonmyun had said. "Preferably Park Chanyeol or Kris Wu. Take your pick and ask them about their strategies. Anything!" 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chanyeol, on the other hand, seems to have noticed how off key Baekhyun has been the past few weeks. He has the initiative to joke about his trainers that Baekhyun still hasn't returned even after weeks in the middle of the semester. It's coming finals and he has not gotten a hold still of the trainers he let Baekhyun borrow. 
 
So he does, with a poke that alarms Baekhyun.
 
"Baekhyun, finals are coming," he says, "and I still haven't seen my trainers."
 
"I—"
 
"Is something wrong?"
 
"Chanyeol, about that, I—"
 
"Baekhyun."
 
"It was an accident, I don't know how it happened exactly," Baekhyun starts. "I must have been dropped on my head when I was younger and your trainers looked really fine, but... But I lost them!"
 
He says it finally.
 
"Oh."
 
Oh? That's it?! In all honesty, Chanyeol thinks it's quite ridiculous because it was out of kindness he even lent them, so he half expected to have them returned to him in all kindness too. But really? He's not even half mad at Baekhyun, even if those trainers were sort of his favorite, even if those trainers were still sort of brand new.
 
"I'm sorry," Baekhyun angles his head down. "I really am." He looks guilty, looks really sincere in apologizing. "Chanyeol, I'm sorry."
 
"Okay, I forgive you."
 
"So easy?"
 
"Of course not," Chanyeol says, watching the petrified look on Baekhyun's face before he continues, "You have to do me a favor and come to my game this weekend."
 
"I need to, anyway."
 
"Oh yeah? Why?"
 
"I kind of need to cover the event for the school paper."
 
"Oh, you're a sportswriter?" Chanyeol feigns innocence.
 
"Yeah." Chanyeol misses the way Baekhyun's face falls even more. 
 
Well of course he wouldn't even have time to read the school paper, is what Baekhyun thinks.
 
And really, Chanyeol doesn't, save for the ones Baekhyun writes, but he doesn't say it anyway.
 
"But I promise to go."
 
"I'm taking your word for that."
 
"They looked really expensive, though," Baekhyun frowns even more. "Your trainers, I mean."
 
"Don't think about it," Chanyeol softly says, as if assuring he's not mad because he really isn't. "We're friends, right?"
 
"We are?"
 
"Aren't we?" 
 
They become official friends just like that with Baekhyun's heart jumping in double delight, but he smiles small at Chanyeol in response. It's clearly a suppression of what he really feels inside. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun thinks he just might throw a tantrum looking over the long queue he just got into. Previously, he didn't have any problem about being first in line and literally first in everything when it comes to sports events. It's all thanks to his school org and his trusty press ID he always wears to said events that he could go through just anyone without breaking a sweat or queuing in lines that aren't meant to vanish anytime soon.
 
But this time's a little different, because the game's held at a neighboring school so he has to suffer this queue. He looks at the downside of this and ends up with never-ending reasons, but anyway those aren't strong enough arguments to counter the fact that he's going in this game for Chanyeol (if not for the sports articles that he is writing). All for Chanyeol, all for his #crush4laifu. Even if he's also sort of cutting down on food and transportation fees, because he's saving up for something great Luhan had suggested he should do. 
 
At one point in the game, their school's lagging behind by 10 points and it's the 4th quarter too with a mere 5 minutes remaining. They've managed to win 2 quarters, but that would mean a tie if the neighboring team would win this quarter now. 
 
Chanyeol looks so stressed out covered in sweat (Baekhyun would wipe it for him if he could) and panting at timeout as the team listens to their coach. Kris doesn't look all too well either, with his hands crossed over his chest and the infamous face he wears on. The others don't look too good as well, because they look like a bunch of beat up players now with hands on their knees, gritting their teeth in irritation. The most sane-looking player has got to be Tao, because Baekhyun swears he looks like he's meditating or actually practicing zen at timeout and he doesn't know if it gives off a good feeling. 
 
But just like usual, Chanyeol turns tables around and dribbles the ball in his hand with great dexterity. He passes it over to Tao who shoots 2 points. It's like a miracle when the opposing team commits a foul and one of the players in their school's team shoots 3 free shots not missing a beat. 
 
And then there's Kris who gains a hold of the ball and passes it over to Chanyeol, who Baekhyun swears looks at his direction before making a dunk and a 3-point shot not long after. 
 
Baekhyun doesn't know if he's blushing because Chanyeol made that 3-point shot in his heart or because Chanyeol had promptly looked his way before making said shot.
 
He decides maybe both. 
 
But maybe he just imagined that.
 
Baekhyun's heart accelerates, beats so rapidly in his chest he thinks it'll jump out of his chest any minute now. The feeling's even more overwhelming than those first few times Chanyeol talked to him in the school lobby and in class, respectively.
 
Now he thinks maybe he's affected by Tao's zen, too, and/or chi.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun leaves the court late, taking his time in fixing his stuff and grabbing a notepad and pen from it. He side eyes all the fangirls left in the court in mock hate, making expressions no one could see as he has his back them. And it's not like he has energy, anyway. It's bad enough to hear his stomach grumble just seconds later. He still hasn't eaten and he thinks it's driving him crazy. 
 
At least I have a reason to stay and they don't, is what he thinks instead. That at least he has kind of an assignment for the school paper and all the fan girls are just there to scream at Kris Wu's face or Chanyeol. Chanyeol, ugh. Baekhyun could actually go for Kris for an interview, but he knows Chanyeol anyway, so it gives him an edge—kind of gives him an assurance that Chanyeol would agree. And maybe if Chanyeol's in a good mood, he just might score free drinks or something he could put in his running-low-on-stock stomach and relief in his empty pocket.
 
Seriously, his org should've come up with this interview thing from the start. 
 
But then that would've been chaos, because he would've ended up weird and sprawled on the ground with too much feels and Chanyeol wouldn't have known of his existence.
 
When Baekhyun finally turns around, he hears the squealing of fan girls offering to wipe Chanyeol's sweat for him or massage his bruised parts (whatever part they're referring to). What Baekhyun is not sure of is if Chanyeol's walking towards him, because it looks like it so but he must be imagining things. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chanyeol surprises himself when he walks over to Baekhyun and offers if they could walk together, in which of course Baekhyun agrees to but is simultaneously surprised and wondering why Chanyeol would pass up an after-party just to walk home with him. And actually, pass up the offer of fan girls.
 
But at least this way will be easier, because he needs to kind of get Chanyeol for an interview and if he's lucky enough, maybe he could get that covered and accomplished right about today. 
 
Baekhyun does bring up that he has a favor to ask of Chanyeol. Chanyeol says they could talk about it as they walk and finds out it's for an interview Baekhyun needs to do for his article. They walk for a few minutes out the court, then.
 
"Maybe we could stop at a park or something," Chanyeol says out of the blue.
 
"Why?"
 
"For your interview," Chanyeol says. "Preferably one that has no noisy people, so it would make your life a whole lot easier. A cafe, maybe?"
 
Baekhyun's ears perk at the sound of cafe and he doesn't even know he's grinning, until he's being dragged by Chanyeol in a cafe at one of the nearby parks. Lol, Baekhyun's with Park Chanyeol on a park cafe. Too much parks. And of course Baekhyun wouldn't pass up the chance to be with Chanyeol in a park...cafe. He doesn't care if it's not a date they're getting into. At least, not yet, but at least he gets to see Chanyeol longer than he expected and get to know him more for the sake of his article.
 
And secretly, for the sake of his heart. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The next time they're in class, Chanyeol's half preoccupied entertaining his fan girls who claims they watched his game the past weekend and ohmygosh, you were amazing I can't even
 
Baekhyun waves off Chanyeol when the latter tries to talk to him, shrugging rather rudely, claiming he needs to listen to the lesson because finals are coming in a few weeks. 
 
Chanyeol doesn't get a hint, but it's not like he's aware Baekhyun likes him like that, or actually maybe, because Chanyeol smiles secretly because it's still inkling at the back of his head that maybe Baekhyun is being mean right now because he's not giving him attention—that he's possibly and maybe outright jealous. Baekhyun, that is. Chanyeol doesn't have a big head, so to speak. He doesn't really like all the attention on him when he's clearly and visibly popular, but there's just this something talking to him (can be the devil, the angel, or his conscience) right in his train of thoughts thinking that maybe Baekhyun likes him more than just a friend. 
 
But then he frowns when he thinks it's too much to assume, because maybe Baekhyun is genuinely friendly and considers him just as a friend. Furthermore, Baekhyun is surprisingly calm when he strikes a conversation—asking Chanyeol about something the professor had just uttered that he didn't quite catch. Chanyeol may or may not have also ranted about the new edition trainers Nike had just released and it's great functionality and how it would look great on his feet, but Baekhyun drifts away too soon from conversation. He thinks maybe Baekhyun doesn't like him at all (not that much, anyway), because his class standing is still his top priority. At least not like that like he thinks.
 
Maybe a friend.
 
But does he want to be just a friend?
 
Maybe not, no?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Kris chances upon Chanyeol on the locker room then, because their lockers are side by side apparently. 
 
"I heard of something," Kris starts, looking over at Chanyeol who's frantically in search of something in his locker room.
 
"What about?" Chanyeol asks. 
 
"Byun."
 
"Byun who?"
 
"Byun Baekhyun, who else?"
 
"Where'd you hear that!?" Chanyeol turns to Kris in a snap, looking at him as if he's grown two heads, because no one was supposed to know about that.
 
"I have my sources," Kris mischievously says, but sticks to a straight face. 
 
"Did he tell you himself?" Chanyeol asks hopefully, because if so, then maybe Baekhyun likes him the same way he does. But really, in what way does he really like Baekhyun?
 
"Nope."
 
"Then?"
 
"I'm going to my next class," Kris changes topic. "I just hope he doesn't give you shoes."
 
"Because why?" Chanyeol asks. "Why would he give me shoes?" 
 
"It would mean they're shooeing you away," Kris says, taking his route out the locker room. "It means cutting relationships. It's a Chinese saying, anyway. Okay, later." 
 
And just like that, Kris is out. Chanyeol thinks he doesn't have a non-platonic relationship with Baekhyun by far, anyway.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
But that still doesn't prevent Chanyeol from inviting Baekhyun to a musical. It's a random request or rather an invitation. It doesn't even happen in one of their Philosophy classes, but when they'd randomly bump into each other on their way to their other classes. 
 
"Hey Baek!" 
 
"Yeol, hey." 
 
"Do you watch musicals?"
 
"Haven't, would want to, though," Baekhyun replies promptly, looking at his wristwatch. He's running out of time as it is, apparently can't be late on his next class anymore than he has. 
 
"So would you watch with me?" Baekhyun looks up at Chanyeol, searching anything at all that may look like I'm kidding or that it's a rhetorical slash hypothetical question, but he doesn't find it. 
 
"Is this a real question?" Baekhyun asks, his eyes almost glimmering. But his hope crashes down when it sinks in that no, I can't spend too much. I'm almost done with the saving up. "I'm not sure, though." So he dodges it, even before Chanyeol could ask.
 
But Chanyeol doesn't really mean to ask him to pay. "Well, I thought you might want to. I have two tickets. No one from the team would want to watch it with me. They say it's sissy and I don't really want to waste them. It's happening two weeks from now and my parents were supposed to go, but they've this important schedule on the same day they overlooked."
 
"Then okay, I'll watch with you!" Baekhyun immediately agrees, after sliding tabs and apps on his phone. "I've nothing scheduled two weeks from now." 
 
And anyway, I'm almost done saving and then I'd just have to buy something else, so a treat to self won't be harmful after which. 
 
"I'll see you then, okay?" Chanyeol asks, but more like wanting assurance. "I'll give you the ticket on our next class. But for now, I need to go."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"Luhan, guess what," Baekhyun almost runs toward his best friend seated quietly eating his food in the cafeteria.
 
Luhan only looks up from his sandwich with sleepy eyes at Baekhyun who's inexplainably happy and cheery and is that a halo on top of his head? Except no, because he's a rascal. 
 
"What?" 
 
"He asked me to go with him to this musical," Baekhyun sits across Luhan.
 
"Why?" Luhan raises a brow. 
 
"I don't know," Baekhyun says. "Oh right, his parents needed to go somewhere important. They were supposed to go."
 
"Okay, so what about those trainers you told me you were saving for?"
 
"I don't know," Baekhyun frowns. "I'm working on it, alright?"
 
"You better."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And immediately a few days after, Chanyeol walks up to his locker only to be welcomed by a paper bag that screams Nike and he has the audacity to let out a gasp, hurriedly tending to the paper bag with a box inside.
 
He impatiently unwraps it and is welcomed by a pair of trainers.
 
What's weird is that this particular pair is the one he's been dreaming of for the past few weeks now.
 
What's even more weird is that he spots a note that says "- Baekhyun" and that's that. No smileys, no xoxo, no nothing. 
 
But hey, why is Baekhyun giving him trainers? Why is Baekhyun giving him shoes? 
 
Didn't Kris tell him just some days ago that it means cutting relationships off? Something about shooeing people away?
 
What's going on?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So a week before their musical date (is it even a date?), a day after Chanyeol received his new pair of trainers anyway, he ignores Baekhyun. He says that it's testing the waters—to know if in fact it's true Baekhyun is meaning to cut their friendship or anything going on between them, not like there's anything. At least, he does this because of what Kris said a few days ago. Baekhyun ends up ignoring him just as well. It's either he's running late for his class when he sees him or he just didn't see Chanyeol and the possibilities of how Baekhyun may be unconsciously ignoring him doesn't even cross his mind.
 
But the thing is, Chanyeol has a stubborn mind. He skips philosophy the whole week, so he purposely doesn't see Baekhyun. He kind of misses the guy, though, and his shortie presence. But then, how is he meaning to test the waters if he's not even giving Baekhyun a chance to explain and skipping off to the idea of outright ignoring him?
 
Baekhyun still comes obediently to all of his games, though. Their eyes would meet for a brief moment when Chanyeol side eyes the bleachers and he doesn't even know why he's looking, but his gaze holds a bitter look in them. It takes all of Baekhyun's willpower to gulp and look away, because he couldn't figure why Chanyeol is suddenly like... suddenly so cold
 
Chanyeol thinks otherwise—that Baekhyun is just there, because of professional reasons—because of his sports articles. It's for his organization and nothing else. 
 
And because Chanyeol is ignorant, he ends up walking out on Baekhyun when the latter tries to strike a conversation after a particular game. 
 
They lost, by the way. 
 
Truth be told, Baekhyun just means well. He means to talk to Chanyeol to give him words of comfort—that it's not the end for the team and most definitely not the end of Chanyeol's basketball dreams. But why does Chanyeol seem to be ignoring him?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It's scary, because he does clarify that Chanyeol's ignoring him when they bumped into each other on their way to their other classes. Chanyeol didn't even spare him a glance, nor was he looking like he wanted to utter a sorry. He just wore this familiar expression he had during that basketball game they lost.
 
But Baekhyun thinks it's still maybe partially fault of the game—that maybe Chanyeol's just a sappy person, groggy and stubborn every time he loses.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And because Baekhyun's human and Baekhyun is able to feel, he does notice that they haven't talked for so long. It's the musical day tomorrow, too, and the only thing he could think of to contact Chanyeol is through a text. 
 
So he does just that and texts promptly:
 
'Yeol, please go.'
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Late the next day, Chanyeol frowns when the clock strikes 8:05 pm and Baekhyun is nowhere to be seen. Actually, he's not even sure if Baekhyun's coming but at least there's a little bit of hope in his heart wanting to see him, wanting him to come. The musical is delayed by a few minutes because the line seems to have no ending to it and if Baekhyun refuses to show up, then maybe Chanyeol would just watch this by himself. But Baekhyun did say that Chanyeol needed to go. Never did he say that he'll go, though. What a waste, is what runs through Chanyeol's mind, because he spent almost 100000 won for this too. Or at least, his parents did.
 
It's a few minutes into the show. Would Baekhyun have no conscience to just not show up? And after he'd texted please go, too, yesterday night?
 
 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun is baffled and sighs when he reaches the venue. He looks at the line and rolls his eyes, because this couldn't be a queue again he's putting up with. He couldn't identify who Chanyeol is with heads literally sticking everywhere. He frowns, because looking around wouldn't help. So he doesn't even bother queueing and the queue is for the other musical anyway on the next room. He couldn't figure why it's so outright disorganized as he goes over to a more empty space. He looks up at a sign and sees a familiar title welcoming him. 
 
And yes, it's the musical Chanyeol gave him a ticket too. If it's not overwhelming enough, he also finds the taller leaning on a wall next to the door of the theater. Baekhyun slowly glides, measuring careful steps as he walks right in front of Chanyeol and asks, "Why?"
 
Chanyeol appears confused, shock registering on his face because maybe, just maybe he hadn't even expected for Baekhyun to come. 
 
"Why?" Baekhyun repeats his question.
 
"I don't understand?" Chanyeol half asks. "What are you trying to say? Are you asking why I'm waiting out when I could've gone in when the show's started for some 15 minutes now?"
 
"No," Baekhyun shakes his head. "Why have you been ignoring me?"
 
When Chanyeol replies, he sounds agitated and worked up, "You gave me a pair of trainers as a gift. What do you think was I supposed to think? And why are you even here? Can I at least have my ticket back now? So maybe I could sell it off to someone more willing to go with me."
 
"Wait, what?"
 
"My ticket," Chanyeol stretches a hand out.
 
"I went here to watch it with you, so why are you trying to take it back?"
 
"We weren't on speaking terms for days, Baek. And you texted yesterday night that I just needed to go. I didn't know you'd still want to watch it," Chanyeol pauses, "and I thought we had something special."
 
"Something special?"
 
"You, me?" Chanyeol points at himself and Baek.
 
"I didn't really kn—"
 
"Of course you won't! Because you just practically shooed me out."
 
"I still don't get it."
 
"Don't you know that giving shoes as present means you're pushing that person out of your life?"
 
"And?" Baekhyun asks in irritation. "It's just to make up for your trainers I lost that you let me borrow!"
 
"It's something I've heard before from Kris. Might be a Chinese saying or something. My philosophy in life."
 
"What the hell, Yeol? I'm not Chinese, you're not Chinese. What are you on about? If you don't want the shoes, just give them back. Simple as that."
 
Something in Chanyeol's mind clicks. "Wait, so you're not trying to push me out?"
 
"You are so gullible, so naive. Of course not!" Baekhyun exclaims, messing his own hair in frustration. "You remember that one time you told me about the newly released Nike shoes you wanted? You spoke about it as if you'll be on cloud nine once you have it, so I bought it for you instead to make up for your trainers I lost. I didn't want to just not do anything about it, because they looked really expensive."
 
Chanyeol doesn't say anything in response, just bites his inner cheeks in contemplation with happiness slowly registering on his face.
 
"So are we done with that issue?" Baekhyun asks, in which Chanyeol promptly nods to. "So what was that you were on about again? Something about you and me?"
 
"You're really clueless, aren't you? I like you, Baekhyun."
 
"You like me?" Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol in disbelief. 
 
"I like like you," Chanyeol emphasizes. "Didn't you ever wonder why I knew your name the first time we met? And I thought you'd pick up on the fact that I purposefully was late every other time in philosophy, because I wanted to sit next to you. I thought you would've taken a hint on that one time I asked you if you were a sportswriter, because what if you're writing for the features section of the school paper? Because that's possible, right? But no, I immediately assumed you were a sportswriter, because I read everything you wrote about me."
 
"But you said you knew a lot of people."
 
"I did? But anyway, I needed to be subtle."
 
"And it's normal for you to be late, because you have training before class."
 
"Class is at 10:30 and training ends at 9. I don't know how I'll be late given that."
 
"And you said you don't read the school paper."
 
"I didn't say that! But anyway, I read your articles."
 
"Because they're about you."
 
"Yes, because they're about me, but I like how you write. But you know what?" Chanyeol pauses. "I like you a lot, anything you say or present as an argument is invalid otherwise."
 
"So you're using philosophy on me now?"
 
"Yup, until you think it's sound and not just merely logical."
 
"What are you even talking about?" Baekhyun's face scrunches, trying to control all emotions. 
 
It's not until they're in the theater and have found their seats when Chanyeol turns to Baekhyun, stares at his lips, and says, "I really like you, Byun Baekhyun. You're my new philosophy in life, the premise and conclusion to my argument," in the presence of flashing lights and notes being hit effortlessly.
 
"Yeol, that's really sweet and all but the musical."
 
"Okay, but I really feel like kissing you right now. I've been thinking for weeks if they're as soft as your hands."
 
"That's illogical."
 
"But Chanyeol and Baekhyun are people. People kiss. Therefore, Chanyeol and Baekhyun should kiss."
 
"Okay, just do it quick."
 
And Chanyeol presses his lips to Baekhyun's own, lingering for a little while until Baekhyun pulls away and shyly shoves his head to Chanyeol's chest, because Baekhyun secretly thinks it's toe-curling and he just wants to swathe in a puddle of romantic goo. "This is happening, right?"
 
"As real as it gets."
 
"Okay," Baekhyun beams for a few seconds, holds Chanyeol's hand in his own. "Now, let's enjoy the show."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It was high time they got together, amongst queues and Chinese philosophies about shoes for gifts and whatever else. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Epilogue
 
"Man, it's your fault," Chanyeol looks straight at Kris, tension filling the locker room.
 
"What is?"
 
"You said that stupid Chinese philosophy about shoes and I had to ignore Baekhyun for days."
 
"Well, you didn't need to take it so literally."
 
Before things start to get physical, two figures step into the locker room. One of the two confess and raise his hand in guilt, "I might have something to do with it."
 
"Lulu?!" Baekhyun asks in horror.
 
"We wanted to push buttons to clarify feelings. I don't know. We didn't think it would work, but then it did and look at where it got the two of you? Together!"
 
"You're the worst!" Baekhyun exclaims, running to Chanyeol because his best friend is being a meanie. 
 
"Whatever," Kris waves, putting his arms around Luhan's shoulders.
 
"Wait, explain," Chanyeol points at Kris and Luhan.
 
"Lulu!?" Baekhyun exclaims the same name twice in the day.
 
"Kris and I are together."
 
"How come I don't know?"
 
"I told you that one time."
 
"You told me you only liked him."
 
"Um, didn't I kind of insert somewhere that we're together? Oops."
 
"You're the worst, Lulu." Baekhyun frowns.
 
"You still owe me," Chanyeol directs at Kris.
 
"Whatever for?"
 
Chanyeol's eyes glint in mischievousness and rather than answer Kris' question, he opts to say, "Let's go on a double date." He knows Kris won't like the idea for sure. 
 
And sure enough, "No."
 
"Come on. Luhan would like that. Won't you?"
 
"Yes yes, please," Luhan begs, clinging on Kris' arm.
 
"No."
 
"Yes."
 
"No."
 
 
 
 
 
 
And well, do you think they pushed through?
 
 
 
 
 
 
well sht, i warned you though, didn't i?