Chapter 25.

The Curse
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hi guys!
I wanted to update this faster but my struggle to finish this story is so strong... orz
This chapter was supposed to be longer but I didn't want to rush it so I split it in two instead!
Hope you enjoy! :)
sorry for the typos and mistakes, my english is far from perfect :<
And thank you so much, as always, for the love you give to this story ♥

 

 

"I have a bad feeling about this", Hyukjae mumbled under his breath.

Donghae shuddered. He was insanely nervous. Having Hyukjae's arm wrapped around his shoulders, holding him securely against his chest, wasn't enough to calm him down. His fingers were clutching the elder's shirt tightly and, as Hyukjae spoke, he pressed himself closer, seeking for comfort and protection. At least, they had let him put back his blindfold and he felt less insecure with his eyes being concealed again.

"I don't think we have a choice", Heechul retorted in an annoyed mumble. Donghae didn't exactly know where he was but his voice was coming from the other side of the room. "Besides, it's too late. It's done now."

"What if he lied and the Hunters are on their way back here?" Hyukjae's grip on Donghae's body tightened. "What if they're coming to take Hae away?"

"I didn't lie", Yesung nonchalently retorted, his deep voice sending nasty shivers down Donghae spine. "And nobody but my friend is coming. You heard everything I said when I called him."

"You could have used a code or something..."

"Yeah, could have", Yesung admitted. "But I didn't. Sorry but you can only trust me on this one."

"Don't worry, I won't let anyone take you", Hyukjae softly muttered against Donghae's ear and the boy felt a warm sensation bubble inside his belly. Tender fingers came to his hair and he melted under the gentle touch.

"Now", Yesung spoke stolidly, his tone slow and lazy. "I think it'd be wise to untie me. If my friend walks in and sees me attached and captive or whatever, he may assume you are enemies and will attack."

Another fretful silence ensued.

Then Donghae heard someone move, walking across the room, and Heechul spoke. "Alright", he slowly said.

"Hyung, no!" Hyukjae almost shrieked, tensing against Donghae, making the boy even more nervous.

"Relax, Hyuk", Heechul sighed. "He's right, we need to trust him. Don't worry, we have a bunny mastering martial arts and able to mandhandle him if he tries anything."

"Sungmin has a broken arm", Hyukjae seethed.

"I don't need both my arms to fight, one is enough. I can use my legs too", Sungmin intervened in a low, tense voice. He sounded on the edge, ready to explode. His fear of losing his lover was palpable.

"But Donghae is scared of him. I'd prefer if he stays tied down."

"N-No, it's fine", the boy softly said, yet still clawing hard on Hyukjae's shirt. "You can u-untie him i-if you want to..." he added, trying to control the shake of his voice but miserably failing.

"Are you sure, Hae?" Hyukjae asked with clear concern.

The boy in a deep breath. "Y-Yes... I know when people lie", he replied. "And I don't think he's lying to us..."

Donghae wouldn't deny he was truly afraid of the Hunter, but he could tell the man was playing fair with them. He had not sensed any lie or craftiness from the man, no hidden intentions, even if Yesung was hard to read. Donghae had a sixth sense to detect those things and he trusted his instinct.

"Alright then", Hyukjae gave in, earning a low snigger from Heechul, who was always amused to see his friend unable to resist the youngest's will. Sungmin remained awfully quiet.

Donghae heard someone moving around, then some rustling sounds and a thud as something was dropped on the floor.

"Thanks", Yesung muttered, an almost imperceptible hint of relief in his voice.

Donghae pursed his lips but said nothing. He was incredibly nervous knowing the man was free from his ties. Hyukjae seemed to sense the younger's uncomfort, or maybe felt very wary himself, because he took a couple steps back and pulled Donghae with him, until they were standing in the farthest corner of the room.

"So...", Yesung hummed. "Can I get some apple juice?"

Heechul made a sound between a snort and a huff. "Are you serious?"

"What?" Yesung said, sounding somehow playful. "I'm thirsty and I like apple juice. It's okay if you don't wanna share, just say it. No need to make a fuss."

"Are you a kid or something?" Heechul grumbled. "No Minnie, I'll get that!" he quickly added. "You keep an eye on him."

Donghae was glad Heechul remained at least a little cautious. They were taking a huge risk trusting the Hunter. Hyukjae, among all, seemed the most anxious about it, everything about his body language showed it.

"Maybe we shouldn't stay here. We should go somewhere else. They could come back..." Hyukjae hesitantly uttered, his hand running through Donghae's soft hair. The boy wasn't sure if Hyukjae was trying to comfort him or to comfort himself.

"No, they won't", Yesung replied with a steady voice. "They got the one they came for and they don't care about you, or anyone who's not cursed. And they only have information about the wolfboy, they don't know you're hidding another one."

A wave of relief washed over Donghae, making him a little dizzy. At least, the Hunter weren't chasing him for the moment, which meant they had room to manoeuvre without meeting obstacles. At least for the moment.

"But you came back, though", Sungmin pointed out. "More Hunters could also-"

"Only because I was asked to gather some evidence of the wolfboy's curse. The others have their own task to achieve."

"Oh", was Sungmin's only reply.

"Won't they come and check on you if you don't return to the head-quarters soon?" Heechul inquired as he placed a glass on the table and poured something in it.

The Hunter loudly snorted, as if it was the most silly thing he had ever heard. "No."

The room went silent against, except for the small noises Yesung made as he sipped his glass of juice. There was a heavy tension floating in the air, despite the fact that the Hunter didn't seem to be an immediate threat.

"Hey, I'm curious about your curse, can I ask you something?" Yesung suddenly spoke, and he sounded a lot closer to him than Donghae had expected.

Donghae felt as if a boulder had been dropped on him and he flinched so hard it pulled a grimace on his face.

"Leave him alone", Hyukjae defensively snapped.

"Protecting your cub I see", the Hunter only hummed in response. "C'mon, I'm not going to eat him, I just want to ask him some questions. Even if my job is to hunt them down, I don't get to talk to many Cursed ones."

"Stay away from him", Hyukjae hissed, muscles flexing, reading to fight.

"Come back over here", Heechul intervened. "Hyukjae won't let you approach Donghae and he has all the rights to do so."

"Okay, fine!" Yesung sighed and stepped back.

Donghae heard and felt him walked away and he breathed out in relief. Next to him, Hyukjae was still tense, ready to spring into action if the man tried to approach again, and it gave Donghae a feeling of safety.

But the Hunter didn't insist. Instead, he started an inquiry about Kyuhyun, explaining that he needed as much information as possible to map out a strategy, and Sungmin reluctantly answered to all his questions. The Hunter listened, not commenting nor giving his opinion, but sometimes asking more details when he judged Sungmin was too evasive.

They were interrupted when a loud knock echoed from the front door. Donghae and Hyukjae both jumped in synch, instinctively tightening their grip on each other. Nobody said anything for a couple seconds, everyone holding their breath, and before they could react, a voice boomed from the other side of the door.

"Jongwoon?" a deep, but soft voice called. "Jongwoon, it's me. Are you okay?"

Donghae quietly gasped and leaned forward, straining his ear to hear. The voice didn't sound exactly familiar, but not completely foreign either. As if he had heard it before.

"Hey, open the door", the man behind the door called again.

"Stay where you are, I'll open the door", Heechul said.

"As you wish", Yesung lazily replied.

Heechul took a few steps across the room. A lock clicked open and a second later, the door was smoothly pulled open.

"Oh..." the second Hunter uttered, voice now filled with confusion. "Hello..? Where is-"

"Just get inside", Heechul interrupted him, ushering the man inside.

"I'm here", Yesung crooned.

"Hey", the man's voice softened, a tension leaving his tone but confusion lingering. "What's going on here?"

"Sit down, I'll explain", Yesung commanded.

The Hunter remained quiet but he moved forward, walking across the room, complying to his friend's request. But as he passed next to Donghae and Hyukjae, he suddenly stopped and froze.

"You..?" he blurted out with clear astonishment. "...Donghae?"

The cursed boy's heart skipped a beat, before it went thundering inside his chest. Hyukjae froze too, a croaky shocked sound escaping his lips.

"What-" Heechul stepped in. "How do you know Donghae's name?"

"I'm Siwon", the man said, speaking to Donghae. "Do you remember me? I was the one with you, when you got lost in the streets..."

The memory of the kindhearted Hunter taking care of his wounds, giving him soft words of reassurance, emerged back to Donghae's mind and the boy understood why the man's voice didn't sound completely unknown.

"I remember", he replied, feeling slightly appeased. He could feel Siwon's kindness, the same he had shown to him on their first meeting, and his fear partially retracted.

"Do you know him?" Hyukjae inquired, his hands resting around the boy's shoulders protectively.

Donghae quickly told Hyukjae and the others how he had met Siwon during his short run-away in the city, and his encounter with the Hunters who were beating him until Siwon had stopped them. Siwon confirmed the

Please log in to read the full chapter