Chapter 22.

The Curse
Please log in to read the full chapter

Update~!
I'm so tired. I don't have much to say. Sorry for the typos, this is barely proof-read.
Hope you like it... (I don't like it much)
Thanks for all the support you keep on giving me, I need it <3

 

 

 

 

 

Kyuhyun was about to pull his hair out of frustration when Donghae's faint voice echoed in the room.

“He’s gone?”, the boy weakly repeated, face turning even paler.

Kyuhyun frowned, hating the feeling of being so confused. “What the hell happened while I was out?!”, he groaned, voice tense, as he stared at Donghae's awful state. To see the brunet in such a miserable condition, bruised and wounded, smelling like a mixture of blood and distress, was heartbreaking. “First I find you out in the streets, all alone and almost being taken away by hunters, and now Hyuk is gone too! This is seriously not the time to play games!!” he grunted, frustration building up.

Time was running, and his chances of getting answers were growing thinner by each second. Despite all the mess which seemed to have occurred while he was out, he could only think about his main goal. He had to hurry and get back to Leeteuk, before losing all hope of meeting his fairy.

He watched as Donghae pursed his lips, chin suddenly quivering. Kyuhyun was starting to feel uneasy, sensing that something terribly wrong had happened, and his intuition flared up as the blinded boy reached out for him and clumsily grasped his jacket, clutching on it tightly.

“K-Kyu”, he stuttered miserably, making the wolf boy frown harder. “Choco is... Choco... I k-killed Choco.”

Kyuhyun tensed.
It took him a couple seconds to process the words. His gaze went to the bedroom's door and he cussed under his breath when he noticed the door was ajar and not shut like it should have been. A weight dropped into his stomach, making his guts twist nastily and leaving him nauseous.

Donghae flinched and the grip of his fingers on Kyuhyun’s sweater weakened. Seeing that the boy was about to withdraw his hands and step back, probably fearing an outburst, Kyuhyun promptly grabbed him and pulled him into a tight hug.

“What - How did it happen? Is Hyuk okay?”, he gritted out, holding Donghae safely against him.

The boy whimpered and hugged him back, fingers clawing at his clothes. A cold nose came to nuzzle Kyuhyun’s neck, tip rubbing against the younger’s skin, and Donghae began to tremble again.

“I was in the bathroom…”, he croaked out. “Choco came in and... I-I looked a-and-”

“Shhh”, the werewolf shushed him, hand soothingly Donghae's back. “I'm sorry. It's my fault”, he said as guilt quickly overtook him.

Donghae promptly denied with a muffled no, but Kyuhyun knew better.

“It is”, he sighed, regret and remorse lacing with his voice. “I've been careless. I was in a rush, I must have let the bedroom's door open, I... If anyone is at fault here, it's me.”

“No, I'm the one who did it...” Donghae retorted.

“Nothing would have happened if I hadn't made a mistake, Donghae. I've been reckless”, he bitterly stated.

Stomach churning unpleasantly, full of guilty knots, Kyuhyun pulled his phone out of his pocket, keeping his other arm around Donghae’s shoulders. He felt awful and his heart was aching but as pained as he was about Choco's loss, and as much as he was blaming himself about it, he couldn't lose focus on his first problem. The mourning had to wait.
He dialled Hyukjae's number, praying that his friend had his phone with him, or else they would have to leave without any explanations. But fortunately, the elder picked up rather fast.

“Kyu!”

“Hyuk, where are y-”

“Kyu!”, Hyukjae croaked out, sounding deeply distressed and clearly about to burst into tears. “I lost Hae!” he whimpered with a broken tone. “I lost him! I can't find him! I woke up and he was gone! I think he feels guilty... - oh my god he's alone somewhere he must be scared and hurt I need to-”

“Hyuk! Chill out!” Kyuhyun promptly reacted, sensing his friend borderline hysteria. “He's with me, just calm down!”

“He's with - oh my god! Is he okay?!”

Kyuhyun glanced down at Donghae, eyeing the boy who was clinging onto him, face hidden in the curve of his neck. He felt a pang in his heart as he sensed the blinded boy's anguish. For sure, Donghae was surely blaming himself and feeling worse than guilty.

“He's fine. He's all good. Just a few scratches...”, he assured the elder, purposely dismissing Donghae’s condition and the fight he had had with the hunter.

“Thank god...” Hyukjae breathed out through the line.

“Where are you?”, Kyuhyun asked, growing stressed and impatient again.

He first heard a soft sniffing sound, before Hyukjae spoke, voice faint. “A-Across the Migliore mall, and you?”

“At your place”, Kyuhyun shortly replied. “But we have to move”, he added before Hyukjae could say anything. “Listen, I found the White Sorcerer, I'm going to meet him now and I'm taking Hae with me.”

“Who? Wait- No!”, Hyukjae instantly exclaimed.

“I'm not asking your permission Hyuk!”, Kyuhyun ferociously snapped. “If there is a way to free us from our curses, or none, Hae has the right to know.”

“It's not safe”, Hyukjae argued.

“Nothing's safe for a cursed kid in this world”, the werewolf deadpanned. A short silence followed and Hyukjae didn't reply. Kyuhyun heaved a deep sigh. He glanced at the clock hanging on the wall and was reminded that time was still running. “I'm taking him with me”, he firmly said, not open to discuss furthermore. He was urged to leave as fast as possible. “But you can come too, if you're worried. Go and wait for us at the Sindang train station. We'll be there in about 15 minutes.”

He was ready for Hyukjae to throw another tantrum, but the latter only muttered hesitantly: “O-okay...”

Kyuhyun hung up without wasting more time. He shoved his phone back into his pocket and peeked down at the boy in his arms. With a heavy heart, he lifted Donghae up and carried the boy to the bedroom. He carefully dropped him on the bed and went to pick up some warmer clothes in the closet.

“You can't go out wearing just those rags, it’s freezing outside”, he mumbled, a small scowl on his face. He glanced at Donghae’s miserable figure, quietly sitting at the edge of the mattress. “Look at you, you've hurt yourself”, he muttered.

Donghae didn't reply, staying all stiff and silent on the bed. Kyuhyun grabbed a warm sweater and a pair of thick socks, and returned to the other. Seeing Donghae not moving, he proceeded to help the blindfolded boy getting dressed. He frowned with worry as he noticed Donghae's unusual apathy.

“We're going to meet a sorcerer, Hae”, he softly explained as he pulled the boy's arm into the sleeve of the sweater. “His name is Leeteuk. He'll bring us to meet my fairy. He said she could have answers about our curses, and how to undo them...”

“Does Hyukjae hate me now?”

Kyuhyun pursed his lips. He finished putting the piece of cloth on his friend before he gently cupped his face. “He could never hate you, Donghae. He’s completely freaked out when you left and he couldn't find you. He cares for you, no matter what happened.”

“But I killed Choco.”

“He doesn't hate you”, Kyuhyun said again. “Listen, I left the door open. Technically, I am the one who let this happen. You two should hate me instead.”

“No!” Donghae shouted and his hands jerked up, reaching out for Kyuhyun and grabbing his sweater once again. “I would never hate you!”

“I know. Just like Hyuk could never hate you”, the wolf boy uttered soothingly. “Now, come. We don’t have much time.”

Donghae didn’t put up any resistance when Kyuhyun hauled him up onto his back. He didn’t even ask the blinded boy if he able to walk. He could sense Donghae’s exhaustion and weakness. He doubted the elder could even stand on his feet in this condition.

They quickly left the apartment, only taking a minute to wrap Donghae into a warm coat and put some shoes onto his freezing feet. Kyuhyun carefully held Donghae’s thighs as he gave him a piggyback, feeling how the other boy was barely putting any strength into the grip around his neck. He took his time in the stairs, afraid he would let the other fall if he rushed down the steps, and he slightly frowned as he felt Donghae gasp quietly against his neck.

The trip back to the train station was tense and nerve-racking. Donghae remained completely silent, probably aware of Kyuhyun's need of concentration. The wolf boy had all his senses on alert, and his sharp eyes were scrutinizing his surroundings, ready to react to any threat and any danger. He knew his attack against the hunter wouldn’t go unnoticed for long and he was surprised that the area wasn’t full of hunters yet. He had a guess they probably were busy elsewhere, he had to take the chance before they showed up.

 

They reached the train station in less than ten minutes. Kyuhyun peered around, searching for Hyukjae, and rapidly spotted the young man standing a few meters away, pacing around and shifting nervously on his feet. He could smell his friend’s distress from the distance and clearly see the anxiety written all over his face. Another pang of guilt made his heart clench.

He glanced around one last time, scanning the crowd, and was satisfied to see that nobody was paying attention to them. He helped Donghae to climb down his back, but he had to catch him right away as the boy's knees buckled under his weight. He wrapped his arm around Donghae's small waist and proceeded to move in Hyukjae's direction, only to realize the elder had already spotted them and was rushing toward them.

Hyukjae barely spared him a look. As soon as he reached them, the young mechanic grabbed Donghae and pulled him into a strong embrace. The cursed boy yelped in surprise but promptly returned the hug as soon as he recognized Hyukjae. They clung onto each other desperately, and Kyuhyun could only watch wordlessly, not having the heart to stop them despite the emergency of the situation.

“Holy Hae!”, Hyukjae's voice cracked. “I was so scared, I thought I had lost you!!”

A chocked sob slipped out of Donghae's lips, muffled as the boy buried his face against the elder's neck. “I'm s-sorry”, he stuttered, so low Kyuhyun's sensitive ears barely caught the whispered whimper.

“I know you feel awful about what h-happened to C-Choco, but... It was an accident, you didn't mean to... I-I know you’re upset b-but... Don't leave me Hae! You can’t do that! Promise me you won't leave me like this again, oh god - I’m going crazy!”

Kyuhyun grimaced and looked away. Hyukjae sounded shaken and kind of desperate. The shock of almost losing Donghae had clearly taken a toll on him and the wolf boy suddenly realized the depth of Hyukjae’s attachment to Donghae. And seeing how Donghae was just as wrecked, clinging onto Hyukjae’s shoulders as if his life depended on it, made it obvious that the affection was just as strong on both sides. He wasn’t sure if neither of them could survive without the other anymore.

“Let’s move”, he grumbled, eyes darting right and left, observing the crowd and smelling the air, attentive to any sign of danger. “You can be all lovey-dovey later.”

He hated himself for sounding so insensitive, but they had wasted way too much time and he couldn’t afford to lose more. He was about to grab Donghae and lift him up to lift him on his back again, but Hyukjae glared at him and held the boy possessively.

“I’ll take care of Donghae”, the elder nearly growled, and Kyuhyun had to fight not to snort.

“Of course”, he rolled his eyes. “Just carry him, he can’t walk and we have to be fast.”

Hyukjae nodded and scooped Donghae up in his arms like a child. The weakened boy immediately held onto the elder male’s neck, with a lot more strength than when Kyuhyun had carried him. The werewolf boy just looked them for a second, before he swiftly spun around and walked straight toward the train stati

Please log in to read the full chapter