Chapter 16.

The Curse
Please log in to read the full chapter

I'm too tired to proof-read. I'm sorry for all the typos and mistakes guys.

 

"C'mon, just try it", Kyuhyun's smooth voice tried to coax the other boy.

"I-I don't k-know", Donghae stuttered, feeling nervous again.

"It's just showering", the younger said. "Nothing's gonna happen, you know."

"Y-Yes but..."

Donghae's fingers were clutching the other boy's sleeve tightly, so hard it started to feel a little painful.

"I won't come in until you tell me to. I'll stay behind the door the whole time, so you can just call me if you need", Kyuhyun went on, trying to convince him. "There's just you and me here, so nobody will enter. And I covered the mirror, so you really have nothing to worry about. You don't need to open your eyes if you don't feel ready. Just take off the blindfold. Just try."

Donghae pursed his lips. He was on the verge of giving in, but still felt a little reluctant.
 
A few days had passed and Kyuhyun had kept on encouraging him to try and take off his blindfold. The younger hadn't insisted too much on asking Donghae to look at himself in the mirror, but he had repeatedly brought up the idea of taking off the black piece of cloth.
As a starter, he wanted Donghae to shower without it. He had told the boy he could take a look at the bathroom if he wanted, to have a chance to use his eyes without taking the risk of hurting himself or someone else. He had promised nobody would come in, and nothing would happen.

Donghae had first refused, but Kyuhyun hadn't given up. Hyukjae had encouraged the idea too, though not at fervently. Even Heechul had said it could be good for him. The three males were patiently waiting for the boy to feel ready.

Donghae had thought a lot about it, and while thinking about it, he had progressively accepted the idea that, maybe, it wouldn't be too bad to try. He wanted to, really. The way the others talked about it made it sound as if it was safe. After all, if he was alone in the room, if they made sure no one would step in, made sure the mirror was covered, then he wouldn't harm anyone, right?

It was a slow process, such a long time for Donghae to get ready, but the endless words of encouragement were leisurely making their way to his mind. He just needed time to mentally prepare himself. He was still dreadfully scared, no matter what they said.

Yet, Kyuhyun, of all people, knew how to work on Donghae's mind. He knew the right words to say, and the things the boy needed to hear. His purring voice uttered reassuring promises to the elder, printed them in Donghae's mind, little by little letting the boy get accustomed with the idea.

"Hyukjae would be so proud of you", the younger cursed boy said, his thumb rubbing Donghae's knuckle soothingly.

The words successfully sank into Donghae's brain, as well as in his heart.
He wanted to make Hyukjae proud, he wanted the man to praise him, to hug him and tell him those words that made him feel safe.

He chewed on his lower lip, anxiety and fear creeping up to his chest.

"Okay", he finally surrendered.

"Yeah?" Kyuhyun asked, though he sounded quite satisfied. Donghae just hummed in response, too nervous to talk. "Okay then, let's do it now", the younger exclaimed and stood up, pulling the other boy along with him. "Don't worry so much, Hae", he repeated as the cursed boy stood up, tense and stiff. "Hyukjae won't come home before another hour. I'll guard the door anyway."

"Yes", Donghae breathed out, nearly gasped. His chin was starting to quiver again and his heart was racing. The overload of nervousness made him a little dizzy, but he let Kyuhyun lead him to the bathroom.

The two cursed boys entered the room. Kyuhyun left Donghae near the sink for a minute and went out to bring the boy's pajama. When he came back, he placed the clothes on the little dresser next to the sink, showing Donghae their location. Then he took out a clean blindfold from the drawer and placed it beside the pajama.

"There", he crooned, placing Donghae's hand on top of the piece of cloth, to let him know where he had put it. "You know where the towel is, right. Just leave you clothes on the floor and shower, as usual. I'll clean after you."

"Okay", Donghae muttered.

It was happening so fast and a little abruptly, and his brain couldn't fully proceed what Kyuhyun was telling him. He was a little lost, unable to completely realize what he was about to do.

A pair of gentle arms suddenly pulled him into a light hug. Kyuhyun embraced him, uttering more words of comfort and encouragement, soothing Donghae and trying to reassure him. Donghae hugged him back, clinging onto the younger a little desperately, burying his face against his shoulder.
He took a deep breath when Kyuhyun pulled away.

"Just try to shower without the blindfold first, open your eyes only if you feel like it", the younger said, fingers playing with Donghae's hair. "Everything will be alright. Take your time."

Donghae hummed in agreement again. Kyuhyun patted his shoulder one last time, and then he walked out of the room, closing the door after him.
Donghae stood in the middle of the room. Minutes passed without him moving a single muscle. The pressure inside his chest was nearly suffocating and his body was trembling from head to toes. His heart pounding, making his ears drum and his head throb. He was scared.
From the other side of the door, Kyuhyun gave him more encouraging words. Donghae didn't answer, but he listened none-the-less.
 
After a long time of remaining there, motionless, he took another long and deep inspiration, and felt a rush of courage flow through his veins. He slowly took off his clothes and dropped them on the floor, until he found himself stark . His limbs felt heavier than ever as his lifted his arms up and brought his hands to his face. His fingers brushed against the blindfold, ghosting over his ears, before they slid along his hair and reached the knot at the back of his head. He silently gasped, feeling his heart thump furiously. He played with the piece of cloth tied around his head for a while, tugging on the knot tentatively, until he finally undid it.

The blindfold fell down his face and landed on the floor, at his feet. The boy's breath hitched, nostrils shaking, while his eyes remained shut and his lips pursed. On the other side of the door, Kyuhyun had fell silent.

Donghae didn't open his eyes but he felt the difference none-the-less. His retina caught the light passing through his lids. He couldn't really define what was happening, but somehow the usual complete darkness was gone. With the tip of his fingers, he gently pressed on the orbs under his lids, feeling the softness on his skin and the tickling brush of his eyelashes. He moved up to his brows and ran his digits across the short hairs.

The light he could faintly pick up through the thin skin of his lids stung a bit, he realized. It created some sort of pressure on the back of his eyes, and it slightly hurt.

After a long moment of touching and feeling his eyes, he decided to shower. With wobbling legs, he walked to the shower cubicle and entered the little space. He the water, choosing the right temperature, as Hyukjae had taught him, and he soon felt the warm liquid pour on him. He sighed and slightly relaxed.
It wasn't so much different from usual.

Fumbling around the shelves, he grabbed the shampoo and proceeded to wash his hair. As he massaged his scalp, he realized how much easier it was for him to clean his head without wearing the piece of cloth concealing his eyes. He rubbed the whole area, running his fingers over each parcel of skin and hair he usually couldn't reach, feeling a tingling sensation on his head every time he tugged on a strand of hair normally stuck under the blindfold.

His eyes remained shut the whole time, but he kept reacting to the unusual light passing through his lids. He was getting a little more accustomed to the sensations, to the new vision his eyes were facing, instead of pure black darkness he had lived with his whole life.

He wanted to take a look around. The temptation was huge. He was still struggling with himself as he rinsed his hair and resumed to wash his body with soap. But, once he found himself all clean and fresh, he just turned off the shower and his lids were still tightly shut.

He stepped out of the cubicle, reaching out and feeling the wall to find the towel hanging there. He quickly dried himself, biting on his lip as he kept fighting with himself. He dropped the towel on the sink and stood there for a moment, hesitating. But in the end, he sighed in defeat and gave up.

Pouting, he grabbed the clean blindfold Kyuhyun had prepared for him and tied it around his head. Then, he pulled on his pajama, feeling a tu

Please log in to read the full chapter