Chapter 15.

The Curse
Please log in to read the full chapter

Last day of holidays :(
I'll try to keep updating regularly though ^^ Thank you guys for all the love you're giving to this story <3
 

 

          The boy didn't move for a long while. A rush of adrenaline ran through his veins, making his heart pound, leaving him overwhelmed. A part of him was tempted to get up and walk to the bathroom, to indulge in the temptation and uncover his eyes. If he did, he would be able to finally discover his face, and what his surroundings looked like. He always had felt the secret desire to see, to use his eyes and feed his curiosity about the world around him, and about his own face.
 
He had explored his features, touched his body, more than once, in a vain attempt to imagine how he was, what he looked like. He had touched others' faces, others' bodies too. He had touched the walls, felt the furniture and the items under his digits. But no matter how much he had touched and felt, he was still absolutely clueless about what everthing actually looked like. And inside of him, there was this raging need to know. Kyuhyun's words had just ignited everything.  

Yet, as much as the temptation was strong, he found himself unable to move from the couch. That part of him wanting to give in to his curiosity had to fight with his fears. As he sat there, motionless, his mind was torn between conflicted thoughts. He was troubled, excited and yet frightened. But as time passed, he progressively calmed down. And another realization hit him with violence.

The flat was completely silent. The first minutes after Kyuhyun's departure, he had been too troubled to fully realize it, but the other cursed boy was gone, Hyukjae was gone, Heechul and Sungmin hadn't come, and he was all alone in the dark and in the silence.

The feeling of loneliness crashed over him without mercy, and he momentarily forgot everything about mirrors and bathroom. His heart harshly clenched and his stomach filled itself with unpleasant knots. All the old feelings he had pushed aside for the last weeks came back forcefully and he suddenly felt like crying.

The oppressive weight he used to feel back in Mokpo wrapped his whole body once again, heavier than ever. He felt his strength progressively desert him, replaced by the well-known sensation of weakness and powerlessness. He hated to feel so helpless but he couldn't fight the feelings invading his whole being. A strong sense of weariness quickly took over his limbs and left him slightly nauseous.

Somehow, he knew it was stupid. Hyukjae would be back in the evening. Kyuhyun had promised to return before noon. But, without being able to fight it, he found himself drowning back into his past without being able to stop the pain and sorrow which took over him.

Being alone was much more painful than it used to be. He had been lonely for years, but a few weeks of staying with Hyukjae had started to heal his wounds. And now, just because he was left alone for a few hours, it felt as if all his wounds were reopened and bleeding again.  

He knew he could have distracted himself with an audio-book or anything on the television. Hyukjae had gathered the remote and the mp3 player near the couch, so that Donghae could easily find them and entertain himself. It would have helped not to let his darks thoughts take control over his body and mind again. But the boy didn't feel like it.

Instead, he sat there, with his body getting more and more numb and groggy as minutes passed, his heart was beating painfully in his chest. He didn't cry, but the unshed tears burned and stung his eyes under his lids, while the huge lump down his throat gave him the impression he was suffocating.

His state of apathy kept growing as the morning ran. He ended up lying on the couch, all curled and knees up against his chest, too tired to do anything. He was still tempted to drag himself to the bathroom, but he didn't move.

He kept thinking about Kyuhyun, torturing his mind with questions he couldn't answer. Where was the younger? Was he okay? Had he been caught? Was he in danger? Had he found the Sorcerer he was looking for? Had he got any answer?

Even if he didn't believe that their curses could be undone, he still admired the younger for not giving up. Kyuhyun was strong, and Donghae felt pitifully weak in comparison. He couldn't do anything by himself. He was a burden to everyone. Just being left alone for less than half a day, and all his energy was gone and his vitality vanishing again. Such a weakling he was.

"I can be brave too", he muttered to himself, tears welling up to his eyes. His soft voice filled the living room, breaking the silence around him and making him feel even more abandoned. "I want to be brave too", he nearly whimpered.

With much difficulties, he forced himself to sit up and crawled down of the couch. His legs wobbled a little but he managed to stand up. Carefully, he walked out of the living room, using the walls to find his way and support his body. He made his way through the small hallway leading to the bathroom. The though that he could at least move and walk around freely now brought him a little rush of vigour.

It took him less than a minute before he found himself in the bathroom, standing in the middle of the room. He didn't know where the mirror was. He didn't even know how he would know what it was, since he had never seen one before. He had touched one once, it had felt like a wall. Donghwa had explained that it was an object in which people could see themselves, but for Donghae it was something hard to imagine.

He stood there, chewing on his bottom lip nervously, feelings more knots tugging on his guts. His inner conflict re-emerged. He was torn between his deep wish to take off the blindfold and look around, and the ruthless fear rushing through his veins.

He couldn't forget what had happened the first and last time he had given in to his curiosity. Donghwa had died. And he was scared. Scared someone would come in, scared he'd hurt somebody again, scared something bad would happen again.
He began to doubt too. What if Kyuhyun was wrong? What if he hurt himself looking in the mirror? What if his curse killed him? What if he died? What if it hurt to die? What if he killed himself and could never be with Hyukjae ever again? Could he take that risk?

His fingers played with the knot of his blindfold for a while, without untying it. He wanted to, but at the same time he didn't. His hands were trembling and his heart throbbing as it beat wildly in his chest. He began to feel a bit dizzy.

He pulled a little on the knot behind his head, tugging on it hesitantly.
He took a deep, shaking breath.  
And then lowered his hands.

The vision of Donghwa's dead face flashed through his mind, and the guilt took over. He couldn't, wouldn't do the same mistake. Even if he was all alone in the flat, even if there was nobody to hurt, he wouldn't take the chance.

His eyes were doomed to be forever concealed, and he had to accept it.

Feeling his courage slipping away, he exhaled heavily, his breath shaking and a sob threatening to escape his quivering lips. He sank down on the floor, all strength gone, and released a few tears of both frustration and sheer sadness. The little wet drops damped his blindfold.

He didn't know how long he remained prostrated on the freezing floor of the bathroom, unable to move nor to say a word. He didn't care if his body turned stiff and cold. He was numb inside and yet too sensitive at the same time. He didn't even react when, some time later, he heard the front door being opened and squeaking barks filled the apartment.

Kyuhyun and Choco were back.

"Donghae?" he heard the othe

Please log in to read the full chapter