Chapter 1.

The Curse
Please log in to read the full chapter

Before I start, I just want to introduce this world shortly so that you won't be confused.
This story takes place in a world similar to our world. It's the same, Korea and Seoul are basically the same as the one we know, except that magic and supernatural are part of that world. They are "normal". Well, you'll discover more about it later ;)

So, yeah... Here is the first chapter!
 

 

 

 

The Curse.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

          "Donghwa, why does Father hate me?" 

  The boy glanced at his five years old brother, Donghae. He watched the smaller boy for a few seconds, his eyes wandering over the fail frame of the child sitting in front of him. He lowered his eyebrows and his expression darkened as he eyed the blindfolded face of his sibling.

It took him a few more seconds before he managed to reply.

"He doesn't hate you", he lied.

The other boy remained silent for a while, until his soft, high-pitched voice spoke again. "He never comes to see me", he calmly stated.

"He's busy with work."

"Don't lie. I may not be able to use my eyes, but I can feel it. He hates me."

The elder boy observed his brother for a while.
Donghae was right. Even though he was not allowed to see with his eyes, he could sense things better than anyone. Without his sight, he had developed a very sharp sensitivity. He could feel people. He could feel the emotions filling their heart.

"He's scared", Donghwa finally replied, knowing how useless it was to lie to the younger one.

"Why? Why is he scared?"

Donghae for sure knew the cause, but he still couldn't accept the reason. As a child, it was something he couldn't understand. The hatred of your own parental figures isn't easy to put up with.
 
"Because..." Donghwa stopped and ran his tongue over his slightly dried lips. "Like everyone in the village, he thinks you're dangerous. They're scared you will harm them."

"I don't want to harm them", Donghae whispered weakly.

"I know Donghae. I know you don't want to", Donghwa said and brought his brother closer to him, until the younger's head rested on his shoulder. He wrapped his skinny arms around the tiny frame of his brother and hugged him tightly, feeling how the small hands came to grip his shirt.  

The silence came back into the room. Donghae remained quiet while Dongwha gently his hair, soothing the little boy whose heart never felt happy.

"Is it why I'm not allowed to leave my room?" Donghae softly asked again, even though he knew the answer.

"Yes."

"Is it why I can't take it off?" he added, his small fingers softly moving up to his face and tugging on the blindfold concealing his eyes.

"It is."

The answers always hurt him, yet he couldn't help but ask the same questions over and over again, each time secretly hoping the replies would change. But they never did. The answers were the same, and it hurt.  

"If I take it off, will people be harmed?" Donghae's small voice whispered again, muffled by the fabric of Donghwa's shirt.

"I don't know", the elder brother hugged the little boy tighter, pursing his lips until they became a thin line. He wasn't exactly lying. He honestly didn't know what would happen if Donghae disobeyed and took off the blindfold concealing his eyes.

Maybe people would be hurt. That's what the whole village believed. Donghae had been cursed by a witch after all. It wasn't something to be taken lightly. Everyone feared the witches. But above all, people feared those who had been cursed.

"Is it my fault that your mother died?" Donghae softly muttered, snapping Donghwa out of his dark thoughts.

The elder frowned. "She was your mother too, you know."

"No, I don't", the five years old boy retorted. "I can't remember I ever had a mother."

Donghwa gritted his teeth. "You know she died when you were a newborn. Of course you can't remember anything about her", he mumbled dejectedly.

"Was it my fault that she died?" Donghae repeated and tightened his grip on his brother shirt, as if fearing to hear the answer. Only the silence answered him and, breathing shakily, he asked again. "Was it?"

"I don't know", Donghwa sighed. "Dad thinks it is", he admitted.

"Father hates me because I'm cursed."

Donghwa always felt upset when the word was pronounced. Cursed. How he hated it! Because of that word, his life would never be normal. Because of that word, Donghae would never be happy.
 
"Many people in the village feel the same", he grumbled, running a comforting hand on Donghae's back, in a weak attempt to soothe the little boy's aching heart.

"They all hate me."

It wasn't a question, just a statement. The statement of a five years old child. Of a young soul who should never have to say out loud such a painful reality.

Donghwa didn't reply. What could he say? What could he do? He was not so much older, he was just nine. He didn't know how to protect his sibling from the cruelty of Men.

He didn't reply. Instead, he buried his face in Donghae's neck and embraced him harder, giving to the younger the only kind of affection he would ever receive in his life.

"Do you hate me too?" the tiny boy asked, his small fists tightly gripping the other's cloth.

"I love you Donghae."

Donghwa felt how the skinny body in his arms relaxed.
Donghae could feel who lied and who spoke the t

Please log in to read the full chapter