Like Those In The Fairytales

Remnants of a Hollow Heart - A Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

A/N: Forgive me for the late update. Real life caught up to me. But here's your update. Enjoy! XD

EDITED, June 10, 2013: Eyesore errors. ^^

 

 

 

 

In fairytales, the protagonist usually waits for her prince to come along and sweep her off her feet. The princess, somehow, is aware that a knight in shining armor was en route to rescue her. Although unannounced and spontaneous, she would look out her window and glance at the newcomer with shy smile across her moonlit face.

 

And then the princess would, by some sort of magic, escape the cursed castle and with the charming prince, run away on a white steadfast horse to a magical land, hearts swelling with admiration and newfound independence.

 

Everything happens in a slow motion dramatically, like how the world rotates to complete a day.

 

To Taeyeon, that’s what love is. Love is unhurried. It is relished slowly, carefully but most of all, patiently. To Taeyeon, love is slow.

 

As she sprinkled basil over the dish, Taeyeon sighed, inspired by her thoughts.

 

“Turkey Scallops Cordon Bleu, Ratatouille, Filet Minion for table twelve. Lad likes it rare,” the chef hollered through the bustling kitchen, muscles embossed on her neck, “Make it fast, people!”

 

Taeyeon grew accustomed to the clamor that she could sleep through it, but if there was something that she will probably never get used to, it would be the chef herself.

 

After garnishing the last dish, Taeyeon pretended to dry her hands on the apron when in fact, she was stealing glances at the chef’s side profile.

 

The executive chef was busy going about in the kitchen, oftentimes startling her subordinates when she stood behind them, watching them do their jobs properly. Yes, she’s meticulous like that. No plate will leave the kitchen without the chef’s piercing glare scan the dishes for flaws.

 

She had this authoritative aura that lingered around her that everyone in the hotel restaurant would become motivated and driven. And in turn, she gained the respect and obedience of her employees.

 

But if there was something that caught Taeyeon’s attention, it would be the way she moved gracefully, much like a mystical fairy floating in an enchanted rainforest.

 

Taeyeon admired that side of her, especially when the chef wields a knife and starts cutting the vegetables in julienne swiftly and charismatically—if that made sense.

 

She turned away before she could get caught staring and handed the chore to the younger girl beside her.

 

“She will melt like duck’s fat on margarine,” smirked her co-worker.

 

Taeyeon grinned at her, “Plate that thing!”

 

Yoona stuck her tongue out and shoved Taeyeon to the side, “Go eat, stalker.”

 

Before she could retaliate and land a loving smack on the , the executive chef appeared in front of Taeyeon. She suddenly became aware of her presence and felt stupefied.

 

So, she got stuck. Looking. Staring at the chef’s tired yet content face. A few strands of red hair were peeking out of her toque, but she still looked dazzling nevertheless. Taeyeon wanted to tuck the soft tresses behind her ear and caress her sensitive skin there.

 

And then like those in the fairytales, time slowed down.

 

“Thank god, lunchtime rush is over. I can finally have mine,” chef leaned on the wall, a towelette dangling on her shoulder, “Have you had lunch?”

 

“Yes, chef,” cut in Yoona, knowing that Taeyeon would be too stoned to answer, “But Taeyeon unnie will only have hers now.”

 

And then the chef’s gaze landed on Taeyeon. She smiled widely upon seeing one of her best subordinates, “Let’s go?”

 

**

 

She was never that type. The kind that looks down on her subordinates like they were lowly beings just because she was in a higher position. She never was.

 

Taeyeon knew that.

 

It was endearing how the chef would humbly invite her workmates to lunch, like they weren’t at work at all.

 

And Taeyeon felt her heart swell in admiration, like those in the fairytales.

 

“My hair’s a mess, yes?” the chef asked as she put her chopsticks down to pat her head.

 

“You look fine, chef. Don’t worry,” said the other sous chef, taking the last bite of his meal before standing up, grinning, “See ya in the kitchen.”

 

But the chef wasn’t convinced, so when the other person left, she turned to Taeyeon for justification, “Taeyeon?”

 

The way she said her name was like butter melting on a pan, redolent and sweet. Time slowed down again, everything was happening in a slow rhythm.

 

Taeyeon reached out for that lone lock of red hair and carefully tucked it behind the chef’s ear, “You’re perfect, chef.”

 

The chef met her gaze, eyes twinkling and cheeks warm, “Call me Tiffany.”

 

Taeyeon studied her face and saw the princess’ shy smile on Tiffany’s lips like she had just met her prince.

 

**

 

“Drive safely, unnie,” Yoona told her.

 

“I will,” she laughed, “Bye!”

 

Taeyeon watched the younger girl drive away with a small smile on her face and mounted on her bike, ready to go home but a certain person made her look back and stop.

 

There, standing under the street lamp, was Tiffany. The executive chef was basked in a glow so glorious, it was almost like a miracle. Tiffany looked like an ethereal princess waiting for her prince under the nightsky.

 

Taeyeon ignored the lump in and pulled her bicycle towards the waiting girl.

 

Tiffany seemed different wearing a blouse and a pair of skinny jeans, Taeyeon thought.

 

“Tiffany.”

 

Tiffan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter