047

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

            An armada of ships left the ports of both Balma and Sera by dawn. With the King’s new ship leading the way, his flag waving high, a grouping of twenty other ships followed. Kris and his crew being one of them, their ship carried cannons, guns, and other weaponry that would prove useful in the coming battle. Kyungsoo helped tie down the cannons in place with Taehyung, who joined their motley crew after Taura saved him. He excitedly told the story of how they found the flag and decided to return back, fearful of encountering sirens. Kyungsoo listened, but was in and out of the story as his own thoughts consumed him.

            Whatever they were sailing to scared him. It was unknown and far off from any major land source. They were sailing to an island, yes, but the hopes of finding help there were slim. They were sailing into dangerous waters and he only hoped Taura, Sehun, and Ran could bring help where needed.

            Tying down the last cannon, Taehyung and Kyungsoo returned to the top deck where Kris was busy mapping out routes with Lay and Luhan. Taehyung went to help Chen load a few guns while Kyungsoo wandered over to the side of the boat. He rested his hands on the railing and breathed in the salty air before looking down at the ripples of water below him. Looking at it made him dizzy, but he couldn’t help but stare. Somewhere down there Taura was busy doing who knows what. Was she safe? Is she okay? What is she doing?

            Kyungsoo finally closed his eyes, his head spinning and body feeling light. Clenching his teeth he suppressed the dizzy feeling with a sigh.

            It took away some of the pain but it would have helped to let the others know that they weren’t dead. That Sehun and Taura were very much alive just in another form. It would maybe ease some of the sullen atmosphere on board but then again the fact they were on their way to an island far from any mainland was scary too.

            “We’ll be there in a few hours.” Kris came up behind Kyungsoo placing a hand on the younger’s shoulder before moving on to tell the others. Kyungsoo looked behind him as Kris moved to each member. The force and authority in his voice almost nonexistent, statements sounded more like suggestions and his self questioning thoughts more prominent against his cool façade.

            Sehun’s ‘death’ taking its toll on him, everyone could see it.

            “Ay! Hey! There is something up ahead!”

            Just ahead of their ship, the King’s vessel had stopped and a booming voice could be heard yelling things out that were hard to make out, “What’s he saying?” Chen asked aloud as more yelling could be heard. The scene of men rushing around the other boat had Kris and his crew looking to the edge to see what was going on. All ten moved to portside and leaned over the railing to see that there was something floating in the water.

            “What is that?” Chanyeol squinted his eyes to get a better look when they saw that a small dingy was being lowered from the ship into the water with two men in it. “What if it’s a person?” Baekhyun looked to Kris who kept his eyes on the water.

            Gripping the ropes in anticipation, Kyungsoo leaned as far as he could to catch a glimpse of what was in the water as the small boat neared the unidentified object. One of the men frantically stood up, causing the boat to rock as his partner rowed faster, “Your majesty! It’s the prince! The prince! And the princess! It’s them!”

            “What did he say?” Xiu Min asked, hearing what the man had said but wanted affirmation that he wasn’t hearing things.

            “It’s the prince! They found them!” Lay yelled out as more boats approached seeing that the King had stopped moving. Word spread fast as more and more sailors heard the tidings of the men from the adjacent ships and cheers could be heard as hats were thrown up in celebration.

            “I wouldn’t celebrate just yet.” Kyungsoo spoke as he watched the two bodies being pulled into the small boat. Rowing back, the man leaned down to check each body and gave his partner a panicked look.

            “Uh-oh,” Everyone seemed to catch the man’s look and from where they were they could hear the frantic yells of the king who wanted an update on his son.

            The boat was brought back up to the top deck. As the king and his crew quickly rushed to the boat. The king took Kai in his arms, laying him down on the wooden floors as the other men rushed to help Mira. Her body was handed down to th

Please log in to read the full chapter