45

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

            Taura and Hina sat in the princess’s temporary room together unsure of what to do next. The mermaid knew she couldn’t stay in hiding for long. She had to do something but with the information Haemon had given her, what could she do? Yes, her grandmother wanted her to take over this city but Haemon had that job. What good would that do overall for all of her people? She was not a ruler and barely saw herself as a princess. She was still young, selfish, and naive.

           Taura fidgeted around, biting her nails. The lack of incentive and progress eating at her conscience, Taura felt something stirring. Bad things.

            “Hina,” The older female in the room turned to the princess as Taura stared off to the side, “what exactly happened back home?”

            Her advisor swam away from Taura with her back to the princess as she crossed her arms. Thinking back to the day that their city was overtaken, she shivered at the vivid image of Taura’s mother being killed.

            “It was still early in the morning when they came. A group of male Sirens had come into the castle and killed almost every mermaid in their way to get to your father. Including your mother, she had woken up already and was leaving your bedroom when they—“

            Hina choked up at the last word, but Taura understood. She took in a deep breath and swam over to Hina resting her head on her shoulder as the mermaid continued, “They took your father and killed a few of the other nobles in the palace. I had to help the remaining ones flee and was taken hostage. They forced me to stay behind with your father.”

            “Then how did you leave so easily with me that day?” Taura lifted her head up as the other mermaid turned to her.

            “A few of the king’s guards remained behind, in secret of course, and freed me and your father. Where they took him, I can’t say. They told me to find any of the remaining royals and take them back. And that’s when I found you, but why and where you have been all this time, your highness? You put your family and the rest of this city in chaos because of your long absence and your friends too. Their families have been on edge looking for their own daughters.”

            Guilt built up again inside the princess just thinking about the consequences of her reckless actions. Because of her, the city was in danger, her friends were in danger…everyone was in some kind of predicament that was connected to her stupid decision to become human.

            “It’s all my fault then? I caused all of this.”

            Taura floated down to the ground, her body feeling weak as Hina knelt beside her and cupped her cheek, “It’s not your fault. All of this was bound to happen one way or the other.”

            She moved away from the woman’s comforting touch as she clenched her fists, “I’m going back. I’m going to face whoever is responsible for running us of our homes.”

            She swam up, heading for the door when Hina latched onto her arm, “You can’t go alone, they will kill you.”

            “I’m not going alone.”

            Taura swam to Haemon who she found in the main part of the castle accompanied by five others who looked to be the other nobles that Hina saved. In the midst of a heated discussion, Taura swam closer to see that just behind the six men was another woman who seemed to be the object of their discussion. The blonde haired woman had her arms crossed as she listened to them degrade her as if she wasn’t there. Haemon tried to find some breathing room when he saw that Taura had just entered.

            “Excuse me gentlemen, but we have a guests.” Haemon’s eyes diverted to Taura as the rest of the nobles turned to see their princess. Five pairs of eyes widened as gasps left their lips. They all bowed deeply to the remaining royal as Talya bowed her head just the same.

            “Y-your highness, you were perceived to be dead.” One of the older merman swam up to Taura taking her hand but she quickly took it back, “Well I’m very much alive.”

            The man backed away to the others as Talya swam around them to the girl with a sly grin, “Your highness, it has been too long.”

            “Your majesty.” Taura bowed to the Siren causing the nobles to look at th

Please log in to read the full chapter