42

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

            Melmare, the name of the underwater city which Taura lived was built out of a cavern and hidden away in a deep cave. Taura found the opening and swam down accompanied by a school of red snappers. Seaweed, coral, and anemones masked the entrance making it difficult for most to find. The swim down was a dark one with jagged rocks on either side, the small pathway allowed for only one person at a time. Taura kept her arms close to her when the bright light of the cave’s opening greeted her.

          Large pillars supported the cave as the ceiling sparkled from the rays of sunlight that hit the embedded sea glass. The glass reflected on the main palace wals, it looked like the night sky dotted with stars. Taura felt overwhelmed seeing her home. What awaited the princess scared her. What would be left of her home? Her family?

            The center of the city was the palace, surrounded by smaller buildings. The pillars were even used as homes. The palace was a four tiered structure that got smaller as one swam down, she reached the bottom and noticed the many merpeople that swam around her had stopped. Their eyes on her every move, when she glanced at them they quickly swam away. Their orange tails flicking up and down in retreat, Taura couldn’t help but imagine Mira the day she had fallen off the ship with her. Could other's among them be traitors? The princess continued into the palace, but found the main hallway to be empty. Not a soul swam through the doorways and the once thriving palace seemed completely dead.

            Though as she passed rooms, whispers reached her ears, causing her to look back and see their half hidden faces. They were watching Taura’s every move. Was her return that scandalous? What could they possibly say behind her back? Feigning confidence, Taura swam on blocking out their words. She could already tell that her sudden visit wasn’t exactly a welcomed one.

            “Your majesty!”

            Taura could hear the swishing of water behind her when someone grabbed her wrist and dragged her to one of the side hallways. Ready to fight back, she was relieved to see that it was only Hina, her father’s advisor. “Hina!”

            A skinny mermaid with a bright orange tail and the hair to match, quickly latched onto Taura and dragged her farther from the main hallway with a firm hand, “You mustn’t be here!”

            Hina tugged Taura out of the palace and made her way to the lower parts of their city. Taura tried to free herself from the mermaid’s grip but each time she squirmed around, Hina only tightened her grasp on the princess, “You’re supposed to be dead your highness.”

            Taura finally released herself from the advisor’s grip, “I’m sorry to disappoint.”

            The two ex

Please log in to read the full chapter