4

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Taura, what are we going to do? We can’t fight them.” Kora tugged at the older girl’s arm when Taura shot her a look that had Kora cowering inside.

“If we have to, we have to use our pow—“

“NO! You know that our father’s forbid us from using our powers. It is dangerous, Taura!” Senna swam to Taura but Ran held her back. The mermaid could see the hostility growing in Taura’s eyes if they continued to argue. She had a short temper that always ended badly.

“Stop quoting our fathers! They aren’t here and people are in danger!”Taura yelled at her friend as she backed away from her. Her aura as a princess overshadowing Senna, the other mermaid's bowed their heads. Taura’s eyes glowed blue and green again. She could feel her senses being overworked and looked away from the other mermaids. She hated how she sometimes lost it with her friends, but she also hated it every time they quoted something from their fathers’. They were their own mermen with their own morals but Taura had hers and she stood by them.

“AHHH!” from her enhanced sonar senses she could feel heavy vibrations in the water coming from where the ship was sailing and  could hear the distant struggle of a man in the water. Spreading her ability out farther, she gained a mental image of what was going around the human’s ship. She could see that four humans had been foolish enough to approach the Sirens and were being pulled down. Without even giving it a second thought, Taura bolted forward as her wake had pushed her friends back in the water, “Taura, wait!”

It took a few seconds for Taura to reach the area where Sirens surrounded the boat. It was completely chaotic as two of the Sirens were attacking the humans in the water while the other three were ripping apart the bottom of the boat. The mermaid’s first priority was to save the men. She charged for the Siren and came behind the woman wrapping her hand around her hair and pulling back harshly. The Siren screamed in pain when she made eye contact with Taura. The Siren hissed and with one arm still wrapped around the humans neck, her free arm rammed back hitting Taura in the cheek with her elbow. The mermaid swam back feeling the place she hit start to throb but charged again with her own hand ramming into the Siren’s face causing her to let go.

The man floated there in the water unconscious. He slowly started to sink deeper into the water, when something from under him pushed him upward. Ran swam past Taura as her own control of the water pushed the man to the surface.

“Taura look out!” Senna yelled out when the older mermaid looked back at the Siren who was swimming fast towards her. Taura swam down just as a strong current of electricity hit the Siren that planned to attack her. The Siren was stilled as electricity wrapped around her body and gave her a shock that stunned her unconscious. The other Sirens surrounding them, immediately brought their attention to their new visitors.

The leader, a blonde haired Siren with a sic

Please log in to read the full chapter