39

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

            Sehun and the mermaid stared at each other for quite some time without saying a word. Each taking in the other, the mermaid eventually looked away with a huff showing off the cut she had on the side of her face. Blood dripped from it down to her neck as Sehun spoke, “I’m not going to hurt you.”

            The girl scoffed and rolled her eyes as she shook the chains around her wrist, emphasizing the fact she was already tied up. Sehun came closer to her, step by step until the mermaid splashed around and sent Sehun a glare with her bright green eyes. He took a step back with hands up, “I just need to ask you something.”

            He stood back and lowered his hands as the mermaid’s eyes turned brown, “Do you know someone named Taura?”

            Alarm flashed in the girl’s eyes but as quickly as it came, it quickly left and the mermaid turned a cheek to Sehun who chuckled, “I’ll take that as a yes.”

            The girl side eyed Sehun with a raised brow as she whispered, “How do you know her?”

            He raised a brow at the sound her voice and crossed his arms asking the same question back to the mermaid who flicked her tail as much as the restraints would allow and looked down, “She’s my best friend.”

            “Well,” Sehun took a step closer, “she’s a friend of mine too.”

            This time the mermaid looked straight at Sehun with wide eyes as she gasped, “She’s alive, then? Taura? She’s been missing for almost two months, we thought she died when we were with the Sirens.”

            Sehun’s attention peaked at the mention of Sirens. So when he took her to his mother, that wasn’t their first encounter? He pushed that thought aside and shook his head, “Wait, Taura was supposed to return home yesterday. She didn’t make it?”

            “I haven’t been in our territory since Taura disappeared. I've been looking for her. But how would you know if and when she’d return home?”

            “I saw her yesterday, she said she was returning home…” Sehun trailed off as the mermaid tried to pull at the restraints around her wrist.

            “Look we can talk about the details later but could you let me go?” The mermaid eyed Sehun who only shrugged.

            “I think you are more than capable of getting out of those yourself,” thinking back to the multiple times Taura showed off her unworldly strength. The mermaid huffed and with one great pull she freed herself from the restraints, but was still left with the problem of her tail being tied down as well as the need for a body of water.

            Sehun figured, this mermaid could be of some help to him. She could know some important information. He remembered that his mother had given him an extra vile of some potion saying to use it if he needed a few extra days but without the disguise. Fishing it out of his backpack he had on, he held it up and shook the liquid inside, “Say, you wanna be human for a few days?”

            The mermaid’s eyes rounded as Sehun approached her with the bottle in his palm, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

          He cocked his head to the side with a smirk as his eyes flashed a light gray, “Ever made a deal with a Siren?”

*~*~*~*

           Taura and Kyungsoo walked side by side the following morning around the city, their normal fishing outing put on hold for the day. She was wearing the white dress Kyungsoo gave her while he wore a pair of trousers and a button up shirt. He occasionally caught Taura looking at him as he stole glances when he took her hand, “What do you want to do today?”

           The girl looked to the sky while tapping her chin, “What do humans do for fun in their free time?”

           Blinking rather cutely, Kyungsoo snorted as he rolled his eyes, “Humans, usually go to the beach, eat at the cafes, or window shop.”

           Thinking that the beach was out of the question, Taura tugged the boy towards one of the many stores in the city center with such force that he practically ran into her back. Taken aback he stopped as quickly as he could while Taura giggled, “Let’s go window shopping!”

           There whole day was spent running around the city doing human things according to Taura who seemed to enjoy the simplest things like swings, watching people play soccer, and cloud watching. To Kyungsoo she was just like a child curious as to what the world around her was like. He watched in amusement the whole day, just enjoying her company when finally it came to sundown. Taura see

Please log in to read the full chapter