34

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

           “Are you sure you don’t want to come with us?” Suho stood in front of Kyungsoo’s house with Lay and Chen by his side. All of them were suited up in their traveling attire, ready to get back out there on the water. They still had their jobs to do as merchants and with most men still gone, the kingdom was really depending on them for more supplies.

            Kyungsoo stood on his porch still in his pajamas with ruffled hair and hooded eyes, “I think, I’m just going to stay again. My grandfather isn’t ready to see me go back and frankly neither am I.”

            They nodded their heads in understanding while Suho walked up the steps to pat his friend on the back, “We’ll see you soon then, stay out of trouble.”

            “I will.” Kyungsoo croaked with his morning voice while Suho chuckled and left with the others. He watched their backs disappear in the distance as he leaned against the railing. He did want to go back, but he just wasn’t ready.

            “You’re still here?” A gruff voice sounded behind the screen door before it opened. Kyungsoo glanced over at his grandfather who was dressed in traveling clothes and had a suitcase in his hands.

            “Don’t tell me you’re leaving too?” His grandson groaned while the old man shrugged, “Thought you were leaving with your friends, so I thought I might as well get away for awhile too. Don’t want to be home alone again.”

            Kyungsoo sighed and approached his grandfather, adjusting the collar to his jacket, “How long are you going to be gone?”

            “A week or two. Going to visit some friends in Balma. You going to be okay, by yourself?” The old man leaned down a bit to look at the boy clearly. Kyungsoo didn’t meet eyes with him and only shrugged.

            “I guess so.”

            “Good, good. I’ll see you in a week.” His grandfather squeezed the boy’s shoulder before walking down the steps as he slipped on his hat. While walking down the street he whistled all the while causing Kyungsoo to smile.

            “Guess, I’m alone.” He mumbled to himself as he entered back into his house.

 

            *~*~*

            Taura swam in shallow waters after an hour trip through Siren territory. It was early in the morning and if she timed it right, she could catch sight of Kyungsoo while he was out fishing. “It’s around that time.” Taura remarked as she peeked up on the surface a few times to see that some fishermen were already out on their boats. The familiar sight brought Taura back to when she used to go out with Kyungsoo, sh

Please log in to read the full chapter