18

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

           Kyungsoo crept down to where Taura slept, but kept quiet as he took a seat beside her and studied her bandaged hand. For someone so quiet and frail looking, Kyungsoo had to admit she was strong. Both physically and mentally, he could only imagine what this girl in front of him has been through. She didn’t show it, but Kyungsoo was sure she had quite a story behind her stoic façade. Taura stirred a bit, her eyebrows furrowing together as her nose scrunched up. Kyungsoo leaned in a bit, afraid she was having nightmare. Should I wake her? Her head thrashed to the side and her legs curled up and kicked out as if she was trying to push something away. Kyungsoo immediately placed a hand on her shoulder and called her name softly. She didn’t wake. Instead, she let out a lengthy breath as her limbs straightened and her face relaxed.

            He took back his hand but continued to watch over her. Like there was anything else to do. The last thing I want you to think is that I’m just mad at you. I’m just…upset that you’re here because you’re going to get hurt and today proved that. Eventually, Kyungsoo found himself drifting off, head bobbing and all. Not wanting to sleep just yet, Kyungsoo stood up rolled his neck and shook his arms, “Too early.”

            “Hyung,” Kyungsoo jumped at Sehun’s voice when he turned to see he was standing right behind him, “it’s time to eat.”

            His heart was racing from adrenaline when he let out a gasp, “Is it? Alright, let’s go.”

            Kyungsoo headed for the kitchen when Sehun stopped beside Taura’s bed, “Shouldn’t we wake her too?”

            Sehun crouched down as Kyungsoo turned around to see that his face was a lot closer to hers than he would have liked. His jaw tightened while he could feel a jolt in his stomach, “Let her sleep.”

            It sounded like a command in Sehun’s ears. He eyed Kyungsoo, seeing his stiff posture and smirked as he curled a stand of hair away from her small face, “If you say so.”

            *~*~*

            After dinner, everyone excluding Sehun and Taura gathered on the top deck sharing stories. There was laughter in the air as they sailed along. It was already dark but the moon was out as well as an array of stars. The waters were calm with a soft wind guiding their sails.

            “So you all have traveled quite a lot, tell me, aren’t you ever scared?” The princess asked just as the conversations were dying down. Ten pairs of eyes looked around at each other when Kris spoke as he put down his smoke, “Always.”

            Mira turned to him with a hand on her chin as she rested her elbow on her thigh, “Of what?”

            “Pirates mostly…storms…”

            “What about what lies under the water? You’re not afraid?” Mira continued as she sat back and eyed the others. Some looked skeptical, others fearful. No one spoke up though, but she could see that some if not all of them were afraid.

            “Well, you should be.” The words left her lips in a silent mumble, almost as if she was talking to herself. No one seemed to have heard her, but Kyungsoo did. He was

Please log in to read the full chapter