13

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

            “You are the future of our people. When your mother and I pass, the throne will belong to you.”

            “Your main purpose is to find my Siren and bring him back and all will be well.”

            Just beside the bed in her room, Taura lay curled up on the hard floor with sweat sticking to her temples as she breathed heavily with tears running continuously down her face. She’d been in that position all afternoon, not that anyone noticed. Once notice that all able sailors were to report to the king for the search with the incentive of whoever finds the prince and kills the person responsible wins an amount of riches even he himself couldn’t dream of, Kyungsoo and the rest of the guys got to work preparing for their journey.

            Is this my fault? I put so many people in danger. My family, my people, the prince, and so many other innocent people…is this all my fault? Taura thought hard about everything, and from her one perspective it was all her fault one way or the other. She continued to cry, feeling helpless to it all, afraid that if she did anything more would only lead to more harm.

            “Sweetheart, open the door.” A soft voice, a familiar voice, Taura found comfort in called on the opposite side of the door. Taura sniffled; her body aching from her curled up position as she tried to stand. Her feet dragged and with a lazy grasp she opened the door. Kyung Jin stood there with a towel in hand and a glass of water in the other. His face softening the moment he saw Taura’s face, he himself even close to tears.

            “Come here.” He put the water down immediately and pulled Taura into his frail arms, only to cause Taura to weep harder. He shut the door behind him, knowing she’d want the privacy and set her on the bed to sit as he knelt in front of her to wipe her eyes.

            “Don’t cry, princess.” At the sound of princess, Taura cried harder. The man sighed and pulled Taura into his arms, like a father would to his daughter. “I’m sorry.”

            She shook her head and clung to the old man when he pulled away and placed his worked hands on either side of the girl’s face before placing a chaste kiss on her forehead. Her eyes widened at his actions but welcomed it nonetheless. She never received such sympathy from her own father, Taura always found comfort from herself or her close friends.

            “Kyungsoo and the others are at the docks preparing for their journey with the other sailors. Thousands of them, Taura, are going on open waters without the knowledge of what’s under them. But you know,” The old man’s raspy voice turned strong and wise as he spoke to the girl, trying to bring her back to her senses, “you know those waters, Taura. I may be selfish when I ask you this, but go. Go with Kyungsoo and the rest of them. You’ll keep them safe right? You’ll protect them? Taura, I can’t lose my grandson.”

            If she wasn’t feeling bad already, the weight on her shoulders was even heavier. On top of her people’s life, the prince’s life, the lives’ of the sailors, she had to look out for Kyungsoo’s life with the added pressure of his grandfather’s dependency

Please log in to read the full chapter