11

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

           Taura jolted up from her slumber, gasping in a cold sweat. Her heart racing and blood pumping. She could feel her whole body shaking involuntarily. Her hands grasped her hair while she wanted to scream out but was left with only heavy breaths. The mermaid’s first instinct was to find Kyungsoo’s grandfather but then she remembered. There were eleven other bodies in the house and her need for a story was not as important as their need for rest. She looked around the dark room, feeling confined by its four walls and slipped out of her bed.

            The house was silent. Only soft breathes, light snoring, and the sporadic shuffling could be heard as Taura moved passed room to room. All the doors slightly ajar she peeked in to see bodies sprawled on the floor wrapped in blankets. She spotted Kyungsoo’s grandfather through the crack in his door sleeping soundly with Kyungsoo on the floor beside his bed. As tempting as it was, Taura moved passed their room and headed downstairs.

            Each step creaked under her small feet. Then when she reached the first floor she noticed more bodies sprawled from the couch to the living room floor all fast asleep. As quietly as she possibly could Taura opened the front door and stepped outside, heading straight for the porch swing.

            With her feet curled up and her arms wrapped around them, Taura rested her chin on her knees and did her best to calm her mind. She had a mission to complete. How she was too complete it, though, was still unclear to her. Her first plan was to find the prince and hope there she’d find this Siren she was supposed to find and if that didn’t work she’d do her best to get the prince to fall in love with her at least to save her skin. Though, in the time she’d been on land she realized that was near impossible. Not just anyone could approach the royals of the humans and the prince already had someone he loved. Now, Taura thought only to live each day until her time would come.

            “Couldn’t sleep?” A voice broke the mermaid’s thoughts and had her jumping in her seat. With her heart racing once more she turned to where the voice came from and noticed that someone was sitting on the steps of the porch. It’s scary eyes.

            Sehun turned back to face the girl and lifted up a bottle, “Want a sip?”

            Taura stared at the green bottle, having seen it for the first time and got off the swing to take a seat next to the boy. She took the drink from Sehun and carefully placed it to her lips. Once the liquid reached her tongue and gave it a slight sting, Taura spat it out with a cough as Sehun laughed, “It’s not water, princess.”

            Princess? How does he know I’m a princess? Taura continued to cough when Sehun gently patted her back with a smile, “Sorry, I didn’t know you couldn’t take your alcohol.”

            The cold eyed boy Taura saw this afternoon was not the boy in front of her. S

Please log in to read the full chapter