Utopian

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

utopian [yu̇-ˈtō-pē-an] adj. -  characterized by or aspiring impracticable perfection; impossibly ideal

 

“How do you know who I am?” Junmyeon asked quietly as he stared down at Mihyun’s gentle hands that were tending to his wounds. He flushed when he accidently made eye contact with the girl, and averted his eyes before mumbling a soft, “Sorry.”

“I know everybody in the school. You’re a year 3 student, Kim Junmyeon, who ignores his academic potential and scores straight Bs’ and Cs’ in an attempt to persuade everybody that he isn’t the nerd they say he is,” Mihyun responds. She pauses for a few seconds before apologizing, “Sorry, that must have sounded rather creepy.”

Junmyeon quickly shook his head, not crept out even the slightest. He expected no less knowledge from the girl who claimed the top spot in academics. He bit down hard on his bottom lip, feeling the slightest bit bitter towards the girl despite the fact that he sincerely respected her. How was it that she was the academic star, yet was an exception to the taunts and jeers that he and many others had received from simply scoring in the top 50?

Junmyeon parted his lips to speak but was interrupted by the sudden rustling of bushes. Mihyun sealed a final plaster on to Junmyeon’s arm and smiled up at Jaesuk who was brushing stray leaves out of his hair.

“I apologize for not arriving earlier, Agassi,” Jaesuk bowed as he wiped his hands clean with a small cloth.

Mihyun simply shook her head and picked up her bag to pull over her shoulder. She glanced at Junmyeon and gave him a small wave. “I’ll be leaving now then. Will you be alright finding your own way home?”

Junmyeon nodded his head, bowing 90 degrees several times as a way of expressing his gratitude.

“Shall we get home then, Agassi?” Jaesuk asked as he held open the car door for Mihyun to enter.

Mihyun paused for a few seconds before shaking her head. “Change of plans, Jaesuk. I guess I’ll be seeing the boys today after all.”

Jaesuk glanced at her with light surprise decorated across his features. “Are you sure, Agassi? The business proposal for the new sector is due by tomorrow morning.”

Mihyun bit hard on her lip as she contemplated her words. She glanced out the tinted window to get a last glimpse at the broken Junmyeon before they drove by, and made her final decision. “Yes, please take us to the Noye house. There is somebody I need to talk to there before I can finish any of my work.”

 

 

The high tension that was radiating through the cages wasn’t exactly the warm welcome Mihyun had been expecting.

“Has something happened?” Mihyun called out gently as she stared at Chanyeol who was angrily moping in the corner of the room, picking at the dirt ground with a stick.

All heads darted up at the familiar voice, and the atmosphere lightened just the slightest bit.

“Mihyun! I thought you weren’t supposed to come back for a few days!” Jongin exclaimed happily as he wrapped his arms around the girl to pull her in for a hug.

“N-Not th-that we’re n-not hap-happy to s-s-see you!” Kyungsoo added in as he gave her a bright smile.

“There was something I had to do, but tell me. Why does Chanyeol look like a mix of a murderer and a lost puppy?” Mihyun asked as she glanced at the other from the corner of her eye. “Where are the others?”

“He and Baekhyun got into a big fight,” Jongin informed her in a quiet voice. “So Baekhyun hasn’t been staying here all that often, and he drags Luhan along with him, which of course means that Sehun is added into the bunch as well.”

“What did they fight about?” Mihyun asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Chanyeol accidently let the offer your father gave him slip out,” Jongin answered in a hushed tone. “And Baekhyun certainly wasn’t all too happy about Chanyeol’s plan to reject it.”

Mihyun immediately understood the argument that must have taken place, and slowly made her way to Chanyeol’s side.

“Hi Yeollie,” Mihyun called out as she petted the other’s hair. “What are you doing?”

“Drawing Baekhyun,” Chanyeol spat back as he stabbed his stick bitterly into the ground.

Mihyun glanced at the figure Chanyeol had carved into the ground and bit down on her bottom lip as she examined the practically mutated drawing.

“I don’t think Baekhyun has three eyes, Hyung,” Jongin piped up as he crouched down in front of the drawing to inspect the other's work.

“That’s not an eye, that's a second mouth because he obviously doesn’t know when to shut up,” Chanyeol sneered as he proceeded to carve the other a unibrow. “Either that or he just likes hearing himself talk so much.”

“Obviously it’s because I like hearing my own voice,” Baekhyun growled as he walked into the cage with Sehun and Luhan at his sides.

Sehun’s weary face immediately brightened at the sight of Mihyun, but he made no movements to acknowledge her in fear that she would see him as too desperate and needy. Luhan, on the other hand, feared no such a thing, and didn’t waste any time before he engulfed the girl into a tight hug.

“What are you doing here, Mihyun? I thought you had to finish all your work?” Baekhyun asked as he stepped forward to receive his hug.

“I needed to talk to somebody,” Mihyun responded as she patted his head.

“Who? Me, possibly?” Baekhyun grinned brightly, completely contrasting the deadly aura his better half was emitting.

“Sorry Baekhyun, but I need to talk to Sehun this time,” Mihyun answered as she sent Sehun a smile.

Sehun’s eyes widened slightly in surprise at the sound of his own name, and he couldn’t resist the upward twitch the corner of his mouth engaged in. He cleared his throat and stared at Mihyun in what he hoped was a stoic expression. “What did you need to speak to me about?”

“I just needed some advice,” Mihyun responded as she walked to his side. She placed a gentle hand on his upper arm and gestured for the two of them to leave the cages to speak in private. “Can you spare a few minutes of your time?”

Sehun opened his mouth to agree almost immediately, but restrained the eagerness of his tone. “Yeah, I have some time to give you.”

“Hey Sehun,” Baekhyun chortled as he leaned in to whisper into Sehun’s ear. “You need to work better on hiding your schoolboy crush expression. It’s written all over your face.”

“And you need to work on minding your own business,” Sehun muttered under his breath, but not before flushing a color of bright red.

Mihyun pretended not to hear the silent exchange that occurred between the two and slipped her hand into Sehun’s larger one to pull him out the door. She stopped briefly and cocked her head at Baekhyun and Chanyeol, “While Sehun and I speak, I hope the two of you will as well.”

Jongin and Kyungsoo exchanged glances and quickly bolted out of the room to evade the bombing argument that would soon take place. Luhan tried to follow quickly behind them, but was caught by Baekhyun who grabbed a hold of his upper arm.

“I don’t’ think so, Hyung. You’re going to stay here and make sure I don’t kill this idiot,” Baekhyun scoffed as he forced Luhan to sit down. Luhan reluctantly obeyed Baekhyun’s command and sent Sehun and Mihyun a remorseful wave. Mihyun chuckled at his expression and promised that the pair would return soon to relieve Luhan of his duties. 

“Come on, I know a good place,” Sehun spoke up as he tightened his grip around Mihyun’s small hand to drag her down a series of pathways. He wouldn’t admit it, but he liked the way her soft, petite fingers felt against his large, calloused ones. When he saw Mihyun’s curious expression, he further elaborated by saying, “There’s a little bench that faces the outskirts of the Noye borders. It isn’t great, but it’s the most private area you can find here.”

Mihyun nodded her head silently, and allowed Sehun to pull her along until of them arrived at Sehun’s said bench.

“What is it that you wanted to talk to me about?” Sehun asked as he plopped down on the dirtier side of the bench to allow Mihyun the cleanest he could offer.

“There is a friend that I have,” Mihyun began to explain as she seated herself next to the boy. “He’s in a bit of trouble, and needs a bit of reconstructing in his life, but I don’t know exactly what to say to him.” She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye, “I was hoping you could help me.”

Sehun stared silently at the trees in front of them, not offering any words in response. A period of silence engulfed them, and Mihyun was beginning to think that Sehun wasn’t willing to listen to such a petty story of a stranger until he finally parted his lips, “Well? Continue on.”

The corners of Mihyun’s mouth curved slightly upwards, and she continued

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter