Human

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Human [hyü-mən] adj. - Subject to or indicative of the weaknesses, imperfections, and fragility associated with humans.

 

A week had passed since Chanyeol’s public beating, and already the 6 Noyes accepted Mihyun as one of their own. They would smile when she smiled, frown when she frowned, laugh when she laughed, and all the rest; it seemed to be that whatever Mihyun was to do, the six were quick to follow. It was nearly frightening how infatuated they could have been with the girl within only two weeks time.

Although the group of them did share smiles and easy thoughts, Mihyun was hard at work whenever she wasn’t with the boys. The lawsuit she had filed against the Noye House a week back was looking very good on the side of Mihyun, and her lawyer announced that they should see a victory within the week, four days, at the very most.

The more time Mihyun had spent with the boys, the more work began to pile on top of each other, and finally it came to such an extent that Mihyun could no longer afford to spend time with the boys for a few days. Before getting started on her work, she sent her driver, Jaesuk, to send the message of her future absences to the other Noyes.

“Agassi? Agassi?” Jaesuk called out softly as he slowly opened the door to her bedroom. He sighed as he watched Mihyun hard at work, determined to finish everything that had piled on so she would be able to visit the others sooner. With one hand typing furiously on a keyboard, and the other holding up a book she scanned,  Jaesuk could practically see the health of his Agassi slip away.

“Agassi?” Jaesuk called out again.

Mihyun’s typing halted, and she spun around to face Jaesuk with lifeless, tired eyes. “Yes?”

“Your Noy— Your friends, they wanted to send you a message. The tall one with the deep voice, he said that he’s sad that you’ll be gone for so long, but will be eagerly awaiting your return. He wanted to send his gratitude for the medicine you had me deliver to him as well. The small one, Baekhyun, he said that when you return, you better have more games to tell them about. The stuttering one said that when you come back, he’s sure that his speech would have improved by ten folds. The tanned one promised that he would help the other in his speech, and that you must come quickly back. The mute one wrote that he wishes to see you soon, and that he will be eagerly awaiting your return, and… and there was one more…”

Mihyun’s ears perked up, “Sehun? What did Sehun say?”

Jaesuk stared shamefully down at his fidgeting thumbs, “I… I… forgive me for saying such vulgarities, Agassi, but these are the words straight from his mouth.”

Mihyun unconsciously leaned forward in her chair, eager to hear what her Noye had said.

“Tell that idiot to take her time coming back,” Jaesuk restated as he tapped his finger against his chin, recalling the words.

Mihyun’s face fell at the words, and she felt her heart fall with disappointment. She heaved a sigh and slowly spun back around to face her work, feeling even more tired than she had prior.

“Because I know that she’s going to push herself to her limits for us and I don’t want her to get sick. I want her to come back quickly, but healthy,” Jaesuk continued with the snap of his fingers as he remembered the entire phrase. He looked up to stare at the back of Mihyun’s leather chair. “A-Agassi?”

“You may leave, Jaesuk,” Mihyun replied in her monotonous voice.

Jaesuk nodded his head once, bowing even though he knew she couldn’t see. “Please take their words to heart, Agassi, and take care of your health.”

Once Mihyun heard the click of the closing door, she leaned back in her leather chair, unable to prevent the smile that stretched across her lips. Her heart was fluttering in happiness, ecstatic to hear such words come from the stoic Noye, even if she hadn’t heard it directly from his lips.

Feeling refreshed by the words, Mihyun found a new source of energy to serve as fuel for the rest of the night.

She awoke the next morning lying on her bed when she knew she had fallen asleep at her table. She stared at her ceiling with blurry eyes, sighing as the ringing of the alarm shot through her ears. The energy she had received yesterday had diminished, and she felt the weariness and tire claim her body and mind once again.

“Agassi, would you like me to bring your uniform, or will you be skipping school again today?” Jaesuk asked as he stepped into her bedroom the second she turned off her alarm. Although Jaesuk was primarily her chauffeur, he also served as her butler as well, even though his job didn’t demand for it.

Mihyun ran her fingers though her messy locks and blinked repetitively in an attempt to get rid of her fatigue. “Yeah, I’ll go,” she responded in a soft voice. “Thanks for moving me to the bed too, Jaesuk.”

Jaesuk frowned at the weariness of her tone, and he could see the exhaustion that decorated her face. “Perhaps you should skip it…?” he suggested lightly.

Mihyun shook her head and slipped out of bed to head to her closet, “I’ve skipped school much too often these past few days. It wouldn’t look good if I continued my bad attendance.”

“You don’t even need to attend school, Agassi, you already know all the material taught in the classes,” Jaesuk persisted, worried about whether or not Mihyun would actually be able to make it through a day of school.

“Please don’t argue with me, Jaesuk,” Mihyun responded in her familiar cold voice.

Jaesuk shut up right away, and quickly left to fetch her uniform for her. The two departed for her school soon after, and Mihyun almost immediately regretted not giving in to Jaesuk’s words when they arrived at the noisy campus. The loud voices did nothing to aid her throbbing headache, and she gave Jaesuk a weak goodbye, forcing a smile onto her face to help reassure the other of his worry.

She caught sight of a bunch of familiar boys, and quickly made her way through the hallways, hoping that she wouldn’t catch their attention.

“Hey Jongdae, look who’s back,” one of the boys whispered as he eyed Mihyun. “Why don’t you go remind her of that favor she owes you, huh?”

Jongdae frowned as he stared at Mihyun’s retreating figure; she looked even smaller now than she had before. “C-Come on guys,” Jongdae laughed as he punched his friend gently on the arm. “She’s been gone for a couple of days and she was probably sick, I don’t want to catch diseases from her, you know?”

“Don’t be such a girl, Jongdae,” his other friend laughed as he shoved Jongdae forward.

“Hey, Han Mihyun!” Jongdae called out with reluctance.

Mihyun sighed and closed her eyes together when she heard the call of her name. As much as she didn’t want to, she stopped mid step with her lips pressed into a firm line.

“Is there are a reason for you to be calling me, Jongdae?” Mihyun asked quietly as she turned around to stare her class mate in the eye. Jongdae’s eyebrows furrowed with concern at the weariness that decorated Mihyun’s facial features, but kept his worry to himself. Despite his unease, she knew that with his group of friends standing behind him, Jongdae would never fail to act like a jerk.

Jongdae arched an eyebrow and his lips curved into the nasty smirk that she only saw when he was with his “friends”, “Is that the way you should be speaking to somebody you owe a favor to, honey?”

Mihyun twitched at the name he called her with, but refused to let any emotion of irritation form on her face.  “Then do you need me to return the favor right now?”

“Why would I do that when I can milk it for all it’s worth?” Jongdae laughed as he threw his arm around Mihyun’s shoulders. He glanced over his shoulder at his friends for affirmation, and his smirk broadened when he was met with thumb ups of approval.

Mihyun clenched down on her jaw, but she wouldn’t act out rashly against the annoying other. It was due to him that she achieved her plea of protection for Chanyeol.  Jongdae was really a good guy, and it hadn’t taken much effort for Mihyun to attempt to convince him to do this favor to her, despite knowing that it would be quite a hassle for him to convince his own father. He said it was his way of apologizing for always acting like a jerk whenever his friends were around, but Mihyun still persisted to the fact that she would return the favor to him in the future.

Unfortunately for the pair, a couple of Jongdae’s friends has eavesdropped on the conversation, and wouldn’t let either one of them forget about the favor Mihyun owed Jongdae.  She and Jongdae were acquainted in a relationship that wouldn’t be classified as friendship, but over the point of bein

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter