Deferential

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Deferential [de-fə-ˈren-chəl] adj. - Marked by or exhibiting deference. 

Deference [de-fə-rən(t)s] noun- Submission or courteous yielding to the opinion, wishes, or judgement of a superior or elder.

 

The first thing Chanyeol heard when he regained consciousness was a soft, soothing melody sung by a familiar voice.

“Mi-Mihyun?” Chanyeol’s voice rasped against the pillow his cheek was pressed against. He blinked several times to get accustomed to his sudden vision, and realized that he was lying in an unrecognizable area. A chill ran through his spine when a slight breeze hit his skin, and he then realized that he had no clothing protecting his upper half. Feeling a rather uncomfortable weight on his back, he reached behind him to see exactly what was slathered across his skin. He winced at the sudden pain the touch caused him, and pulled his hand back to see his fingers coated in a thin layer of white cream. “Mihyun?”

“Ah, Chanyeol,” Mihyun smiled gently as she kneeled down at his side, happy to see that he had regained conciousness. She frowned when she saw the cream on Chanyeol's fingers, and pulled a few tissues from the table side to wipe his hands clean. “Don’t touch your back, Chanyeol, you need the medicine to heal your wounds faster.”

“Where am I?” Chanyeol mumbled as he stared at the unfamiliar room.

“You’re in my home,” Mihyun answered as she patted his soft hair.

Chanyeol’s eyes widened at her words, and he quickly pushed himself off the bed to sit upright. His face scrunched up in pain caused by the sudden action, but he continued to climb to his feet regardless. “I’m so sorry.”

“Chanyeol?” Mihyun asked with confusion. She stepped in front of him to prevent him from leaving. “What are you doing?” With a hand she gently pushed his chest back. “You should rest. Rapid movements will cause strain on your back.”

“I’m so sorry!” Chanyeol repeated as he dropped his knees. He placed both palms of his hands on the carpeted ground and hung his head in shame. “I’m sorry!”

“Chanyeol? Chanyeol get up!” Mihyun exclaimed as she tugged on the boy’s upper arm to pull him out of his submissive position. “Chanyeol, what are you doing? What are you sorry for?”

“I am unworthy to have stepped into your home, Mihyun, and to have taken your time. Please punish me,” Chanyeol’s desperate voice met her ears and he refused to budge from his submissive position.

Mihyun froze at the boy’s words, and she slowly slipped her hands off of the large male. She stood in front of him with her feet planted firmly into the ground, and with a cold voice, she commanded, “Chanyeol, sit upright this instant.”

Chanyeol flinched against the cold tone, and slowly rose his head to stare up at the girl.

“I am utterly insulted, Chanyeol,” Mihyun growled quietly with hard eyes. “Exactly what kind of person do you take me for? Punish you?”

Chanyeol’s bottom lip quivered under the cold gaze Mihyun held on Chanyeol’s face. He his dry lips, and he stammered, “B-But Mihyun, I am but a lowly Noye. I shouldn't have the right to enter the home of such a prestige—”

“Yes, you are a lowly Noye, and you deserve to be treated like the trash you are,” Mihyun interupted in a snide tone.

Chanyeol winced at the harsh words the girl threw at him, and he felt his blunt nails cut into the palms of his hands as he squeezed a tight fist.

“Is that what you would like to hear?” Mihyun's soft tone caused Chanyeol's head to snap up. His eyes widened as he stared at the girl's soft expression. “It isn’t, right? So why do you make it as if that is the case? Yes, you are a Noye, Chanyeol, but first you are my friend, and you are a human being who deserves to be treated as one.”

“Please, get up, Chanyeol,” Mihyun requested in a soft voice. “It saddens me to see you act in such a manner.”

Chanyeol’s bottom lip quivered at the girl’s kind and gentle words, and he slowly rose to his feet. The tips of Mihyun’s gentle fingers pressed against the bottom of Chanyeol’s chin to urge him to raise his head, and he stared shamefully into Mihyun’s kind eyes.

“Please don’t hold yourself at such a lowly level, Chanyeol,” Mihyun smiled at she stretched her arm up to shuffle the boy’s hair. “You are so much better than the things others might make you want to think you are.”

Mihyun was taken by surprise when Chanyeol suddenly wrapped his arms around her petite body to pull her into a bone crushing hug. “M-Mihyun,” Chanyeol whimpered, and she could feel small drops of tears roll off of the boy’s face and onto her shoulder.

Not wanting to touch the other’s injured back, Mihyun slid her hand upwards to pat Chanyeol’s chest soothingly. “It is alright, Chanyeol,” she whispered as she felt his body shake against her. Chanyeol was nearly twice her size, yet it was the small girl who provided protection for the boy.

A few minutes passed by with the two remaining in that position, and Chanyeol’s shudders had calmed to a still. “M-Mihyun, ca-can you… can you sing for me again?” Chanyeol requested in a rather shy voice. “Your voice… it makes me feel warm.”

A small smile graced itself upon Mihyun’s lips, and without questioning the other, she parted her lips to release a melodious tune.

Chanyeol’s lips automatically curved into a smile at the gentle voice, and he closed his eyes, allowing the soft tune rock him to calmness.

 

 

“Chanyeol, would you like to come down for dinner?” Mihyun asked the other who was lounging across her bed watching television. It had been quite a while since Chanyeol had last seen the animations, and he had been more than eager to spend several hours watching the newest cartoons.

Chanyeol’s eyes widened at her suggestion, and he quickly shook his head. “I couldn’t!”

Mihyun sighed as she slipped her glasses off of her face and closed the business book she had been reading. She turned off the TV with the press of a button on the remote, and held out her hand for Chanyeol to take. “Come.”

Chanyeol gulped at the girl’s strict tone, and he knew to not create any words of protest. He reluctantly slipped his hand into the girl’s much smaller one, and she gave him a small smile as she guided him down the stairs. Chanyeol’s heart was beating nearly out of his chest as the two walked hand in hand down the stairs, and he turned his eyes away from the scrutinizing gazes he was being stared at by the other workers. He could almost hear the thoughts going through their heads. How could a lowly Noye like him have the audacity to stay in the young noble’s home, let alone hold her hand?

“Ignore them, Chanyeol,” Mihyun whispered quietly, not even needing to glance at the other workers to know that they were staring at Chanyeol with distaste. “I apologize on their behalf, they are rather close minded.” Mihyun gave him a quick smile and a wink, “and they don’t know how utterly awesome you are.”

Chanyeol squeezed his eyes shut and he returned Mihyun’s head with a small nod.

“Good evening father,” Mihyun bowed politely as she entered the dining hall. She took her respective seat and gestured for Chanyeol to claim the one next to her. Chanyeol gave Mihyun’s father a 90 degree bow before slipping quietly into the chair.

“Good evening,” Chando greeted his daughter in return. His eyes zeroed in on the Noye that was sitting besides her, and the corner of his lips curved into a gentle smile. “Good evening, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol’s head darted up at the acknowledgement, and his eyes widened in surprise, amazed that the man actually knew his name. He quickly realized that he was being rude, and he gave Chando nearly 5 bows in a row, smacking his forehead against the table in the process. A bright red flush captured his face at making such a fool out of himself.

“There is no need to be so nervous, Chanyeol,” Chando chuckled as he gestured for them to begin their dinner. “I am grateful for you, and you are welcomed in our home. I was certainly surprised when Mihyun informed that it was a Noye that had come to her defense, and I am eternally grateful for your action, especially when you defended my daughter despite knowing that you would receive a punishment.”

Chanyeol flushed against the praiseful words and ducked his head down in embarrassment. “Please, sir, you make me sound much more noble than I really am.”

“Modest, as well,” Chando nodded approvingly. “Say, Mihyun, will you not reconsider the two Noyes you have chosen for Chanyeol instead?”

Mihyun and Chanyeol both froze at her father’s words, and Chanyeol snuck a quick glance over at Mihyun before staring intently into the glass cup before him. To become the Noye of Mihyun’s would be a dream come true, but he knew that he wouldn’t take that away from Sehun or Luhan, nor would Mihyun actually choose him over the two.

“If the lawsuit is to go clearly thr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter