Audacious

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

audacious [ôˈdāSHəs] adj. - to be recklessly bold or daring

 

“Sehun, let’s talk,” Mihyun stated firmly as she stood in front of the male who was lounging across the bed reading a book. He glanced up at the girl and immediately averted his gaze, knowing exactly what the other wanted to talk about.

“I’m kind of busy right now, but you can try again later,” Sehun mumbled out as turned his back on Mihyun by flipping to his side.

Mihyun rolled her eyes at Sehun’s behavior and tugged at his upper arm to pull him back. “Sehun, come on.”

“No,” Sehun responded, refusing to obey the girl’s wishes. He yanked up the blankets to tuck around his body just for good measure.

Mihyun huffed out a loud sigh and climbed onto the bed hoping to get better leverage. “Sehun, don’t be such a child.”

“No, I’ll be a child all I want,” Sehun replied with crossed arms and pouty lips. “You can’t make me do anything.”

Mihyun blew a string of hair away from her face, and sat on the bed with folded legs. “If you’re not going to face me to talk, then I’m just going to talk to you like this.” She sighed when Sehun didn’t bother to respond, and poked at him gently with her foot.

“I want to talk to you about what happened yesterday,” Mihyun began slowly, gauging Sehun’s reaction from her only view of his back.

“I don’t want to hear what you have to say,” Sehun finally replied after a short period of silence. “I’m not listening.”

He didn’t have to hear her words to know what she wanted to tell him. She was just going to tell him how a relationship between the two wouldn’t work. How dangerous it would be in the eyes of society, and how hard a life they would have to lead. He didn’t want to hear it if he already knew it himself.

“Sehun I—”

“Mihyun, could I talk to you? It’s about the… trip,” Jaesuk called out as he popped his head into the room. His jaw dropped slightly when he observed the couple that was seated on the bed, and stuttered a continuation, “I-I me-mean, if-if you… you have t-time, anyways.”

Mihyun glanced back to Sehun’s still figure that continued to lay unmoving on the bed, and let out a quiet sigh. “No, it’s alright Jaesuk.” She uncrossed her legs and slid off the bed to head towards the other. “It’s not like we’re doing any talking here, anyways.”

Sehun winced at the harshness of Mihyun’s tone, but refused to budge from his position on the bed. The sound of her footsteps faded away, and the door closed shut to signal that she was gone. Despite her absence, Sehun continued to remain in that uncomfortable position on the bed, his bottom lip tucked into his mouth as he thought hard about what was to come.

He registered the click of the door reopening, and held his breath as light footsteps approached him, hoping that the girl hadn’t returned for another round of one sided talking.

He felt the bed dip beside him, and a hand reached out to gently shake his upper arm. Realizing that the new presence wasn’t Mihyun, he glanced over his shoulder to see the white board that Luhan was holding up.

What’s wrong?

There was a long pause of silence, in which both Luhan and Sehun held a steady gaze on each other.

“I told her that I liked her,” Sehun spoke into the open air as he stared up at the ceiling, his hands tucked behind his head. “Yesterday.”

He was met with silence and finally glanced over at his Hyung when the silence stretched on.

“I shouldn’t have done that, huh?” Sehun said flatly as he observed the elder’s expression.

Luhan stared at him uneasily before hesitantly nodding his head.

“But why?” Sehun huffed as he jolted up right in his seat. He crossed his legs and folded his arms as he turned to stare at his Hyung. “Why is it so wrong?”

Luhan bit down on his bottom lip as he gazed at the younger. The corners of Sehun’s lips drooped, and his eyes stared at him with such sadness and longing. Luhan stretched out an arm and patted Sehun’s head sympathetically, knowing, yet not knowing, what pain the younger must have been suffering emotionally. He pulled Sehun in for a tight hug and gently caressed the other’s back, silently reminding the younger that he would always be there for him.

“Hyung,” Sehun spoke softly, clinging to the front of Luhan’s shirt like a child would to his mother. “Why are people so cruel? If it doesn’t affect them, why can’t they just let others be happy?”

Luhan didn’t know what to tell him.

 

 

The room remained silent; the only sounds made consisted of the clicking of Mihyun’s keyboard and the whips of air from Sehun’s harsh page flipping. Luhan sat cross legged on his bed, turning his head from side to side to observe both of the room’s inhabitants. After a few minutes of awkward silence, he finally decided that he could no longer stand the tension between the two of them, and opted to seek out Jaesuk.

He threw a sock over at Sehun to catch his attention, and held up his board when Sehun glanced up.

Fix it!

 He made sure to toss Sehun a noticeably annoyed expression before gliding out of the room.

Sehun mentally scoffed at his Hyung. Did he really think that Sehun didn’t want to fix the problem between him and Mihyun? Well, he technically didn’t, but that didn’t mean that he wanted to sit in tense silence with him pretending to read a book that was way too complicated for him to comprehend.

He peeked up from his book to see Mihyun diligently typing into her key board. He open and closed his mouth multiple types, summoning up enough courage to speak just for a split second before it disappeared. He mentally scolded himself for being so cowardly. Just do it, Sehun!

“I’m going to be gone for a few days,” Mihyun spoke out suddenly.

“What?!” Sehun whipped the blankets off of his lap and sat upright to gape at the girl. “What did you just say?”

“I’m going to be gone,” Mihyun repeated, her eyes still trained on the document she had been in the midst of typing up. “For a few days.”

“Why?” Sehun jumped out of the bed and stomped over to the girl’s work area. He grabbed onto the top of her leather chair and spun her around in her seat, forcing her to pull away from her work. “Why are you going?”

“I have something I need to do,” Mihyun answered as she stared into the boy’s eyes without even an ounce of hesitation. “Out of town, and it’ll take me a few days.”

“What? What do you need to do? Is it for the rebellion? You don’t have to leave for the rebellion, you don’t have to do that for them,” Sehun responded without even thinking about what he was saying.

Mihyun raised an eyebrow at his selfish words, “It’s not for the rebellion.”

“Then is it…” The inside of Sehun’s mouth suddenly went dry, and he swallowed hard before muttering his next words, “Is it because of me?”

Mihyun glanced up in surprise, and frowned at the hurt that was swimming through Sehun’s eyes. She lifted a hand and pressed it gently against Sehun’s warm cheek, “No, it’s not because of you. It’s because of me.”

“Are you leaving to try to erase your feelings for me? To try to get me to forget my feelings for you?” Sehun whispered slowly, his heart clenching painfully from the words that spilled from his lips.

There was a moment of silence, and Sehun allowed his fears to get the best of him.

“No,” Mihyun responded firmly. She cupped his chin and forced him to look at her. “That’s not why I’m leaving, Oh Sehun. So get that out of your head this instance.”

“Then why?” Sehun whispered as he stared back at her, insecurities swimming through his eyes. “Why are you leaving?”

“Just… just trust me, okay?” Mihyun asked after a pause. “Trust me, Sehun. I’ll tell you everything when I get back.”

Sehun opened his mouth to argue, but the look in Mihyun’s eyes told him not to even bother. He could trust her, couldn’t he? He’d have to.

“When are you leaving?” Sehun asked as he pulled away from her so their bodies weren’t within such a close proximity. There was another pregnant silence, and Sehun let out a soft, bitter chuckle. “Tonight? You’re leaving tonight, aren’t you?”

Sehun knew he was right when she didn’t respond. He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye, and chuckled at the sight of her expression. “Don’t look like that,” he sighed as he disheveled the front of her hair. “You don’t have to look so guilty.”

“I was going to tell you earlier,” Mihyun mumbled as she stared down at her fidgeting fingers. “I just didn’t know how.”

He crouched down to be at eye level with her and pressed his finger against her cheek. “You have to finish your work as quickly as possible and come back to us, okay? We can’t work without you, you know that.”

“Yeah,” Mihyun murmured under her breath, already beginning to regret her decision to leave. “Maybe I should just—”

“Yah, if you’re going to abandon your trip now, then you would have made me suffer through those horrible past 5 minutes for nothing,” Sehun scolded as he nudged her forehead with his forefinger.  He turned around and began to walk back to the bed in what he hoped was a cool manner. “Will Jaesuk be going with you?”

“No,” Mihyun answered as she stood up from her chair to stretch.

Sehun spun quickly around on his heels with narrowed eyes. “What do you mean no?”

“I need Jaesuk to stay here and watch over you guys,” Mihyun responded as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. “I can’t trust anybody else to.”

Sehun rolled his eyes and plopped down on the side of the bed, “We’re not children, Mihyun. You might remember that Luhan and I are older than you by a couple of years.”

“Mm, maybe I phrased it wrong,” Mihyun replied thoughtfully as she tapped her chin. “I need him to watch over my Appa.” Her eyes flashed dangerously and she added bitterly under her breath, “I don’t know what kind of stunts he’s going to try to pull if I’m not here to protect you guys.”

“Then who’s going to protect you on your trip?” Sehun asked with narrowed eyes. “I mean, Jaesuk Hyung makes me feel nervous because he’s kind of good looking, but if he has to stay with you to protect you then I’m all for it! How can you go off alone without him?”

“You think Jaesuk’s good looking?” Mihyun asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Is that the only thing I said that you heard?” Sehun scoffed as he rolled his eyes.

“I’m more than capable of protecting myself, Sehun,” Mihyun smiled at the other’s thoughtfulness. “But if it makes you feel better I’ll be traveling with an… acquaintance of mine.”

“No that makes me feel worse, actually,” Sehun responded without skipping a beat. “Who is this acquaintance?”

“Yixing, or Lawyer Zhang,” she answered as she began saving her documents to shut down her computer. “I’ve known him since we were children, and he’s helped me through some rough times.”

“So he’s a man?” Sehun asked with folded arms and a raised eyebrow. “Aren’t you going to ask me how I feel about that?”

“I would if I cared,” Mihyun replied as she fumbled with the clasp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter