Reverie

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Reverie [revərē] n. - a state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts

 

It had been three days.

Three days since Luhan and Sehun had suffered such a harsh and unjust treatment.

Three days since Mihyun had visited the Noye house.

Three days since Mihyun had lost even the tiniest fragment of respect she had left for the man she called father.

For three days Luhan remained unconscious, both he and Sehun bedridden from their injuries. For three days Mihyun had exchanged not a single word with her father. For three days she hadn’t slept, busying herself with the tasks of nurturing Luhan, taking care of Sehun, completing her work, planning for the rebellion; for the first time she pushed herself well beyond her limits, not caring for the consequences that would follow.

“You need to rest,” Sehun’s voice jolted her out of her thoughts, and she turned to see the other attempting to sit up in his bed.

“I should say the same to you,” Mihyun chided softly as she moved to help Sehun sit properly. It was the first time he had been able to lay down, for the injuries to his back had been so severe that the doctor forbade him from lying for the past few days.

“I have been resting, and I’ve been doing lots of it,” Sehun scoffed as he gestured to the confines of the bed he was restricted to. “Now it’s you that needs to take a break.”

“There’s no time for a break,” Mihyun responded bitterly as she blew a lock of hair from her face.

“Then make time,” Sehun replied in a stern tone as he reached over to tuck the stray strand behind her ear. He began to wriggle in his bed, scrunching his face at the pain his movements caused him. Mihyun was about to ask him what he was doing until he finally came to a halt, patting the space he had made beside him.

“Sleep with me,” he commanded as he lifted the blanket to allow Mihyun to slide in.

She blinked. “You’re rather bold, aren’t you?”

Sehun stared at her blank faced for a few seconds before a bright red flush captured his cheeks. “I don’t – You know – I didn’t mean it in that way, you know that.”

The corner of Mihyun’s lips lifted briefly, and she reached forward to ruffle the boy’s hair affectionately. She glanced back at the pile of work that rested on her table still needing to be completed, and let out a reluctant sigh.

Sehun grinned victoriously when Mihyun climbed in beside him, resting her head on the bit of pillow that Sehun offered. She closed her eyes after receiving a pointed stare from Sehun, but fluttered them open just seconds later. “I can’t sleep.”

Sehun chuckled, “You haven’t even tried. You must be so physically and mentally exhausted that your body doesn’t even remember what relaxation felt like.” There was a beat of silence and Sehun trained his gaze onto his open palms that were resting on his lap. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Mihyun muttered in reply. She closed her eyes and her sides, ashamed. Even she hadn’t told the other of such words, for she felt undeserving of them. She deserved every bit of the guilt she felt, and saw it unfit to attempt to relieve her guilt by professing her remorse.

Sehun parted his lips to continue, but pressed them together when he saw how uncomfortable Mihyun was. He stared at the back of her head for a few seconds before a small smile slipped onto his lips. It would be insane of him to say so, but he was happy. He would have hoped that he and Luhan would be able to stay with Mihyun in a state much better than the one they were currently in, of course, but he was still happy nevertheless.

It was selfish of him, he knew, to be happy even when his hyung remained in an unconscious state only 10 feet away from him; even when all of his other Hyungs remained uneasily in the cold, dirty cages, anxiously waiting news as to what had happened to him and his Hyung; even when his presence was nothing but an extra burden on Mihyun’s shoulders – he couldn’t help but be happy.

“Can I request something...?” Sehun asked hesitantly, peeking over at Mihyun to gauge her reaction.

Mihyun glanced over her shoulder, “What is it?”

“Can I… Can I hold your hand? Just one?” Sehun asked rather timidly, feeling so much more embarrassed now that the words had actually left his lips.

“No,” Mihyun responded curtly.

Sehun’s entire face fell, and he stared down at the lint on his blanket as if they were the most interesting things in the world. “Oh.”

“I’m just joking,” Mihyun let out a small laugh. She moved her hand under the blanket to find Sehun’s, intertwining their fingers when they finally met.

A blanket of silence captured them, both diving deep into the thoughts that consumed them.

“The doctor says that Luhan should awake within the next few days,” Mihyun spoke up as she trained her gaze on the still figure lying a few feet away from them. “He says his wounds are nothing too serious, and although there are a lot, they are rather shallow. Luhan hasn’t woken up yet because of exhaustion, not because there’s something internally wrong with him.”

“That’s good to know,” Sehun smiled slightly, relieved that he would be able to see the smiles of his Hyung within a few days’ time.

“Can I ask you something?” Mihyun asked slowly as she closed her eyes.

“Of course you can,” Sehun replied without skipping a beat.

“How long?” Mihyun asked after a pause.

“I’m sorry?” Sehun asked with furrowed eyebrows.

“How long were you here before I came? How long did you have to suffer?” Mihyun asked in a small voice. In all honesty, she didn’t want to know. She didn’t want the guilt in her heart to grow to an even taller height, but she knew she had to. She had to know.

“Don’t do this to yourself,” Sehun replied with narrowed eyes. “Nothing is your fault, so don’t—”

“How long, Sehun?”

Sehun stared down at her for about half a minute before he gave a sigh of surrender. “I… I got a glance at the clock right before we were brought into the backyard…”

“And the time?”

“I… uh…” Sehun mumbled. He sighed when Mihyun called out his name in a sharp tone, and reluctantly confessed, “It was around 2 PM.”

Mihyun inhaled a sharp take of air at his words; she hadn’t come home until around 6 in the evening. “Four hours?” she asked in a strained voice. “You stayed awake, enduring the pain for four hours?”

“Well no, I out occasionally,” Sehun confessed sheepishly. “But he was still at it when I came to.” He winced at the pressure Mihyun unconsciously pressed against their intertwined hands.

“Sorry,” Sehun mumbled. “I shouldn’t have said that.”

“No,” Mihyun responded in a small voice. “I needed to know.”

Another silence engulfed them, and Sehun squirmed uncomfortably in bed. He was such an idiot! He shouldn’t have told her the truth, let alone tell her about the bi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter