Imprudent

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

imprudent [imˈpro͞odnt] adj - not showing care for the consequences of an action

 

“What are you working on?” Kris asked curiously as he peeked over Mihyun’s shoulder.

“Just a sketch of the Noye house,” Mihyun responded absent mindedly. She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye and pasued the movements of her pencil. “How was your time with Jaesuk?”

Kris scrunched his nose at the memory, and scoffed as he rested his hands on the back of his head. “That guy really wasn’t made for consoling people.”

Mihyun chuckled in agreement.

“It helped though,” Kris admitted quietly as he laid down across the bed. “Having his company.”

Mihyun smiled to herself as she continued to work on the sketch, “I thought it would.”

“Do you think… do you think you can save them?” Kris asked as he stared up at the ceiling above him. “They deserve a better life than the one they’re currently living.”

Mihyun hummed in agreement, thinking about what other details she should add to the sketch. She glanced at Kris out of the corner of her eye and sighed silently to herself. After a minute hesitance, she tucked her pencil back into her case and pushed her chair back so she could climb out.

“Are you going to bed already? This early?” Kris asked with a raised eyebrow as he stared at the pile of work abandoned on her table that still required completion.

Mihyun pressed her hand against to stifle a yawn and nodded her head, “I think it’s about time I get more than just 3 hours of sleep before the sun rises again.”

“Baekhyun was asking for you today,” Mihyun spoke up as she pulled out her sleep wear to change into. She side glanced at him, “He misses you, you know. You’re like another Hyung to him already.”

Kris smiled fondly at the thought of the cute younger, and pushed himself off the bed to trail after Mihyun to the bathroom. “What did he say?”

“He wanted to know where you were,” Mihyun answered as she tied her hair up into a bun, tucking the loose strands behind her ear. “Chanyeol wasn’t all too happy about that.”

“He stares at me like I’m going to steal Baekhyun away from him,” Kris scoffed as he leaned against the door frame.

Mihyun eyed him with a raised eyebrow, “Wouldn’t you?”

Kris let out a mischievous smirk and pressed a finger against his lips, “Keep it a secret from Chanyeol.”

Mihyun shook her head as a soft chuckle escaped her lips, “It’s rather regretful you didn’t see them for another time, don’t you think?”

“You act like I’m never going to see them again,” Kris scoffed as he crossed his arms.

Mihyun paused for a second before she resumed what she was doing, “Life is rather unexpected, wouldn’t you agree? You never really know what the next day will bring.”

Kris hummed in agreement, excusing himself when the girl said she was going to change.

“Come with me to see the boys tomorrow, will you?” Mihyun requested as she slid under her bed sheets. She turned to Kris who was settling himself into the makeshift bed Jaesuk had brought for him a few days ago after being absolutely appalled that Kris had been sharing the same bed as his Agashi.

There was a beat of silence before Kris nodded his head in agreement, “Yeah, that would be nice.”

“Good night, Kris,” Mihyun called out as she leaned over to turn off the lights. “See you tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” Kris gulped in reply as he the letter that lay hidden underneath his blanket covers. “See you tomorrow.” He lied there in silence for the longest time, waiting for the timed breaths of the girl to signal that she had fallen asleep. Truth be told, he knew she had slipped into a world of dreams only a few minutes after they had bid each other their nightly greetings, but he simply couldn’t get himself to step out of the comfortable confines of his bed.

Was he really willing to do it?

Was he really willing to leave her?

He knew that by leaving Mihyun’s side, he was discarding all the protection he had around him. The chances of him actually surviving in the cruel world alone were next to impossible, and he honestly didn’t expect him to survive for more than 2 months, 3 at the very latest.

He took a deep gulp of air to summon enough courage to stick a leg out of his bed and onto the ground. A few more minutes passed before he finally followed up with the other leg.

He would regret leaving, he was sure that he would. Yet at the same time he knew he would regret it even more if he delayed his departure. After a large intake of air, Kris slowly pushed himself off of his mattress and onto the hard ground, cringing when the springs let out quiet squeaks.

After stealing a glance at Mihyun who was sleeping soundly in her bed, he decided it was safe enough to move forward. With slow and steady steps, he carefully maneuvered his way around the furniture of the room to reach the bag he had secretly stashed earlier that evening. He gnawed down on his bottom lip as guilt filled his system, knowing completely well that the bag contained goods he had snatched from the girl’s dressers and cabinets.

He stared down at the letter in hand, and quietly placed it on Mihyun's work table, hoping that it wouldn't get buried underneath all the other papers Mihyun had scattered about. He cast one last, longing look at the still figure tucked underneath the blankets, before finally making his way over to the girl's balcony. 

With his bottom lip tucked inbetween his teeth, he slowly pulled open the glass door, praying silently that the noise wouldn't cause the girl to jolt awake. He finally managed to open door just enough so he could slip through it, and stepped into the cold air. Kris eyed the wide distance between the ground and Mihyun’s balcony. His throat went dry at the thought of jumping down, and he wiped his sweaty palms against the front of his slacks. Perhaps he should have thought of his escape more thoroughly.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

Kris spun around at the sound of the amused voice, and his eyes widened in shock as he stared at Mihyun who was perched casually on the side of her bed. He his lips nervously, and his eyes darted from side to side as he tried to come up with some sort of cover up. “M-Mihyun.”

Mihyun stared back at him without even a hint of amusement, and he took a deep gulp of air. He knew there would be no point in attempting to lie to the other, for she would have been able to sniff out his lie the near second it left his lips.

“Didn’t think I would have liked to know that you would be leaving, did you?” Mihyun asked in a tone that was blank of any sorts of emotions.

“I did-didn’t thi-think—” Kris stammered nervously. He eyed the bag that was in his hands and tried to hide behind his back discreetly. He was more terrified with the judgments Mihyun would pose on his thievery than the possibility that she would turn him in.

“You’re right, you didn’t think,” Mihyun responded plainly as she pushed herself off the bed to make her way over to him. Kris held his breath the entire time she was stepping towards him, and he felt bile creeping up his throat from how utterly horrified he was. Once she was less than a foot away from the man, she held out her hand expectantly, “Hand it over.”

Kris immediately understood with great shame as to what Mihyun was referring to, and slowly pulled his arm away from his back. He couldn’t profess how sorry he was as he handed the sack of goods over to the girl, his eyes trained firmly on the ground the entire time.

“You aren’t too bright, are you?” Mihyun sighed as she walked over to her bed to empty the sack of items. Kris’s face grew more and more red each time she picked up an item to examine what Kris had attempted to steal. He was absolutely mortified, and for a split second considered hurling himself out of the balcony to fall to his uttermost death.

“Tell me something,” Mihyun stated as she leaned herself against the frame of her bed. “What exactly were you thinking when you took these things?” she asked as she gestured to the ex

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter