Affliction

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Affliction [ə-ˈflik-shən] n. - the cause of persistent pain, suffering, or distress that one often has to put up with.

 

Please note that any text that is in this color means that the words are being spoken in Mandarin.

 

 

“Just one meeting left, right Jaesuk?” Mihyun rubbed her weary eyes as she leaned her head against the car window. Her eyes fluttered to a close as she tried to enjoy the little rest she could receive before her presentation.

“Just one meeting, Agasshi,” Jaesuk confirmed with a nod. He glanced at Mihyun out of his review mirror and softened at the exhausted state of the younger. “The meeting won’t start for another twenty minutes, do you want me to drive in circles around the building so you can rest?”

Mihyun smiled at his kind suggestion and shook her head with a small yawn, “It's alright, I have to set up for the presentation. President Kou said that there’s going to be a businessman from China that’ll be present, so I should be there early to greet him as well.”

“Just bear with it for a little longer, Agasshi, you’ll be able to see your friends after this meeting has been concluded,” Jaesuk stated in an attempt to cheer her up.

“Yeah,” Mihyun smiled as she imagined the faces of the boys behind her closed eyelids. “I just have to get through this meeting. Did you make sure Kris safely arrived at Lawyer Zhang's place this morning?"

“I watched him until he was within the confines of Lawyer Zhang's home,” Jaesuk informed her reassuringly.

“It would be nice if Kris could be reunited with his family,” Mihyun smiled at the thought. The Noye had spoken to her earlier about the plans to find his family from before he was taken away, and Mihyun had suggested for him to meet with one of her old acquaintances. Kris had been extremely hesitant at first, but agreed nevertheless when Mihyun personally vouched for his reliability. 

Jaesuk nodded in agreement as he parked the car in their designated area.

“Will you be attending as well?” Mihyun asked with brief surprise. Usually Jaesuk would simply drop her off at the front of the building.

“Your father has been a bit concerned for your safety lately, so he’s requested that I accompany you to wherever you are to travel,” Jaesuk answered as he waited for her to climb out of the car.

Mihyun’s eyes narrowed, “Even to the Noye house?”

Jaesuk hesitated before he nodded. “But,” he quickly added in before Mihyun could voice her thoughts. “I respect your time with them, Agasshi, so it should be fine to bend the rules a little."

“I really don’t deserve you, Jaesuk,” Mihyun chuckled lightly as she shook her head.

“You took the words right out of my mouth, Agasshi,” Jaesuk smiled as he held the front door open for her.

“Han Agasshi, they are all waiting on the second floor,” the secretary immediately greeted the pair with a bow. She snuck a peek at Jaesuk who was standing beside Mihyun and flushed a bright red before quickly ducking her head.

“She likes you, you know,” Mihyun whispered knowingly as the two climbed onto the elevator. She glanced up at the elder and nudged him gently with her elbow. “What do you think about her? She’s very pretty.”

“Is she?” Jaesuk responded with an arched eyebrow.

“Don’t be like that,” Mihyun chuckled as she turned forward. “You’re almost about to hit your 30s, Jaesuk, don’t you think it’s time you found somebody to settle down with?”

“No.”

Mihyun rolled her eyes as she uttered a slight scoff. She immediately straightened out her face and stiffened her posture when the elevator doors slid open, much to Jaesuk’s amusement. The two walked down the hallways with purpose until they arrived at the familiar meeting room.

“You think you can survive for another two hours?” Jaesuk asked as he glanced down at the girl.

Mihyun pushed a small, tight lipped smile onto her face. “I’ve been surviving my whole life, haven’t I?”

“On the contrary, I think the boys have made you weak,” Jaesuk murmured with amusement as he pushed open the doors to allow her to enter first.

“Ah, Ms. Han has arrived,” President Kou announced as he greeted the girl right away. “As punctual as always.”

Mihyun greeted him with a bow as she shook his hand. “I thought I should arrive early to greet our foreign guest.”

“Always so reliable,” President Kou smiled as he clapped the girl on the shoulder. He was joined by another group of businessmen, all owners of important titles from presidents to directors. “Ms. Han, this is President Zhou, he’s been looking forward to your presentation. We have all put you in very good words to him.”

Mihyun gave him a small smile of gratitude before she turned to face the foreign stranger with an outstretched hand. “It’s nice to meet you, President Zhou.” She glanced upwards when her handshake wasn’t returned, and stared at the frown that adorned his face.

“Why have you presented me with just a young girl? Are you trying to waste my time?” President Zhou muttered angrily at the man that stood beside him.

Mihyun’s smile slipped just the slightest bit and she slowly retracted her hand back to her side.

“I apologize, President Zhou. I will inform the other men that you wish to have the child’s presentation removed in order to not waste any of your time,” the man responded in a quiet tone. He then turned to President Kou to translate the words in a hushed tone.

President Kou’s grand smile slipped as he listened to the words whispered in his ears, and his eyes narrowed at the information. His eyes darted from Mihyun to the foreigner, mentally debating who held a more meaningful position in his company before he would chose a side. Mihyun clenched her jaw once she processed the apologetic look President Kou granted her and watched as he opened his mouth to agree with the foreigner.

Jaesuk stepped forward with narrowed eyes and quickly interrupted the President before he could utter any words. “You seem to misjudging Han Agasshi based on her age, President Zhou. Han Agasshi is currently ranked as the top student at Whimoon High School and has already received grand offers of complete scholarships to the top universities around the world. She has an IQ of 186, one that surpasses even the greatest geniuses of the world, yet you ridicule her intelligence and capabilities because of mere –”

“Jaesuk, that’s enough,” Mihyun spoke out firmly as she shot him a warning glance. Jaesuk immediately pressed his lips together at the command, and bowed his head apologetically. She turned her chilly glare to the men in front of her, sending ice cold shivers down each of their spines. “I am fine with removing my presence from this meeting if that is what you’d prefer to happen. However, I should warn you that the information I was going to present would have been crucial to any future partnership that would have budded between your company and any other one in Korea. Have a good day.”

Both President Kou and Zhou almost immediately realized the mistake they had just made once the girl spun on her heels to leave.

“Child, if you could speak Chinese why didn’t you say so in the beginning? If this information is as important as you say it is, by all means, present!” President Zhou spoke in a state of slight panic.

“I’m seen as an insolent child in your eyes, aren’t I, President Zhou? Then I will by all means act like one, and will not differentiate my personal matters with my business matters. I will not discard my pride nor be the bigger person in such an instance,” Mihyun stated in a clear and sharp tone. Her eyes flashed a dangerous color as she stared staight into the eyes of the man before her. “The possibility of any business transactions occuring between your company and Han Corporations has now been diminished, and this will damage your proceeds over 100 times more than it will hurt mine.”

“Ms. Han, please reconsider his miscalculated assumption, President Zhou didn’t—” President Kou uttered in an attempt to salvage what he could.

“President Kou,” Mihyun cut in with a hard voice. “I had been meaning to pass a blind eye over the funds you have been sapping from Han Corporations under the guise of it being a “charity” due to the long relationship our companies have had with each other, but I see that your loyalty isn’t nearly up to par. You’ll be receiving a contract termination file within a few days.”

She began to make her way out of the room with Jaesuk right on her tail before she stopped momentarily. She glanced over her shoulder and added in, “And a lawsuit,” before finally taking her leave.

“You certainly know how to make a grand exit,” Jaesuk gently humored as the pair made their way downstairs. His attempt to cheer the other up was in vain, as Mihyun’s mood was completely spoiled with the turn of events. “At least you will get to see the boys earlier now, Han Agasshi.”

Mihyun’s mood lightened up the slightest bit. “Let’s get going, alright Jaesuk?” she sighed in a quiet voice as she climbed into the backseat of the car.

Jaesuk nodded obediently as he shut the door behind her before making his way to the driver’s seat.

Mihyun slipped off her shoes and pulled her knees up to her chest before wrapping her arms around them. She released a long and slow sigh as she leaned the side of her cheek to the caps of her knees.

That hadn’t been the first time her abilities were underestimated because of her young age, and although she had expected to be used to it by now, she just couldn’t. All of the sn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter