Angelic

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Angelic [ān-jəl-ic] adj. - Characteristic of one who manifests goodness, purity, and selflessness.

 

“Would you like to take Sehun home today and pick up Luhan after the paper work is completed?” Woosung offered Mihyun as soon as she joined the two others in front of their car.

Mihyun’s long locks swayed from side to side as she shook her head and dipped when she bowed her thanks. “I would like the two of them to stay together.” She caught sight of Jaemin eavesdropping from around the corner, and expressed her concerns in a more audible tone. “I will be checking back here every single day, and if I see even the slightest injury on either one of them, I will not hesitate to file a lawsuit.”

The two grown men were stunned by the young girl’s sudden hostility.

“I apologize for my tone,” Mihyun immediately bowed to Woosung. “I am not trying to say that the work here is abusive, but I would just like to see my Noyes untouched until they are under my care.” She flinched at her own use of the word Noyes.

Woosung let out a good hearted laugh and he clapped Chando on the shoulder once again. “Your daughter sure is perfect! I was afraid that her timidity and manners would get her taken advantage of in the future, but I can see that she can hold her ground perfectly well.”

Chando beamed at his daughter with pride and he accepted his friend’s praise with a wide smile. “We must be on our way home now. I shall see you in a month’s time, my friend.”

Mihyun bowed to Woosung once more before climbing into the car, making sure to shoot Jaemin a sharp glare on her way in.

“Are you happy with the Noyes you’ve chosen, Mihyun? It is still not too late to change your mind, you know. Woosung told me that the ones you’ve chosen aren’t really the best Noyes he has to offer. The tall one, Sehun, is rash and violent, and the small one is a mute,” Chando informed his daughter as he rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

“I am sure of my decision,” Mihyun responded curtly as she turned her gaze out the window.

“Yes, yes, you have always been talented in picking out people of substantial worth,” Chando smiled as he gazed proudly at his daughter. “You spoke quite a lot today. I was pleased. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard you say so many words at once, so you must have been very sure of your decision. You said you would be coming back here every day, then?”

Mihyun nodded her head in response, and Chando smiled in satisfaction. “You should spend some more time with Woosung’s kid too. According to him, there are quite a lot of girls after Jaemin.”

Mihyun nodded her head once more, but offered no words expressing her opinion. Nevertheless, Chando was content with his daughter’s action, and let the car ride continue in silence.

 

 

True to Mihyun’s word, she returned to the Noye House the next day. The receptionist of the building informed her that Sehun and Luhan were most likely residing in their cages.

Mihyun cringed at the word. Cages. She was even more disturbed at the way the woman said it, as if it nothing was out of the ordinary; as if the people living in those cages were animals instead of humans.

She was told that customers were not allowed to enter the cages, but because her father was held at such high prestige, they would allow her entrance. Mihyun hated using her family’s reputation as a way of getting what she wanted, but she had to admit that it was useful at certain times.

The cages were just as horrible as she had imagined.

As her eyes scanned the living quarters, she was now hesitant on whether “cages” was even the right word to describe the living conditions of the Noyes. The underground room resembled a prison cell, and the “rooms” were separated simply by iron bars that ran vertically from the ceiling into the ground. It was like a jail.

Each “room” possessed a sink, a small table, and 4 lumpy blankets spread across the dirt grounds. No, even a jail was more luxurious than this.

There was an almost pungent stench in the air, but that too had been expected. The Noyes were hardly given any food, let alone the chance to bathe on a daily basis.

“You’re looking for Sehun, aren’t you?” a sudden deep voice called out. “You’re the girl from the hallways, yesterday.”

Mihyun turned to her right and met eyes with a rather babyish looking male. His face was smudged with dirt, but one could still see beauty and innocence radiating from him. She stared at him for a few seconds, as if contemplating on whether or not the voice had actually come from him. Deciding that she must have found the wrong owner, she continued her gaze to look for the source of the voice.

“Yah, don’t just skim over me,” the baby face boy whined as he crossed him arms with irritation.

Mihyun stared at the other with amusement. How did such a childish face possess a voice as deep as that?

“I know you’re making fun of me,” the boy blushed as he kicked the heel of his foot into the ground. “Even if you don’t say anything, I know my voice is ridiculous.”

“No,” Mihyun stated slowly as she cocked her head. “I think I like it. It’s a nice contrast, charming.”

The boy looked momentarily taken aback until he cleared his voice, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. “If you’re looking for Sehun and Luhan, they’re not here, and it’s going to be a while until they get back.”

“Where have they gone?” Mihyun asked as she approached the tall boy.

“I think they’re on kitchen duty today. Hey, Baekhyun! Baek! Are Sehun and Luhan on kitchen duty today?” he turned his head to call out to the boy sleeping behind him.

“Yeah,” Baekhyun’s voice croaked back in return.

Mihyun’s eyebrows immediately furrowed at the sound of the other’s voice, and all thoughts of Luhan and Sehun disappeared. “He’s sick, isn’t he?”

The boy’s face fell and he stared at his companion with a saddened expression. “Yeah. He has been for a while now, but the guards keep stealing Baekhyun’s medicine to sell so he’s just stopped requesting it.”

Mihyun rushed through the open cell door and quickly went to Baekhyun’s side. She laid her hand against the other’s burning hot forehead, and frowned at the intense heat that radiated against her skin.

“Who… who are y-you?” Baekhyun asked weakly as he tried to open his eyes at the foreign presence.

“My name is Han Mihyun,” Mihyun responded as she slipped her pack from her back to rummage through it. “And you should know better than to go this long without medicine, Baekhyun.”

“W-What’s the p-point of… of asking f-for it if the g-guards are going to st-steal it?” Baekhyun’s chuckle quickly escalated into a cough.

Mihyun uncapped a bottle of water and pressed it gently against Baekhyun’s cracked lips. “Drink.”

Obediently, Baekhyun greedily gulped down the water as if he hadn’t drank liquids in a long time. Mihyun suspected that he hadn’t.

“What have the guards been giving him in return?” she turned to ask the taller boy he stood silently at Baekhyun’s side.

A dark expression took over his face and he bitterly replied with, “Nothing. They haven’t been giving him anything because they say that he’s going to die soon, so there’s no point in wasting resources on him anyways. I’ve been sharing my meals and water with him, but they aren’t enough.”

Mihyun’s eyes softened at the sight of the angry other, and she asked him, “What’s your name?”

“Chanyeol,” he answered.

“You’re a beautiful person, Chanyeol,” Mihyun stated softly as a gentle smile touched her lips.

Surprise filled Chanyeol’s eyes and he fell silent at Mihyun’s sudden words, not knowing exactly what to say in return.

“You won’t die, Baekhyun,” Mihyun stated softly as she gently pulled the boy into a sitting position. She pressed the palm of her hand firmly against Baekhyun’s back as support and gestured for Chanyeol to come over with her other hand. “Prop him up, please, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol immediately came over to do her bidding, and he held Baekhyun up with a hand on each of his shoulders.

Mihyun pulled a silver canister out of her bag along with a plastic spoon, and slowly spun the top of the canister off. A delicious scent wafted through the room, and Chanyeol had to swallow his saliva to hold in his hunger.

“Open your lips, Baekhyun,” Mihyun stated as she carefully slipped a small spoonful of warm porridge through the other’s lips. Mihyun continued to spoon feed the other until the canister was half empty. She then closed the container despite Baekhyun’s whines for more.

“You haven’t eaten much for a long time, and if you suddenly consume this much you’ll throw up,” Mihyun explained as she set the canister aside. “You wouldn’t want to waste all of that food, would you?”

Horrified at the idea, Baekhyun immediately shook his head. A tinge of red managed to flow back into Baekhyun’s cheeks to make him appear more lifelike, but he still remained a sickly color. Mihyun then pulled out a small bottle of red liquid, and poured a bit of it into the spoon before holding it against Baekhyun’s lips. “Swallow.”

“What is that?” Baekhyun frowned, scrunching his nose against the sour smelling liquid.

“It’s medicine. If you want to get better, you will ignore this taste,” Mihyun instructed. Baekhyun immediately swallowed the substance, and Mihyun patted him on the head as a reward. She pulled a small candy out of her pocket and unwrapped it before slipping it into Baekhyun’s mouth. “This should get rid of the bitter taste.”

Mihyun wrapped the silver container of porridge and the medicine before slipping it under Baekhyun’s blanket and out of sight. “Feed him the rest of the porridge at dinner time, along with another spoonful of medicine. I know it looks delicious, but you mustn’t eat the porridge, Chanyeol, or you’ll get sick. I’ll bring you something delicious tomorrow, but until then you can eat this,” Mihyun instructed the other before pulling out several candies from her pocket. She put the small caramels into Chanyeol’s hand. “Give Baekhyun one after he’s eaten his second dose of medicine, but he can’t have anymore, alright?”

Chanyeol nodded his head, and he slipped the candies under his own blanket.

“You should get to rest, Baekhyun,” Mihyun smiled as she gently helped the other lay down. “You will feel better tomorrow, so rest well.”

“Thank you,” Baekhyun managed to whisper before sleep consumed him.

Mihyun checked her watch and saw that it was about time to go. She climbed to her feet, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter